Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2008, 08:07 AM   #1

Hi Folks!

Well, we did it! Yesterday we went and put our $$$ down on a 2007 Newmar Bay Star Class A MH (32 ft.). We are so excited! Moving on up from two different fifth wheels to a Class A.

Needless to say, the finance guy offered us the extended warrantee when he had us there. $4117. for 7 years (the first years "overlapping" the manufacturer's warrantte, of course). This one was different in that IF you don't use it, you get ALL your money back at the end of the timeframe. Of course, I'm sure most folks use it for one thing or another during that time so I doubt they do that "pay back" thing very often but still, if you don't use it you get your money back!

We have had extended warrantees in the past and every time, we swear we won't get the "next one" as we don't get much use out of them. But, here we are again, wondering if we should do it. OK, on to the questions:

#1 Any thoughts on extended warranttes in general and,

#2 Any experience with this particular company: USA Travel Care. Wondering if they do as they promise!?

OK, thanks in advance for any/all input on this. We're torn.

JoAnne
Port Orchard, WA
JoAnneWA00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2008, 08:07 AM   #2

Hi Folks!

Well, we did it! Yesterday we went and put our $$$ down on a 2007 Newmar Bay Star Class A MH (32 ft.). We are so excited! Moving on up from two different fifth wheels to a Class A.

Needless to say, the finance guy offered us the extended warrantee when he had us there. $4117. for 7 years (the first years "overlapping" the manufacturer's warrantte, of course). This one was different in that IF you don't use it, you get ALL your money back at the end of the timeframe. Of course, I'm sure most folks use it for one thing or another during that time so I doubt they do that "pay back" thing very often but still, if you don't use it you get your money back!

We have had extended warrantees in the past and every time, we swear we won't get the "next one" as we don't get much use out of them. But, here we are again, wondering if we should do it. OK, on to the questions:

#1 Any thoughts on extended warranttes in general and,

#2 Any experience with this particular company: USA Travel Care. Wondering if they do as they promise!?

OK, thanks in advance for any/all input on this. We're torn.

JoAnne
Port Orchard, WA
JoAnneWA00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:53 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
JoAnne, take a look at the plan offered by Good Sam. Their price is much lower and they are seen by most as being much more reputable than most of the other companies. You should also look at the Coach Net plan offered through the manufacturer. I think these two companies are the best. We have the Good Sam policy and have been pleased with it so far. Congrats on your new rig. See ya down the road.
Craig Heyne & Co-Pilot/Navigator Sharon. 2007 Voyage 33V W20. Brazel's Ultra Power Permormance kit. CAI, Reprogramming, plug wires, Steer-Safe, Suzuki Grand Vitara toad, two spoiled cats and a GPS set to infinity.
Craig H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:18 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I believe they are also known as American Guardian Warranty / USA Travel Care. Do a little internet research on American Guardian Warranty before you decide. I've also been told you do not need to buy it immediately, but if you do get an extended warrant, it should be within the first year and before XXXXX number of miles.
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:22 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
You should also use the search feature here on iRV2. It is the FIND tab at the top of this window, next to Go, New. There is also a pretty good Advanced Search feature under the Find tab.

And congratulations on the new motorhome! We used to have a 5th wheel and love, love, love our Cayman!
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:30 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
You are 'wasting' $4117 IMHO.

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 06:56 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My dealer offered me a USA Travel Care extended warranty for $4400. I went to the internet and got the same exact warranty for around $1750 from RVProtection.net

Best money spent. I've already saved about $1K in repair costs, and my waranty still has another 66 months to go...

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:03 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig P.:
My dealer offered me a USA Travel Care extended warranty for $4400. I went to the internet and got the same exact warranty for around $1750 from RVProtection.net

Best money spent. I've already saved about $1K in repair costs, and my waranty still has another 66 months to go...

Craig </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmm, my 2005 Itasca has needed no repairs paid for out of my pocket. Thus, I'd be in the hole $1750 if I had a USA Travel Care extended warranty. Glad I passed on the extended warranty.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:27 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
Hmmmm, my 2005 Itasca has needed no repairs paid for out of my pocket. Thus, I'd be in the hole $1750 if I had a USA Travel Care extended warranty. Glad I passed on the extended warranty. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Boy, you must have THE perfect RV then, so save your money. I've yet to be that blessed. My last Winnie was anything but, and my warranty came in handy then as well.

Some people appreciate extended warranties, some hate them. They all have their reasons, and personal preferences, which is why there are so many forum threads about them.

Joanne, good luck with your decision whatever you decide.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote