Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #1

Updating brass hardware

Has anyone painted their brass hardware, knobs, lamps and so on? How was the out come, are you happy?

charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Painting anything and it will eventually come off.

I prefer to replace with new that are polished brass plated. Depending on the quality of the plating it takes a long time before the plating comes off if ever.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej View Post
Has anyone painted their brass hardware, knobs, lamps and so on? How was the out come, are you happy?

charliej,
Yes Sir, there's been a few threads on here and other RV forums where folks have done complete renovations to the interior of their coaches. And, that included painting the hardware. If, the prep is done correctly, it will last for years. But, it all depends on just how much time is spent on prep work. All the handles to all the cabinets/doors/draw fronts can be bead blasted in a bead blast cabinet in a matter of minutes. Then, a sandless primer is sprayed on and the final coat of a "brushed nickel" look. That paint is pretty tough stuff.

Now, as for the shower surround, it can be done in place but, the prep is different. But, it can be done and will look nice. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:12 AM   #4

When we bought our 02 Eagle last year, that was the first thing we did. Replaced all the cabinet knobs with a nice pewter knob and repainted the overhead lights with a silver paint. It made a huge difference to the look of the interior.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I painted my mothers kitchen cabinet pulls. The key is preparation. They looked nice and were durable.

But if your cabinet pulls are round like those in the video then a quick trip to Home Depot can get you a contractors pack of 12 or twenty four knobs for a great price. I would rather get new ones that way and install every five years or so if necessary than repaint.

We replaced our worn pulls with some very durable higher quality pulls. A different style as well and it made a very subtle and nice change in our MH appearance. Cost about $160 total but provided real lifetime pulls. We are glad we went that way.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
I painted my mothers kitchen cabinet pulls. The key is preparation. They looked nice and were durable.

But if your cabinet pulls are round like those in the video then a quick trip to Home Depot can get you a contractors pack of 12 or twenty four knobs for a great price. I would rather get new ones that way and install every five years or so if necessary than repaint.

We replaced our worn pulls with some very durable higher quality pulls. A different style as well and it made a very subtle and nice change in our MH appearance. Cost about $160 total but provided real lifetime pulls. We are glad we went that way.
Yup, replaced all pulls with Oiled Bronze, all metal light fixtures with Oiled Bronze, all sink faucets with Oiled Bronze. Left the shower surround for another day. We left the cabinet hinges because they had "weathered" so they are almost the same color as bronze.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC092593 new changes.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	46546  
Old 09-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I did the "gold" to "silver" thing to my 03 Bounder about 6 years ago. I was able to get the closet door frame and a complete shower in brushed aluminum from the manufacture of them (SEA). I was able to replaced the facets and towel bars but I never could find replacements for the drawer pulls/handles and hinges. The DW got some type of "Stainless Steel" paint kit from Home Depot and she used it on those items we couldn't find replacements for. It didn't look too bad when it was all done.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
We upgraded from "gold" to oil rubbed bronze this year. Replaced all of the hardware where we could. What we couldn't find, we had to paint; we used the new Rustoleum paint by that name. It's great stuff. Prep is basic and easy -- but time consuming. Several YouTube videos on it. Updating makes a BIG difference to the inside of the coach! You're gonna like it when you are done! WooHoo! \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:41 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
I used a primer called Killz to prep a brass mail slot in preparation for painting in aluminum tremclad. The mail slot gets daily use and gets letters and such pushed through it. The paint seems to be holding up quite well. Basically Killz seems to stick to most surfaces and is available at most Home Depot, Lowes and the like.