Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2015, 02:47 PM   #1

Undercarriage LEDs - Why?

A few MHs at the campgrounds have LED lighting mounted to the undercarriage to illuminate the ground below. Some leave them on all night. Just wondering if they serve some purpose, such as keeping away insects or rodents, or if people are just missing cruising the strip in their low-riders back home.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2015, 02:55 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Bling.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:07 PM   #3

We had some installed to help with the pack rat problem at our home. Some places we stay have field mice and snakes so it is nice to see under the RV as we come up to it.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:14 PM   #4

Undercarriage LEDs - Why?

Rope lights keep the pack rats away in the SW. My neighbor, no lights, $1500 in water and electric repairs.
They are nocturnal and light hurts their eyes, so they choose another target!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 03:15 PM   #5

I parked next to a Guy with color changing lights, all night. I don't get it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 03:30 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I installed 16' of them under both sides of my coach on separate switches/dimmer. We only extend our awning when using it and we don't hang lights off of it at night. By having the lights under the coach (mine angle out) we have plenty of light to see what we're doing, but no lights in our eyes. It actually makes the outside more enjoyable. You can look up at the stars, or just look around and not have porch lights, table lanterns or hanging lights blinding you or ruining the ambiance.

The lights on the driver's side are used if I need to dump or fiddle with water or electric after dark. We rarely arrive at night, but when turned all the way up, they illuminate several feet out to the side and would work well backing into a dark sight.

Since the advent of LED's many are finding better ways and using less power to illuminate their campsites. My two 16' LED's and switches cost a whopping $20.00. Some people buy an RV and never add a thing. Some like to personalize theirs and make them more user friendly and comfortable. To each their own.

If your complaint is that they leave them on or they're annoying, how is that different than any other type that is left on by someone who is inconsiderate. Mine are off when I go in.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I installed 16' of them under both sides of my coach on separate switches/dimmer. We only extend our awning when using it and we don't hang lights off of it at night. By having the lights under the coach (mine angle out) we have plenty of light to see what we're doing, but no lights in our eyes. It actually makes the outside more enjoyable. You can look up at the stars, or just look around and not have porch lights, table lanterns or hanging lights blinding you or ruining the ambiance.

The lights on the driver's side are used if I need to dump or fiddle with water or electric after dark. We rarely arrive at night, but when turned all the way up, they illuminate several feet out to the side and would work well backing into a dark sight.

Since the advent of LED's many are finding better ways and using less power to illuminate their campsites. My two 16' LED's and switches cost a whopping $20.00. Some people buy an RV and never add a thing. Some like to personalize theirs and make them more user friendly and comfortable. To each their own.

If your complaint is that they leave them on or they're annoying, how is that different than any other type that is left on by someone who is inconsiderate. Mine are off when I go in.

Don,
Outstanding answer! I couldn't have said it better myself. I installed 15' of cool white 5630 LEDs under the passengers side only. And, I put a small, 16" section of them, under the front lip of the entry steps. Both are controlled by the same switch.

As you state, it's an "ambiance" light in that, we can see what we're doing without any higher, brighter lights on. It was a fun little project. And, like yours, ours was a whopping, $11.00 for the entire project. Now, we don't and won't, leave them on all night. Some folks don't seem to think or care about fellow campers.

We also have an LED light strip mounted on the coach, just under the awning. It will light up the entire area if we want but, WE THINK about fellow campers and, when we're close-quarter camping, it's not on at full brightness or, at all.

it's just nice to have options for lighting, if and when needed. It has nothing to do with "Bling" or, bugs, or, rats or, anything like that. I did it for specific function of optional lighting, if and when desired.
Scott

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:14 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Would someone mind detailing for me how these LEDs are affixed and how the switches are installed?
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Would someone mind detailing for me how these LEDs are affixed and how the switches are installed?
I found that the double back tape that comes on the LED strings was pretty poor in adhesion so I used 3m VHB tape on the LED strings. Our coach has a support rail for the bays that runs the length of the coach between the front and rear wheel wells. That's where I stuck it. AS an extra measure, I went along both sides of the strip with a silicone adhesive.
I put a dimmer and timer in the rear electric compartment where the batteries for the engine are. I taped into the fuse block. I used a mechanical timer and dimmer. I typically set the timer for 3-4 hours, or however long I think I'll be sitting outside .... that way, if I go in and forget to turn it off, the timer will trip and it won't be bothering my neighbors all night long.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:25 AM   #10

Rexhall Owners Group
And where do we get these lights and switches and so forth. Amazon?
Old 05-04-2015, 10:40 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
One example:

http://www.amazon.com/Triangle-Bulbs...ed+light+strip
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:03 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
I found that the double back tape that comes on the LED strings was pretty poor in adhesion so I used 3m VHB tape on the LED strings. Our coach has a support rail for the bays that runs the length of the coach between the front and rear wheel wells. That's where I stuck it. AS an extra measure, I went along both sides of the strip with a silicone adhesive.
I put a dimmer and timer in the rear electric compartment where the batteries for the engine are. I taped into the fuse block. I used a mechanical timer and dimmer. I typically set the timer for 3-4 hours, or however long I think I'll be sitting outside .... that way, if I go in and forget to turn it off, the timer will trip and it won't be bothering my neighbors all night long.
Excellent info! Thanks!
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post

Here's a pic of the timer and dimmer I use. Timer was from Amazon, the lights and dimmer from Ebay. These have been on about 2 yrs now with no problems. I also have some other ones around the perimeter of the inside of the door for the outside entertainment center. When the door is open, it give out a nice light. On that one, I used multicolor lights with a keyfob control for color selection and dimming.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:33 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
thanks for the info cool project
kustom is offline   Reply With Quote