Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2016, 10:06 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigginsjsr View Post
I have tried to move to USAA each year when my policies come up for renewal. While they are close on home, cars, and umbrella, Progressive's quote on the MH was nearly double my current rate.

I have had Hartford for a number of years with great service and rates. They have a coverage policy designed just for MHs. It includes roadside assistance. Rate is the best I have been able to find with any carrier thru their AARP program. You get many features due to the AARP program that are normally additional charges as part of the basic rate. Of course, prices probably vary by state and address, as well as, whether you have all your coverage with Hartford.
AARP and The Harford. You only have to be an AARP member when initially applying for The Hartford insurance. Been with The Hartford for 5 yrs and only AARP member for 1st yr. I agree they have some good policy riders, but AARP membership not require.

skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2016, 11:43 AM   #16

Subscribing...we have USAA for everything, and now Progressive for our motorhome (had USAA for our previous trailer).

Old 09-15-2016, 07:20 PM   #17

I've been with USAA for almost 30 years. They have insured our home, cars, and travel and tent trailers. They passed us on to Progressive for our Class A, 2 years ago. Haven't had any problems with them, yet.
However, just filed our first claim with them for a windstorm damaged awning. So far they have been very professional and helpful. We'll have to wait and see if our rates increase any next July with the policy renewal.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:38 PM   #18

You can buy a stand-alone Umbrella policy. It will probably be higher than USAA'S since they have all your business. But it would give you the ability to have your RV insured with a company of your choice. (Mod Edit)
Old 09-20-2016, 07:47 AM   #19

We were with USAA for 42 years until this past June. Still have home ins with them, but both of their affiliates having VERY high premiums for our RV, we switched over all autos and RV with GIECO...very very competitive and will also cover me full time RVing next year.
gostberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:33 AM   #20

We were with USAA for about 40+ years. When we bought our first Entegra in 2013 we used Progressive thru them. The second year I shopped their rate thru Good Sams and got a much better rate. We ended up with National General on the coach and two cars (now a 2016 Entegra Anthem 44B a 2013 Lincoln MKX and a 2015 Lincoln MKS) and saved about $2,000 per year. I also shopped thru Good Sams my homeowners and moved to American Strategic and saved a few hundred dollars a year with better coverage. I also bought a two million dollar umbrella for $300/year thru them. USAA is a great company but for us they were no longer competitive price wise. By the way when we are towing a car if we are involved in a claim there is only one deductible not two and we are only dealing with one insurance company which I believe is a advantage. We had hail damage to the coach and toad about two years ago in South Dakota and there was only one deductible at that time as they were attached. All companies are rated at A+. It all depends on your location, credit rating and driver history so there are a few variables involved. We have been quite happy with the change. Still us USAA for banking and credit cards.
waterboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:05 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you for all the responses! I went ahead and took out a policy with Progressive for the MH. This will give me some time to check out some alternative companies for my other autos currently insured with USAA.

(ModEdit)
Old 09-21-2016, 07:25 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I tried Hartford's automated system. It requires a new price of 350000 or less which eliminates my Signature.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:52 PM   #23

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ok - can someone help with coverage types? I am looking at an older rig 1999 DP. 60k price tag.

It will be financed to about 40-45k.

What kind of insurance do I need? It will probably be a full time rig unless plans change.

What is an umbrella policy used for?

Thanks
Jim
Old 09-29-2016, 07:01 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Writer View Post
Ok - can someone help with coverage types? I am looking at an older rig 1999 DP. 60k price tag.

It will be financed to about 40-45k.

What kind of insurance do I need? It will probably be a full time rig unless plans change.

What is an umbrella policy used for?

Thanks
Jim
Jim, you will be required to carry liability coverage by the state you register in. As you will have a lien on the title, the bank will require you to have physical damage coverage (comprehensive and collision) to protect their interests.

I would suggest that you get Roadside Assistance/Emergency Expense either through your insurance carrier or Good Sam, Coachnet, etc.

I would also recommend carrying UM Bodily Injury and UM Property Damage coverage as there are way too many uninsured or underinsured people on the road.

Umbrella Coverage is an excess liability coverage that would give added protection once the Auto Liability or General Liability coverage are exhausted.
SATXJeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:16 PM   #25

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATXJeep View Post
Jim, you will be required to carry liability coverage by the state you register in. As you will have a lien on the title, the bank will require you to have physical damage coverage (comprehensive and collision) to protect their interests.

I would suggest that you get Roadside Assistance/Emergency Expense either through your insurance carrier or Good Sam, Coachnet, etc.

I would also recommend carrying UM Bodily Injury and UM Property Damage coverage as there are way too many uninsured or underinsured people on the road.

Umbrella Coverage is an excess liability coverage that would give added protection once the Auto Liability or General Liability coverage are exhausted.
Thanks Patrick - that really helps. I help hearing about full timer insurance and actual cash value stuff. Couldn't figure it out

Tags
insurance