Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2012, 12:52 AM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Upgrade closet door light

I just ordered a couple of lever operated micro switches to install on my closet doors. Thought it would be nice not to have to fumble around in the dark looking for the overhead closet switch. I know a lot of newer RV's already have this feature built in. Did a quick search on irv2 but didn't see anything, surely others have performed this upgrade/mod?

Anyway seems like a fun little project and only a few bucks for the switches. Will post pics when done if anyone is interested.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Anyway seems like a fun little project and only a few bucks for the switches. Will post pics when done if anyone is interested.
Yes I have 1 light on a closet door that works everytime. I have 2 other switches on mirrored closet doors that never work unless I spin the plunger.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is something I've wanted to do as well. Please post pix when you're done!

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Was in Lowes yesterday looking for a light bulb among other things (Found one, not the other of the two I needed, found one like it but wrong wattage).

They have some small battery operated LED units with MAGNETIC switches, iike used on window and door alarms. Looked neat.

I use fixtures mounted inside the closet so don't use them but hey,,, I might have some fun with magnetic alarm switches.....later.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Okay, got the microswitches the other day so time to get started.

First I lined up the switches where I wanted them and secured, next I removed the closet light lens and switch, and fished out the existing wire twist connectors. The 12 volt hot wire (black wire on my coach) will be tapped into, the other (white) ground wire including twist connector will not be touched. I then measured how long to make the pigtails and crimped the butt connectors and terminal clips.

The microswitches can be wired in the switch open or closed configuration. I used a volt meter to find the correct switch position. Probably a good idea to wire it up to have the light come on when the door is open instead of closed

The closet has 2 doors and I wanted to be able to open either/both doors for the light to turn on, so the the pigtail is crimped onto the hot 12 volt wire (before power gets to the lamp). The 2 female slide terminals on the pigtail go to the left switch and other to right.

Using the other pigtail I connected the slide terminals to the right and left switches and crimped the butt connector to the lamp's black lead.

That's it, all done!

Total cost for this project $1.50

I had the wire and connections laying around so only had to buy the switches from ebay. $7.50 for 10 switches including free overseas shipping.
I was surprised with the good quality for price paid. The switches are made in Japan and rated for 15 amp operation at 120 volts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LampWires.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	19524   Click image for larger version

Name:	PigTails.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	19525  

Click image for larger version

Name:	LightWiring.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	19526   Click image for larger version

Name:	LightDone.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	19527  

Old 04-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Looks good Wanabee. Wanna sell any of your remaining switches? I need four for my closet.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sent you a PM

Tags
door