Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2007, 06:40 AM   #1
gwj

In June I purchased a 2002 Fleetwood Expedition.The RV was bought at a dealership in northern California (De Martini).I just want to know, when you buy a used RV from a dealer are they required to change any fluids, filter, or do any maintenance before it is sold.The reason I ask, is because there are no maintenance records from the last owner.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2007, 06:40 AM   #2
gwj

In June I purchased a 2002 Fleetwood Expedition.The RV was bought at a dealership in northern California (De Martini).I just want to know, when you buy a used RV from a dealer are they required to change any fluids, filter, or do any maintenance before it is sold.The reason I ask, is because there are no maintenance records from the last owner.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:26 AM   #3

gwj-- Unfortunately this is something you probably should have negotiated with the selling dealer.

Your coach is now 5 years old, and it should go thru an M3(I'm assuming this is a Freightliner chassis) service, which includes all new fluids (oil, coolant, transmission service, rear end oil, etc.) and all the appropriate filters (oil, fuel filter, fuel/water separator, air dryer filters), chassis lube, etc.

It's due for these services. If you don't have proof it's been done, then I would have them done.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:55 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hello gwj,

My experience is no, unless they have a written policy to do so or unless it was a condition of sale. Some dealers will do an oil change (don't expect a filter change on a diesel). Unless the dealer will agree to put you in touch with the prior owner (some will), you need to figure that (based on milage) if any major maintenance was due -- it probably wasn't done. When I purchased my last two coaches (used), I took them to a nearby Cummins "Oasis" dealer and had them change everything. Don't overlook items like the Air Dryer cartridge (due every two years), radiator coolant and hydraulic filters and fluid. You don't indicate the milage on the unit. A good shop will advise you on what needs to be done and may even be able to access your engine and transmission history.

Green lights and soft breezes,
Old 11-21-2007, 08:12 AM   #5

MY theory:
If the previous owner was into regular upkeep/servicing of the rig, there will be records that the dealer will be happy to show you. It helps make the sale!
If there are no records, don't expect the regularly scheduled services to have been done. Although the services may have been done, I wouldn't bet on it!
Weather the services have been preformed by the dealer before the sale, I wouldn't bet on that either! Did they make a point to you that it had been done? If it had been done, I would bet they would have made the point! JMHO!
Old 11-21-2007, 08:13 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No written policy that I have seen. But when we have bought use, I had them include a list of maintenace items that they were to perform prior to delivery. On a motorhome, check brakes, change tranny fluid/filter, change engine oil/filter, service generator, new air filter, etc. On a trailer, check brakes and repack wheel bearings.

Ken
Old 11-21-2007, 08:19 AM   #7
gwj

Me being a newbee and not know all of the services required has caused this issue.The coach has 39,000 miles.Can someone tell where I can find a good service center in the Hollister,ca. area?
Old 11-21-2007, 10:29 AM   #8

Check these reviews out. It is a little far from you but it is fairly recent and sounds like a great possibility for quality service.

http://www.rvservicereviews.com/ReviewDetails.asp?Submi...&Search=&CategoryID=

...plus it gives you an "excuse" for a shakedown cruise.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #9

Now that I think of it, 50 miles...or so...is nothing around here.

I would give them a call and see what they are like. I can tell you that after reading the reviews, I am putting them on my list if I am in the area and need service.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:22 PM   #10
gwj

I will give them a call,Thanks.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:26 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
gwj,

Give Fleetwood customer relations a call, tell them you are the new owner and have the RV records updated. Helps in case of a recall. Fleetwood is very good about providing copies of owners manuals, wireing diagrams, plumbing schematics, etc.. Call the chassis manufacturer -- do the same. Cummins can supply an engine manual -- same for Allison transmission. These will have maintenance schedules in them. All these companies are interested in keeping you satisfied, so you will purchase their motorhome, chassis, engine, transmission next time around. Did your dealer provide you with any manuals for the RV?

Green lights and soft breezes,
Old 11-21-2007, 03:49 PM   #12

gwj Too bad you can't get old records!!!! If the dealer "HAD" done it he would of told you!!! as in higher price!!
So you need to get all fluids and filters changed!! So you can get a starting poitnt to monitor yourself.

At 39,000 mi the trans should be done also.
Cnange air filter too,

It should be on 2nd or 3rd oil change thats max So get 'er done and you will be fine!!!
Old 11-21-2007, 05:09 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Many manufactures will keep a record of any warranty work done by the VIN. The chassis manufacturer will have work recorded as well. I have had pretty good luck getting previous records for my coach.

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:48 PM   #14

gw When you get the oil changed Get an oil analysis, Well worth the cost!!

Rick