Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Unwanted Toilet Odor

I hope I don’t gross anyone out with this discussion, but I can’t figure out how to remedy it. We have owned several RV’s over the years, but this is a new one to us. After 3-4 days into a trip, our toilet will emit a strong urine smell (no jokes...please). This is despite the fact that the toilet and floor around it appear clean. There are three of us, myself, my teenage son and my wife. My son and I never urinate standing up in the RV, in order to prevent unwanted spills (sorry to be so graphic). Spraying the toilet with Lysol only masks the odor for a few hours. A thorough cleaning must be done, but even then there is always a slight lingering odor, especially during the summer. I really don’t want to clean the thing every 3 or 4 days. I’d like to at least go a week in between cleanings. I have poured water with disinfectant on the floor and mopped it back up, in case there was urine around the base of the toilet, but this did nothing.

Again, this is a urine only smell, not a holding tank odor. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #2

By any wild chance while you are sitting it might be that urine is hitting near the top of the toilet and running down the front outside to the area where the pedal and fittings are. Just a thought.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #3

If the rig was previously owned and somebody stood and missed a bit, it can be in the wood around the toidy. Kind of like at a bar restroom.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
If the rig was previously owned and somebody stood and missed a bit, it can be in the wood around the toidy. Kind of like at a bar restroom.
Another reason I would never buy a used RV. Lord only knows what the previous owner had done to it. Another reason I have installed urinals in the last two shops and one home. You can stand up to do it and not have splash and splatter everywhere. In the motorhome we have no urinal so I just go outside when ever possible. Do the same at home when possible. And alway sit down when I do it inside as that's the only way to keep everything in the bowl. And I am being green. Urinals only use 1.0 gallon water. Low flow toilets use 1.6 gallon and what a waste of water just to do a number one. If it's yellow let it mellow, if its brown flush it down. That if you are really short on water.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #5

Dometic model 300 toilets can have an internal leak that can cause them to store sewage. What model and manufacture are yours?
Old 08-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #6

If water is not staying in the bowl, could be the ball seal. If water stays in the bowl, check the floor seal.

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Go and get a portable black light and turn off all the lights and look around. Urine will fluoresce yellow, and you can see if urine is splashing somewhere. It's funny, I have the same rule in my coach. You have to squat or go pee somewhere else!
Old 08-06-2013, 10:06 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Craig.....If you can't find anything obvious, you might want to pull the toilet and check the seals. It could even have a cracked down pipe. I would want to make sure you're saturating the wood under the toilet.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #9

I have the same problem (Revolution LE)...looked & looked--had done all sorts of cleaning to floor and toilet--finally removed plastic housing that covers toilet from floor to underneath. It appears the toilet sits on a fiber or wood seal or base between the floor and drain pipe connection--over time urine from multiple users ( grand kids, friends, myself) had gotten into this material...i eventually will pull toilet and replace that fiber seal but have found good temp arrangement...put generous amount of Pine Sol (don't use cheap house brands) around seal area--let set for 10 minutes then soak up excess with paper towels and reinstall plastic shroud. Odor masked well for several days--also keep a Glades air freshener in restroom. Has solved the smell problem very well...just have to repeat if coach sets up awhile between trips.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:23 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You may want to take a look down the hole and see if you see a 1/2 moon of toilet paper down there.
Its possible the pipe between the toilet floor flange never got glued to the floor flange and the pipe has dropped into tank and material is now splashing on top of your black holding tank.
The toilet will have to be remover and floor flange removed from floor and very carefully pull up on pipe slowly so you do not brake the seal on top of tank.
You will need to lift up high enough to have sufficient pipe to glue into flange.
You may have to find new rubber flange gasket also when reassembling the toilet to flange for proper seal.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Another reason I would never buy a used RV. Lord only knows what the previous owner had done to it. Another reason I have installed urinals in the last two shops and one home. You can stand up to do it and not have splash and splatter everywhere. In the motorhome we have no urinal so I just go outside when ever possible. Do the same at home when possible. And alway sit down when I do it inside as that's the only way to keep everything in the bowl. And I am being green. Urinals only use 1.0 gallon water. Low flow toilets use 1.6 gallon and what a waste of water just to do a number one. If it's yellow let it mellow, if its brown flush it down. That if you are really short on water.
TMI!!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:15 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig P. View Post
I hope I donít gross anyone out with this discussion, but I canít figure out how to remedy it. We have owned several RVís over the years, but this is a new one to us. After 3-4 days into a trip, our toilet will emit a strong urine smell (no jokes...please). This is despite the fact that the toilet and floor around it appear clean. There are three of us, myself, my teenage son and my wife. My son and I never urinate standing up in the RV, in order to prevent unwanted spills (sorry to be so graphic). Spraying the toilet with Lysol only masks the odor for a few hours. A thorough cleaning must be done, but even then there is always a slight lingering odor, especially during the summer. I really donít want to clean the thing every 3 or 4 days. Iíd like to at least go a week in between cleanings. I have poured water with disinfectant on the floor and mopped it back up, in case there was urine around the base of the toilet, but this did nothing.

Again, this is a urine only smell, not a holding tank odor. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Craig
go to a pet store and buy something similar to simple solution. this solution will neutralize urine odor.

Simple Solution Stain & Odor Remover for Pets at PETCO
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Some very good ideas. Thanks everyone!

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If its a Sealand toilet it has a steel band around it and if not tight water will come out of bowel onto floor tighten the band will pull bowel and base together to stop leaking.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
odor