Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2007, 07:57 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I was routing around in the video switch/amplifier cabinet (above the drivers seat) on my coach today and discovered a set of white/yellow/red component cable plugs that are not attached to anything.

Both the bedroom TV and living room TV both work with coaxial cable.

It does not belong to the sound system either. If I remember correctly I have a set of component cables attached to the living room cable (but that may belong to the DVD player).

The component cables are very hard to see in this picture, but if you look down the wall side of the cabinet between the wall and the switch box, you can see a bit of it. The cable is only about 6" long.

They come out of the front side of the cabinet, right next to the cable TV/Satellite hook up plug box right behind the switch box.

Anyone got a clue as to what these go to? Could they in fact be component cable to the main TV?

I guess I will have to take the trim off the main cabin TV (which is in the mid wall) and see if there is a component cable there too.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2007, 07:57 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I was routing around in the video switch/amplifier cabinet (above the drivers seat) on my coach today and discovered a set of white/yellow/red component cable plugs that are not attached to anything.

Both the bedroom TV and living room TV both work with coaxial cable.

It does not belong to the sound system either. If I remember correctly I have a set of component cables attached to the living room cable (but that may belong to the DVD player).

The component cables are very hard to see in this picture, but if you look down the wall side of the cabinet between the wall and the switch box, you can see a bit of it. The cable is only about 6" long.

They come out of the front side of the cabinet, right next to the cable TV/Satellite hook up plug box right behind the switch box.

Anyone got a clue as to what these go to? Could they in fact be component cable to the main TV?

I guess I will have to take the trim off the main cabin TV (which is in the mid wall) and see if there is a component cable there too.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:59 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I think you guessed correctly that they are connected to the front TV component inputs so that if you installed something that required an additional video input to the TV the connection would already be there.

Bob
2006 Honda in standby
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:42 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Gordon,

I don't have any component cables in that compartment, but then I don't have the SKT floor plan, either. I'd be inclined to agree with Bob. One way you could find out, without getting behind the TV, would be if you had a DVD player with a component video output, you could hook it up and see if you can set the TV to receive it.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:07 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I would use these to feed my satellite signal to my TV.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:32 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I guess I will have to take the trim off the main cabin TV </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Gordon,
Isn't there a removable panel on the front window side of the cabinet that is just a snap-on ?? If so, you can get to wiring inside the TV cabinet from there...
Old 12-20-2007, 06:40 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Sacs...Gordon has the 32" TV on that wall by the bathroom...you know front kitchen-mid-coach living room...at least I believe that is the SKT floorplan...
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:42 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Gordon,
The only component we had was to the original Sharp LCD. When I installed the 32" LCD I tore out the POS RCA and replaced it with a Yamaha receiver, HDMI DVD player and DVI SAT receiver. Left the component wire in place in case I need them for something down the road.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:24 PM   #9

picking a few nits:

a 3 cable setup with audio as red and white and video as yellow is usually referred to as an AV connection and it is a 'composite' video that is on the yellow cable. A small step up is replacing that yellow cable with an S-Video connection that has a 4 pin DIN plug on each end. Composite is not component! Composite has all the components combined together which is why it is called composite.

S-Video is composite with the components a bit better spread out so it can yield a bit better picture quality as the components are easier to separate.

Component needs 3 video cables plus the 2 audio cables. Component cabling will allow high definition video.

HDMI is DVI plus Audio and is, essentially, digital component video plus up to 8 channels of digital audio.

(and I had to go back and correct my typos confusing 'composite' and 'component' - it is so easy to get confused and make mistakes)

on the original question"

If you have an AV cable set not connected to anything, it sounds as if you are set to add something, like a DVD or satellite or some other AV source to your system.

now I am wondering, is it composite or composit? I better get back under my bridge ... ;-)
Old 12-20-2007, 05:25 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Well. I hooked up the composite video cables to the satellite to see what it would do. Nothing.......so back to square one.

I am giving serious consideration right now to replacing my 32 Sharp Aquos 32D40U with a 1080i Aquos 32D62U. If I do, I will be wanting to run a new HDMI cable for a Blu Ray DVD from the front cabinet (I will mount it on top of the satellite box). I figure that running the cable down the air conditioner ducts would be the easiest way to get it from the front to the mid wall where the TV is.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:59 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Gordon,
I have a set of component vidio cables in the front compartment over the drivers area. They run from a surround sound DVD/CD player/AM-FM tuner to the front TV. The TV shows the DVD video output on the "Aux 1" channel and the sound plays out from the surround sound speakers and a sub-woofer. Hope that helps.

Green lights and soft breezes,
Old 12-21-2007, 09:38 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As Bryant indicate a cable with red/white/yellow is called a "composite video" connection. It is there to provide better quality video that you will ever get with an analog RF connection.

A "component video" cable would be red/green/blue and would need an additional red/white cable for the audio.

In order of desireability (highest quality first):

HDMI: digital, single cable, HD, audio and video

Component: HD, 5 wires; video via red/green/blue, audio via red/white, PCM, or digital

S-Video: video in a 4 pin DIN, audio vid red/white, PCM, or digital

Composite: video yellow, audio red/white

Analog RF: one cable, video and sound
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:55 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Alvin,
Good description. DVI could be added to the mix as well. Same digital signal as HDMI but audio on separate cable and could be analog, PCM or digital.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Old 12-21-2007, 09:56 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Forgot RGB which is analog but carries separate horiz and vertical sync. Audio can be analog, PCM or digital on separate cable.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET