Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #1

Upgrading Headlights to HID...

I do a fair amount of nighttime traveling (live on the east coast and it is really the only time you can run the NorthEast Corridor 95 and not hit traffic).

I just ordered HID kits for 9005 and 9006 hi and low beam bulbs.

Anyone else do this?

I'll post pics of before and after

Mal

Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maladjusted View Post
I do a fair amount of nighttime traveling (live on the east coast and it is really the only time you can run the NorthEast Corridor 95 and not hit traffic).

I just ordered HID kits for 9005 and 9006 hi and low beam bulbs.

Anyone else do this?

I'll post pics of before and after

Mal
I would like to see how this turns out.

Daytripper63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would too.
But Consumer Reports says the shape of the reflector has more to do with seeing farther than does the brightness of the bulb after testing the new, brighter headlights. Yep, they are brighter, but that didn't translate into seeing farther.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:04 AM   #4

Maladjusted,
Well Sir, I haven't done it on the coach yet but, I did change to HIDs in my Honda Goldwing GL 1800. I used the 6000 versions which, have just a tad bit of blue in them but not overpowering. The GL 1800 comes stock with some seriously bright bulbs from the factory but, I thought I'd try the change out to see if I'd like them or not. Besides, it was only a $40.00 experiment.

Now, this will be interesting to see the outcome in yours. There's been talk every now and then about guys doing it but, I've not seen any threads (besides yours) lately about it. There was, quite a while ago, a thread posted by a gent who, went the whole nine yards and retrofitted his headlight buckets with "Projector beam" HIDs. It's been a really long time since I read his thread and, saw the sequence of photos he posted. It was a bit of work but, not that much.

If I recall, the outcome was phenomenal. But, I'd have to dig up the thread to recount what the total outcome was. Good luck. I too drive a lot at night, NO TRAFFIC AND A MUCH MORE PLEASANT DRIVE.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:14 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Newmar uses projector beams in their newer rigs. Never driven one to know how they compare to what we have.
When we did sales at cat shows we did a lot of night driving, not so much anymore though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:47 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I installed HID bulbs (1.5 years ago), removed the DRL relay and installed a standard Bosch type to keep the HID on all the time. The difference is like night and day. Love'em.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #7

Two things: Mr_D... my coach has projector beams for the lows, standard for the highs. While I agree with Consumer Report's analysis in theory, in practice, the brighter bulbs (not color, actual lumens) has produced better night vision. I did this swap on my 2010 Harley. The difference was dramatic! I would agree that projector beams do produce further light vs regular... adding HID would take it one step further.

RV Wizard.. I have DRLs and I asked the company about this (www.ddmtuning), they said "no problem". I may have to go the route you did... can you give me more info?

I am going to take still photos using a Nikon D5100 and hi def video tonight sitting in my driveway of the factory lighting. Then we will be able to accurately asses light projection before and after.

Stay tuned!
Mal
Old 09-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #8

Beware HID's can melt housings depending on how good they are in certain cars they can fry the wiring.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #9

The DDMTuning kits are pretty good. They come with a beefy wiring harness as well as an extra harness to go directly to the battery. (Or in my case the Positive stud on the front firewall.)
Old 09-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #10

Quote:
The DDMTuning kits are pretty good. They come with a beefy wiring harness as well as an extra harness to go directly to the battery. (Or in my case the Positive stud on the front firewall.)
I installed one of the DDMTuning kits several years ago, and it's still going strong. Made a big difference.

Fred
Old 09-25-2013, 03:53 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
[QUOTE

RV Wizard.. I have DRLs and I asked the company about this (www.ddmtuning), they said "no problem". I may have to go the route you did... can you give me more info?

I am going to take still photos using a Nikon D5100 and hi def video tonight sitting in my driveway of the factory lighting. Then we will be able to accurately asses light projection before and after.

Stay tuned!
Mal[/QUOTE]

I removed the DRL relay and installed a standard relay in its place.. The DRL relay drops the voltage to the headlights causing the HID lights to flash on and off. Changing to a standard relay supplies full voltage and HID light stay on when the key is turned on.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #12

Thanks Wiz! Didn't know that! Now.. I gotta track down that DRL relay!

Mal
Old 09-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Two things: Mr_D... my coach has projector beams for the lows, standard for the highs. While I agree with Consumer Report's analysis in theory, in practice, the brighter bulbs (not color, actual lumens) has produced better night vision. I did this swap on my 2010 Harley. The difference was dramatic! I would agree that projector beams do produce further light vs regular... adding HID would take it one step further.

Stay tuned!
Mal
I can't get your link to ddmtuning to connect, I get a message "not found".
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I can't get your link to ddmtuning to connect, I get a message "not found".
I get the link to work but have to type the .com on the end, might work for you too

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights