Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2007, 07:44 AM   #15

You are correct JoeT, very good point! That's why I'm lost on why a pump should be needed for a transmission in park and not turning.. What if the transmission was left in neutral...

2006 Liberty Toad
Onthroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2007, 11:20 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by campernut2:
Onthroad. Our mechanic, after all the happened, said that parts are still spinning and still need lubing. (My comment was thanks for letting us know that before!) I wasn't happy I certainly would have added that since we were very clear that it was going to be towed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I would look for another mechanic.

Towing Jeeps automatics with a transfer case that has a neutral position is simple. Follow the directions in the manual. It typically has you put the transfer case in neutral then put the transmission in Park. Nothing in the transmission will be moving, the output of the transmission is locked, the input to the transfer case is not moving, the transfer case is lubricating off of the output shaft.

If you want confirmation that putting the transmission in Park will stop any movement, park your vehicle on a flat surface, and put it in park with no parking brake. Now try to move the vehicle. In fact a lot of people use Park as a parking brake, not a good idea, but they do it.

If the mechanic thinks something is still moving in the transmission when it is in Park and the engine is off, he/her needs some more training.

There are too many people with automatics and neutral capable transfer cases and many, many thousands of miles with no problems. My guess, sorry, but it sounds like the transmission or transfer case did not make it into the right position.

If the transmission did not make it into park. Any other position (any gear or neutral) will cause transmission destruction. This would be evidenced by a perfectly good parking pawl.

A second possibility is that the transfer case did not make it into neutral. This would probably result in breaking the parking pawl and also destruction of the transmission. A transmission guy should be able to detect this.

A third possibility is that the parking pawl was already broken, from too much use without the parking brake on inclines. In this case putting the transmission in Park would not stop its movement. Result: transmission destruction.

So in summary, if the parking pawl is in good shape and works, then the transmission was not in Park. If the pawl is broken, either it was broken by not using the parking brake on inclines, or the transfer case was not in neutral.

alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:56 PM   #17

I tow an 05 Wrangler and tow it with the trans case in nuteral and the tranny in park. Never had a problem. I am going to buy a liberty to tow based on the ease of towing the wrangler as it tows the same with four wheels down in the 4X4 model. I think the problem you had is an isolated one based on others I know that tow the Liberty and responses here.
I agree that the mechanic needs more trainig if he suggested installing a pump to solve the problem.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:27 PM   #18

Thanks Alvinc! I appreciate your detailed response. When picking up our liberty tonight another liberty showed up with the tranny gone. Same year as ours. I frankly don't have the answer. Interesting that you say no pump because the mechanic tonight said that it should be fine without it. I do know that we aren't new to this and still use the step by step process in the manual. oh well...
Old 07-11-2007, 08:08 PM   #19

Yea for the liberty, glad you have your's back and hopefully it will give better service from now on. I looked very hard for the best one to tow before we made our purchase and 14,000 miles later it has been great a good tow, plus a good second car to have around when we're at home. The 4x4 comes in handy too when going off road at places like Big Bend.

Happy RVing,
Larry & Darlene

2006 Liberty Toad
Onthroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 04:20 PM   #20

Well I have to say that Jeep/Chrysler was top notch at their assistance and help for paying for our tranny and the towing and the rental. WE have a terrific dealership here in the Rockford/ Beloit, WI area. Bryden Motors is wonderful. WE have owned over 8 of their products in the last 16 years and they are a 5 star dealer for a reason. Nice to have it home again!!
Old 07-15-2007, 04:51 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Just one more important point.

The engine must be turned off before putting tranny in Park.

Test in the drive postion while engine is running to see if vehicle moves, then place in neutral, shut engine off then place in park. Dont place in park while engine is running.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:15 AM   #22

Thanks Steve, we did follow the manual and have towed for a year without problems. The dealership said that they have experience with some tranny's that had a weak part. That is the only explaination that they could give for what happened. WE have a new tranny now.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:47 AM   #23

"I always knew the Jeep Cherokee has always had tranny issues. We live near the Chrysler plant and have lots of friends who clued me in".

The smaller Cherokee's were made for 18 years and are considered Jeeps second most popular model, ever. That's interesting for a model that "always had tranny issues".

Unlike your Liberty, my '99 Cherokee with Select-trac has never had a problem. My many conversations with Cherokee owners has never revealed any with tranny problems. An internet search didn't reveal any Cherokee tranny issues.

Maybe your Wisconsin friends should have asked someone from the Ohio Jeep Cherokee plant where mine was made. Day after day it proves to me it's the best money I ever spent on a vehicle.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:19 AM   #24

well it could have been just a fluke but I don't know. It just makes me liery to tow...if you know what I mean. I love this vehicle otherwise.