Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2006, 08:14 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Taking delivery of an 07 Diesel Pusher at end of this month. I live in the Buffalo area and do my RVing in the winter months.

Dealer has advised me to find a way to keep the underside clean as well as the sides. Any help on available tools or sprayers etc. or best practices is greatly appreciated.

JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2006, 08:14 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Taking delivery of an 07 Diesel Pusher at end of this month. I live in the Buffalo area and do my RVing in the winter months.

Dealer has advised me to find a way to keep the underside clean as well as the sides. Any help on available tools or sprayers etc. or best practices is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-18-2006, 05:51 PM   #3

We use our motorhome in the snow here in Colorado as do tons of others (as appears as RV's parked at the ski parking resorts).

I use a product called Salt Terminator, and spray it underneath the undercarriage after trips....the salt and scum dissapear and a protective coating will provide protection for your next trip.....

You need to buy the sprayer that comes optional as it dilutes the concentrated liquid....spray your undercarriage liberally....Good to go!!!
Old 10-19-2006, 03:36 AM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
I would use fresh water and a lawn sprinkler under the coach to rinse off the salt.

Some of the salt removal products contain phosphoric acid which reacts with the rust (Iron Oxide) to form Iron Phosphate (surface primer for painting). (Thank you to NormanD on IRV2 for putting me onto Iron Phosphate etc). Not sure if the acid is ok for other types of metal under coach. Not sure what's in Salt Terminator (trade secret ingredients ???)
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:13 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just reading your posts on salt removal and cold weather use of coach. I am intrested in using my motorhome on a winter trip to Montana. I am from California (central), and have no expierience in preparing my coach for winter use. What all do I need to do to keep things from freezing while traveling, and while in RV park? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I just have no expierience in sub-freezing temperatures.

Thanks,

Dieselclacker
Old 10-19-2006, 10:47 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
As I live in Colorado and was concerned about road salt on bottom of my vehicles I put together a tool to wash the bottoms. Used some 3/4 inch copper pipe with an elbow with a 90 degree sprinkler head on the bottom end, a 45 degree elbow part way up pipe to allow wand to go below frame easily with a on/off valve at top with hose connection.

Seems to work good with cars as well as the motor home.

Howard
Old 10-19-2006, 11:33 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Any chance to get a picture of the tool you describe?
Old 10-22-2006, 09:53 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Well the chances of posting some pictures were pretty good until my 8 year old helper deleted the pictures on the camera!

I'll take some more and try again.

Howard
Old 10-31-2006, 08:52 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
OK, I was able to recover the pictures and am working on getting them posted ... should have them available soon ... they need to be approved for posting.

Howard
Old 11-13-2006, 05:05 PM   #10

Jayco Owners Club
http://www.empirewasher.com/
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:13 PM   #11

They make extentions for your garden hose to reach and clear your rain gutters this has a bend allready in it and is telescoping so you can reach every where under. I would think this would work as well as anything and is reasonably priced at the big box stores. They also make attachments for power washers if you want to go that route.