Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
Scandinavian Chapter

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
UREA tank ???

Can someone please fill me in on this subject!!!

What I think I know is that future engines now will be fitted with an additional tank containing UREA that will lower engine emmisions.

Who will this apply to? Will we have to fit this to existing engines or is this for new engines on new coaches???

Will "old engines" be effected by this change???

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I know as far as diesel trucks used for towing RV's 2011's will have the new UREA system except Dodge Rams. The new 2011 Ford's diesels I believe are out right now or early June. As far as MH's I'm not sure...

2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:35 PM   #3

No worries on old engines. This is one solution to meeting the 2010 EPA standards which apply only to engines produced after 1/1/2010. Many manufacturers stocked up on enough '09 engines to see them through the '10 model year. Domestically Cummins is going the Urea tank route and Navistar is going the EGR route which requires nothing of the operator.

Steve O
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The emissions spec is not retroactive, so your engine only has to meat the requirements as of it's manufacturer date.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Miniature Schnauzer, one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
I did see two truck stops out west that were already selling urea at one of their pumps so it is definitely coming.
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:24 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Discussed this a lot at camp Freightliner last month. Tank locations, p ing in tank, amount, etc. Some new engines will require it. Those will take approx. 5 gals urea to approx 100 gals of diesel. If you get a low level (urea) warning, you will still be able to drive but not over 35 mph. No you can't use urine and the special type of urea is rapidly becoming readily available at most truck stops. If I remember the tank looked only like a 5 or 10 gal size. I didn't pay too close attention because it is not retroactive.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:42 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The proper name is Diesel Exhaust Fluid. And while the active ingredient is urea, that ain't the same as urine, so no bio-waste in the DEF tank, please.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #8
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
I did see two truck stops out west that were already selling urea at one of their pumps so it is definitely coming.
You can buy PEAK Blue-DEF here at the local NAPA store in gallon containers for $6.00 a gallon.

DEF is also available the truck stops I visited here in South Carolina and it's avalable there in 2.5 gallon containers for about 16.00.

Out by the pumps I expect that they will be making DEF available in 300 gallon containers. Below is the Blue-DEF product line from Peak.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:59 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
There's a few good write up's about it on the net, just Google UREA or SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction)

The claim is although it will appear to cost more due to having to fill the DEF tank it's not all that much more, because "according to Cummins" this technology gets rid of the old style EGR that recirculated the exhaust back thru the intake to reburn, it means a better and more efficient burn with SCR. Which "again according to Cummins" means more power and even a bit more mileage.

The worst part is the additional cost of the diesel engine. I've read claims of between $10K to $12K to the purchase price of a vehicle with this technology. But since they claim they're getting rid of the old style EGR which did have some physical items added to an engine it would seem the cost shouldn't be that much more. But, of course we know they must get their R&D expenditures paid back, and guess who pays that.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:42 AM   #10
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob (WA0MQE) View Post
The claim is although it will appear to cost more due to having to fill the DEF tank it's not all that much more, because "according to Cummins" this technology gets rid of the old style EGR that recirculated the exhaust back thru the intake to return, it means a better and more efficient burn with SCR. Which "again according to Cummins" means more power and even a bit more mileage.

The worst part is the additional cost of the diesel engine. I've read claims of between $10K to $12K to the purchase price of a vehicle with this technology. But since they claim they're getting rid of the old style EGR which did have some physical items added to an engine it would seem the cost shouldn't be that much more. But, of course we know they must get their R&D expenditures paid back, and guess who pays that.
Bob, SCR engines still use EGR strategy and that technology is not being removed. SCR was added to the mix as an after treatment system. Understand what's "old style" and what's new is all in the eye of the beholder basically for marketing purposes.

I recently posted a Press Release here: Navistar Resolves NOx Dispute with EPA In the PR you will see where the allegations that were made by Navistar and sustained by the court show where SCR will not always operate within the standard set forward by the new emissions regulations. Further it is alleged or fact that the SCR Group wrote the regulations. It's nice when you can get an agency to set the standard, write the regulations and field the technology at the expense of another company (Navistar) that is fielding a solution that works all the time, AEGR or Advanced EGR.

The BIG advantage of SCR is to be able to take an 07 Emission Engine and add a DPF, ATD (After Treatment System) which is the SCR Catalyst, Dosing Valve and a DEF Tank. SCR can take an already good running engine and treat the emissions downstream without getting into the engine itself. That's a good thing. The only thing that folks are going to be questioning is purchasing UREA and the few inconveniences inherent in the technology.

Navistar's Technology will offer that no UREA is required and that all the emission tasks are accomplished internally without the added expense of the UREA and the supporting infrastructure.

JB Hunt which buys a large amount of trucks Navistar and J.B. Hunt Sign Five-Year Supply Agreement who buy a lot of OTR trucks are going with AEGR MaxxForce Engines. The reasons that are stated in the article I believe will extend to other large organizations because of the manner in which 2010 emissions are implemented.

More important to the RV Community is that Monaco RV LLC will be implementing AEGR engines by switching from Cummins to a line of MaxxForce engines in all RDP applications. Tiffin is using the MF7 as is Four Winds.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:37 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Price increase for 2011 big rigs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob (WA0MQE) View Post
There's a few good write up's about it on the net, just Google UREA or SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction)

The claim is although it will appear to cost more due to having to fill the DEF tank it's not all that much more, because "according to Cummins" this technology gets rid of the old style EGR that recirculated the exhaust back thru the intake to reburn, it means a better and more efficient burn with SCR. Which "again according to Cummins" means more power and even a bit more mileage.

I just spoke to a tech at a Winnebago/Itasca Dealership and he said that the 2011 large coaches 40-45 ft (and some newer 2010's) will have an approximate increase of $30,000 due to the new regulations. They are expecting a 10% increase in mileage. I have a suspicion that the 2010 and older coaches on dealer's lots will sell fast as buyers attempt to avoid the price jump. Joe
Old 08-31-2010, 07:48 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The new (2011) Winnebago/Itasca View, Navion, Reyo and Via that are built on the 2010 MB Sprinter chassis have the DEF tank...my understanding is they need to be refilled at ~ 10,000 miles...which is in conjunction of the MB recommended oil and fuel filter change.
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:14 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
The biggest thing with the 2010 emission compliant engines as mentioned above is the price increases. Freightliner told Newmar that a FCCC chassis with 2010 Cummins emission compliant engines would increase the average price of a motorhome by $12K to $16K. Cummins is using DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) after-treatment technology, whereas Navistar is utilizing an "in cyclinder" approach. FCCC & Cummins figures around 2% Def of diesel fuel consumption. Cummins example states that if a user were to drive 10K miles @ 7MPG they would expect to a fill 12 gallon DEF tank 3 times @ an addition cost of approx $4/gal for the DEF.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:35 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just to add a little real user feedback.....

We have ~1100 miles on our 2011 Fleetwood Revolution LE since we took possession. The DEF tank (10 gal capacity) was full when we left Fleetwood. We are now down to 3/4 of a tank left. I know, not very scientific, but thats all the info on our DEF usage I have right now. I will say we are getting decidedly better mileage than our previous MH (2009 Fleetwood Providence 40X) with the 8.3L engine. Also, noticeably better performance with a much heavier coach, and I'll go on to say, ride difference, WOW!

Ron K.