Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #1

Upgrading table and kitchen counter area...DYI?

My husband and I recently purchased a gently used 2003 Windsport 32R which is in excellent condition. We are newbies and wanted "if you will "to test the waters before purchasing a new coach. However we were thinking about modernizing the coach by replacing the fold down table and kitchen area counter-top which is relatively small in size. My husband has the idea that he could do this himself with little effort...however I have my doubts. Has anyone ever tackled this themselves or had this done by a local counter-top contractor? Looking for advise before we get ourselves into trouble!

Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #2

I've never replaced the counter top myself, but I've read several DIY'ers postings about it. Seem to remember from those postings that it was pretty easy.

If you are removing the dinette though, it might get a little complicated as sometimes they hide wiring, venting, and plumbing under the bench seats. I removed the dinette myself, changing it to a work station...computer & filing cabinet area. To do that, I rotated the fold down table 90 so when I'm sitting at the table, I have more room behind me, and a larger work area. Used the existing seat belt to hold the filing cabinet in place.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #3

I took out the fold down table in my MH. it was just screws. then put in a small cherry wood round with 2 small folding chairs.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #4

I think if the DH is capable of doing a good job in the house than he'll do good in the MH. Plus, it will be nice to have the MH customized to your tastes.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #5

Do you have a metal storage vent/compartment under each of the bench seats at your present table? If so, how are you/your husband going to deal w/those? Remove them? Make them into something else?
Old 11-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
My previous coach was a 2000 Winnebago 35U. It had a counter that was like corian but not corian. There was a crack on the countertop and the edge was comming apart. I took it to a local countertop maker. They used some stuff that they had to repair corian countertops. The color match was almost spot on. When they were doing the repairs I asked if they could replace the countertop (Build a new one). They said that they could and quoteted me a price of about $1200. I would have been a project that I would have had done over a winter storage time. I did not get it done because the repairs looked great.

We also ended up replacing the dinette and the dinette table as well as the flooring. The table we chose was an Amish oak table with leafs and I think I could have done the table replacement myself if I had to.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #7

We replaced the counter top in our mh earlier this year. We had it made at home depot,,,(well, they didn't make it, some cabinet shop made it through them). Don't remember, but seems it was only a couple hundred bucks. We love it, except the trim we used was like vinal in rolls with self adhesive. It looked great for about a week, then started pulling away.. So we'll redo the trim as soon as we find some that looks good. The counter top was an easy replacement..
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You can get counters at HD or Lowe's to cut for any length you need. You would have to cut opening for sink and stove but measure and than measure again before cutting.
As for a new dinette area with a table and chairs you can add a credenza with two kitchen wall cabinets for base and add the counter top of your choosing.
You can go to QT's 1 & 2 to item #3 for a example.

WELCOME TO IRV2.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #9

We had ours done by a local solid surface installer (generic name for Corian) Was under $2000 for kitchen, replace fold down table top, bathroom vanity and bedroom nightstand tops. Esentially every formica counter top surface in the coach. They did a great job and the related that they do quite a number of motorhomes upfits for one of the larger RV dealers here in Houston. Was well worth the cost.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbuskirk View Post
My husband and I recently purchased a gently used 2003 Windsport 32R which is in excellent condition. We are newbies and wanted "if you will "to test the waters before purchasing a new coach. However we were thinking about modernizing the coach by replacing the fold down table and kitchen area counter-top which is relatively small in size. My husband has the idea that he could do this himself with little effort...however I have my doubts. Has anyone ever tackled this themselves or had this done by a local counter-top contractor? Looking for advise before we get ourselves into trouble!
We had ours done by this company. They are in WA and not too close to you but the website may give you some ideas as to what is possible.
Custom RV Remodeling & Repair @ Truline RV
Old 11-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #11

Thank you all for your responses and advice. To answer the first question we are planning on retaining the booth just refinishing the table. I think that DH will do all the prep work and just take the table and counter-top to the cabinet maker for the laminate install. Would have loved to install granite or a solid surface but after investigating we both agreed that we did not want to take on the added weight especially the table of which we sometimes use for sleeping when the grandson decides to accompany us. Thanks for the links to the photo galleries.... First the counter-tops and then onto the flooring. Not sure DH is as excited as I am ..LOL

Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote