Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-23-2016, 08:08 AM   #1
Used A vs C ?

Recently became interested in buying a motorhome for short vacations and out of town events. We have $20k to spend on purchase. Size wise we are looking for under 28' (2 adults).
During my online searches I'm seeing Class A motor homes of similar years and features and weights that are selling for less than Class C. That big ole picture window for a windshield is very enticing. Other than body panels that may no longer be available if I were to damage it, what I am missing in the comparison?

RickNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2016, 08:21 AM   #2
We started our RV life with a 26' Class A. After about a season and a half with that rig, and travelling with friends in their 32' Class A, we made the switch to one like theirs (ours was an '02 Georgetown, Ford V-10, 5 speed).

No comparison in the comfort, visibility and general quality of life. We gave up on the lifestyle after 4 years for a variety of reasons and are no longer RVers.

The Georgetown was a fairly comfortable rig. We bought it from the original owners who had done 12K miles in 8 years. We did 6K in the three active years. It got used as additional sleeping accommodation on our driveway a few times in the fourth year, but only went on the road to go dump the tanks.

Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:17 AM   #3
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think the "A" has more interior room than a same size "C". "A" is built on a larger chassis than a "C" so potentially greater towing capacity.

Our first MH was a 21 ft Toyota Dolphin, micro class C, small but perfect for our trip to Alaska. And it got 15 mpg. One thing I liked about it, I could park it just about anywhere that you could park a full size car. I can't do that with our Mirada.

Alaska | Alaska Trip Log

Our 30 ft Mirada is similar to the toyhouse in the basic layout, i.e. kitchen, bench seat with table, and jackknife sofa.

But the Mirada has a full sized bedroom, a generator, shower, bath, and we can tow a car. And it gets about 8 mpg.
2001 Coachmen Mirada (Ford F53 6.8L V10) - Toad 2003 Saturn Vue.
It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:17 PM   #4
You don't even have to drive one to see the difference. Just go to a dealer and sit in the driver's seat of an A and a C. I bet you'll go with the A.
Jeanie, Ed & Slade the GSD
Cape Cod, MA
2011 Jounrey 40L & Sierra Crew
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:02 PM   #5
Test drive both. The C will drive like a heavy loaded van.

The A will drive like an empty bread truck.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:49 PM   #6
One thing that i've noticed is that class Cs usually offer up more beds to sleep in. Also, since they are on van chassis's, repairs are often more straightforward because parts are usually easier to find.
03 Itasca Sunova, 8.1 Workhorse
Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:13 PM   #7
Thanks for the replies so far. I'm finding that a short class A such as the Winnebago Warrior (23 & 25) or the newer Brave 26 is what we are both liking at this point. At the same time though a similar size class C with the over-cab bunk offers more sleeping options ( as Mudfrog mentioned).

We are not in a hurry to buy so I have time to look around and do more research. We have traveled in a Class A before, It was a 1980-something Southwind that was pretty worn. We took it from NY to FL and back. I had the hood up in every state except for Delaware.

RickNC is offline   Reply With Quote