Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2016, 04:46 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
USAA affiliate insurance / umbrella

I've been with USAA for over 35 years and currently have 4 vehicles as well as my home with them. I am a very loyal customer based on how I have been treated on claims as well as rates.

We are in the process of purchasing a new DP and I'm in the process of getting quotes. It was explained to me by the USAA rep that I would need to purchase my RV coverage through their affiliates(Foremost or Progressive). I spoke with both, as well as National RV/GMAC. Progressive was in the ballpark but Foremost was about 30% higher.

Has anyone ever dealt with this in trying to keep thei umbrella with USAA?
Thanks
Patrick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2016, 05:37 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
With USAA 37 years - they don't insure MHs any longer - Progressive has worked well for us so far as full-timers...not necessarily the cheapest...

Old 09-13-2016, 07:39 PM   #3
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
I have progressive thru USAA. Their rates are competitive and I have not experienced the large rate increases year to year as others have reported with progressive.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:49 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Same experience as others. Rolling into our sixth year with Progressive via USAA. No claims to date so I can't speak of how Progressive is when it really counts.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:06 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
USAA insures only the lower cost RVs and boats.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:32 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We had the same issue with USAA and motorcycles.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:51 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
We were grandfather in with USAA (48 yrs) on our Class A motorhome coverage since 2001. When we sold it and purchased a new one last year, they won't cover it and told us to use Progressive. Got the quote from Progressive as a USAA member. Much higher then we had been paying USAA. Started calling other carriers for quotes. So to check the Progressive quote I called them again with exactly same info, except never mentioned that I was a USAA member with a home and two cars with them still. The quote I got was same as the previous one when it was known that I was a USAA member. When I pointed this out to the agent, he put me on hold. Came back and said that was correct as no discount for being with USAA. We still have the house and cars with USAA. But Class A and toad is with the The Hartford. Point being, shop it around cause Progressive is doing you no favors. To say you have Progressive thought USAA is a joke. Several have said, the only thing progressive about Progressive insurance is they're annual premiums.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:07 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have 4 cars and a motorcycle covered through USAA...

USAA connected us to a Progressive Rep for the RV upon purchase and we have had that since purchase.

That same month, I called the public access Progressive quote line, just to get a quote as a non-USAA member and found there was a 15% higher quote.

Last year there was a $60 premium increase, so I called for other quotes and could not measurably beat the USAA/Progressive enough to move companies. Measurably means beat the premium by more than $50 annually.

Every individual will have a different situation based on state, risk, and RV, so I always recommend shopping around. For us, USAA/Progressive works.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:58 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
USAA covered our TT. When we upgraded to the DP, they pointed us to Progressive. Rates were sky high so shopped around and got HARTFORD. However, when we moved from VA to FL, Hartford would only keep us if we moved the cars over to them. GS shopped us around so now we have Allied.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:05 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Smile

Thank you all for the responses. The big issue I'm having is that USAA requires using Progressive or Foremost if I want to keep my umbrella policy with them.

I really don't want to move all my other vehicles/home as I know I'm getting good rates.

Might just have to take another look at Hartfrord as I did retire their claim department a few years ago.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:00 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our USAA policy did not change to Progressive. The "affiliate" only covers the RV...Which is a linked, but separate policy to the USAA policy.

Did someone tell you that your cars/house had to move to the affiliate? I believe that is not correct.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:19 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATXJeep View Post
Thank you all for the responses. The big issue I'm having is that USAA requires using Progressive or Foremost if I want to keep my umbrella policy with them.

I really don't want to move all my other vehicles/home as I know I'm getting good rates.

Might just have to take another look at Hartfrord as I did retire their claim department a few years ago.
Sorry but can't follow that logic. If you moved all your insurance coverage to another company, how would you maintain USAA umbrella coverage ?
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:27 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Our USAA policy did not change to Progressive. The "affiliate" only covers the RV...Which is a linked, but separate policy to the USAA policy.

Did someone tell you that your cars/house had to move to the affiliate? I believe that is not correct.

Best luck
No they didn't tell me I had to use the affiliate for all vehicles. They told me if I wanted to retain the umbrella with usaa, I had to have the MH with the affiliate.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:35 AM   #14

I have tried to move to USAA each year when my policies come up for renewal. While they are close on home, cars, and umbrella, Progressive's quote on the MH was nearly double my current rate.

I have had Hartford for a number of years with great service and rates. They have a coverage policy designed just for MHs. It includes roadside assistance. Rate is the best I have been able to find with any carrier thru their AARP program. You get many features due to the AARP program that are normally additional charges as part of the basic rate. Of course, prices probably vary by state and address, as well as, whether you have all your coverage with Hartford.

wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance