Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2018, 10:17 PM   #1

Used DP 2011 Berkshire 390qs

Hello! We started two years ago in the RV world with a cute little used Evergreen Element we stumbled upon. After a year upgraded to a Keystone Cougar 32FBS and another year later we are thinking about going "all in" on our first (new to us) class A DP. But I need as much input from my fellow RVers as possible.

First: the unit we found is a 2011 Forest River Berkshire 390QS with 6,000 miles. After about a week of haggling we have a deal at 110,000. Thoughts on price?

Next: I am fully aware that we are now getting into a whole new world when it comes to maintaenance and reliability, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous. Having a Cummins engine go and setting me back 30 grand will keep me up at night. So, realistically, and on average and from your own experience, how reliable are these things (DPs in general and the Berkshire we are looking at).

Third: extended warranties. Just for peace of mind I need something (I know, I've read the threads, many say put the money in the bank and self-insure). Dealer wants me to buy a four year "American Guardian" warranty for $6500. Based on what I have read here I am thinking about forgoing that company and going with Wholesale Warranties. Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Fourth: anything else in general I should consider or think about?

Fifth: thanks to this forum and all its great members. Just a couple of years ago I was on here anxious and excited about our first RV purchase... and two short years later I'm close to buying a DP. You only live once I guess
barrydt102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2018, 11:51 AM   #2

I'll just make a couple of quick comment for now. First, congratulations on your purchase! I won't comment on the price as it sounds as if you've already made the deal so it would be ineffectual for me or others, as far as that goes, to make a comment at this point. If the deal has NOT been finalized, let us know and I'll give you some of my thoughts.

I commend you for reading the threads about being self-insured pertaining to a service contract. It's a great debate on this along with other RV forums as to which is better to do. It sounds as if you've already discounted doing what the dealer is suggesting and that is smart no matter which way you decide to go ..."the dealer wants me to buy" is ALWAYS something you want to stay away from or at least examine very carefully before doing so.

I'm one for being self-insured. Our personal experience of owning several diesel pushers is that a $30,000 repair is highly unlikely. Heck, an overhaul of a Cummins can even be done for a bit less and those are sometimes done as the engine approaches a million miles or so. Can such a catastrophic mechanical issue happen? ...sure it can. The likelihood, however, is so rare that it's something I personally don't worry much about. If it does keep you up at night, maybe look for a high-deductible and low-premium policy that would help in such a case.

In our case, we haven't even come close to spending $6,500+ for chassis repairs in total through the all the years ownership that might be covered by a contract. You have a low-mileage and relatively new unit. Keeping on top of regular maintenance is a good argument for keeping repair costs low. And as you've already read in other threads, the companies offering these contracts are making money so it just makes sense that the vast majority of the their customers are paying more for the policies than what expenses they may being compensated for. Yet as you know, it's a gamble on the part of the consumer. Sure, it may pay off for you as it has for some. But in the vast majority of the cases, it will not. So you just may get $6,500 (or whatever the amount) or more worth of benefits but the chances are slim. If it makes you sleep better, however, then do your research carefully so you know exactly what they cover and what they don't and buy the one that offers the best value. Other members here can help you out on choosing one.

Keep us posted on your progress. You're right, I'm amazed at the knowledge that some members participating on this forum posses and I've learned a lot through the years. Safe travels!
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:39 AM   #3

Thanks so much for your feedback and great information. The more I read, the more I'm seriously considering selling 5,000 side of an interest-bearing account to self insure.

Regarding price, we have not yet finalized and we now have them down to 100k even. Would love to know your thoughts on this.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrydt102 View Post
Thanks so much for your feedback and great information. The more I read, the more I'm seriously considering selling 5,000 side of an interest-bearing account to self insure.

Regarding price, we have not yet finalized and we now have them down to 100k even. Would love to know your thoughts on this.
I think you may still be a bit high at $100k. I would look long and hard at RV Trader and the classified's here for comparative pricing. We had a 2011 Berkshire and it was a very good unit.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:12 AM   #5

Put $6,500 in savings.

You can choose your repair facility and have much more control over the repairs.

I say

Self insure.

In 50 years of trucking and RV ussage.

I have never purchased a
Extended warranty policy.

I may spend the premium on preventive maintenance.

Over time.

And

I have never been towed.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:25 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes, there are known problems with some Cummins engines, the ISL wrist pin and the ISX 650 breaking valves. But at least with the ISL Cummins covered it under warranty. All the rest seem to be pretty trouble free. Our previous ISC 350 was great even after I installed the Banks kit.
If you're worried about the cost of repairs then you probably should bur a service policy from Wholesale warranties.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:41 PM   #7

Taking advice from wnytaxman is wise. Not only did he have a very similar coach so should be a good resource but always gives such good advice on this forum. My initial gut feeling about the price also is that it should be below the $100k mark but we obviously can't see the condition of the coach. Having the low mileage it does, it may have been "gently used" so might be in very good condition. Therefore, how far below that $100k mark would be up to debate and difficult to say without examining the actual unit.

As I write this, I'm also looking at the brochure for the 2011 Berkshire and I see that it has an ISB. ISBs are generally very reliable. Yes, they've had some minor issues but just about any engine will have its proprietary "issues." I see no reason why you shouldn't have many years of reliable service if maintained properly.

Does that particular coach have the upgrade of the higher output ISB (800 ft. lbs. torque) and the 3500 Allison?
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:21 AM   #8

This one has the 340 Cummins and 2500 Allison
Old 06-27-2018, 07:42 AM   #9

Quote:
This one has the 340 Cummins and 2500 Allison

That was exactly what we had. It was a very reliable engine and transmission. We never had any issue with anything engine or transmission wise. Of course there is the usual "your experience may vary" potential, but we had good luck with ours. I should add that it was a bit under powered for our purposes. Mileage was good for that sized coach with a pretty consistent 9-10 miles per gallon.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:55 AM   #10

Thanks! Good to hear. We don't plan on doing any towing with ours with the easy availability of UBER and rental cars nowadays. So our main priority for the 340 ISB Cummins and 2500 Allison is overall reliability rather than power.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:14 AM   #11

Used DP 2011 Berkshire 390qs

That “Extended Warranty” is over priced and is not what you want anyway.

We have a Good Sam Extended SERVICE Plan, which is really what you want here, not an extended warranty. This costs us about $4,000 per year. We’ve had it for 3 years. Good Sam has paid out more in repairs than we have paid in Premiums.

I can use any shop I want. Some will handle all the Good Sam paperwork for me while with others I have to be the middle man and do the paperwork.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:21 AM   #12

Thanks A Traveler

Thanks for your input A Traveler! Can you tell me about some of the expenses that your service plan has covered? After a lot of research I think I am going to go with the Wholesale Warranties Viking plan. We are picking up the coach on Tuesday.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:25 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks! Good to hear. We don't plan on doing any towing with ours with the easy availability of UBER and rental cars nowadays. So our main priority for the 340 ISB Cummins and 2500 Allison is overall reliability rather than power.

You may then be disappointed in the future when you find a time consuming car rental process, if any, and absence of Uber in low population RV mecca's and a MH that does not tow well.

If you intend to stay near major cities and airports during your travels, no problem.

We have "motorhomed" for 16+ years and 80,000 miles. Only one time did we travel without a toad. A car was available for us at our kids' place.

YMMV
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote