Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2016, 08:35 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Question Updating my tailgater vq2510r to a tailgater vq4500 mounted on roof

Several years ago I bought a Tailgater to use in my Motor Home. It is a great piece of equipment, well designed and works great. Yesterday I saw that there is a new and updated designed unit VQ 4500 that can be mounted on the roof. I ordered one right away ( $350 ). It looks like it will be an easy install. Of course, we all know that nothing is ever as simple as it seems on any Motor Home Mod.

Although the Tailgater I have now is fine and it’s portability does allow you to choose the best spot to be able to hit the southern sky satellites, it is just one more step that I don’t have to do to get set up. Haven’t decided if I should sell my present one, or just keep it and put in an A/B switch so I can use it in case the roof mount is obstructed by trees, etc. They also sell a kit that will allow you to remove the new one from the roof for like $28, but I don’t want to get on the roof any more than I have to.

Does anyone else have any experience with the new one, and have you found any drawbacks?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2016, 09:08 AM   #2

'installed' my King Tailgater 2 on the rear of the roof at the ladder just so I would not have to get up all the way on the roof to remove it if needed to the ground - but only had to even do that several times in 30k miles since we purchased it. Love it in the winter time as I don't need to set up my portable tripod dish antenna, and keep it ready as a backup in the summer months or when parked under trees.
I installed two threaded mounts where I screw in two threaded(1/4-20x2") studs that hold the unit on the roof. These studs extend thru two of the unit's mounting holes.
I can easily then remove the unit from the rear ladder and place on the ground, or somewhere else on the roof, and the studs keeps the unit in place when traveling.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:31 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
'installed' my King Tailgater 2 on the rear of the roof at the ladder just so I would not have to get up all the way on the roof to remove it if needed to the ground - but only had to even do that several times in 30k miles since we purchased it. Love it in the winter time as I don't need to set up my portable tripod dish antenna, and keep it ready as a backup in the summer months or when parked under trees.
I installed two threaded mounts where I screw in two threaded(1/4-20x2") studs that hold the unit on the roof. These studs extend thru two of the unit's mounting holes.
I can easily then remove the unit from the rear ladder and place on the ground, or somewhere else on the roof, and the studs keeps the unit in place when traveling.
mr t, was you able to use the existing cable, or did you have run a new one to the sat. receiver? if new, what route did yo take? under the rv or did you find a way to do it inside?
Old 03-15-2016, 09:01 PM   #4

Since I did'nt want to drill any holes, I ran my coax down the ladder, thru the engine grill, under the rear driver side, within the wheel well, and into the wet bay, where my coach coax comes out from my receivers.
All my connections are direct from antenna to receivers.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:35 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gerryl,
My 2008 Factory Trac Vision was going bad. I also had been using a Tailgater when my done was blocked and I was pleased with it. Therefore I purchased the new Tailgater. After removing the old dome I simply mounted the new tailgater and used the old coax from the old dome. New unit programs just like my older unit. I kept my original Tailgater in case I parked where I could be blocked. Been using the new one for 6 months no problem & I haven't had to pull the portable one out yet.
LEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:43 PM   #6

Motor in old Tailgater died (3yrs). Bought new model Tailgater and use it mobile as I did old one. Supposedly locates and sets up channels faster than old one. I DON'T SEE IT!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof