Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2009, 01:17 AM   #1

using a fuel stabilizer/additive

with gas engine, how many of you add a fuel stabilizer or additive to your fuel tank in your motorhome??? do you add it to each tank or just occasionally??? what additive do you use and what amount????thanks walter

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2009, 04:17 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Walter, if you are going to store the coach for the winter and not be driving it, I would recommend using a fuel stabilizer to preserve the gasoline from going bad in the tank. You should also run the engine after adding the fuel stabilizer so the fuel in the lines, carburetor or fuel injector system is not compromised. The amount will be on the bottle you buy. If the tank is full add stabilizer and drive it around a bit. If nearly empty, you can use less by not filling up if you wish and add proper amount you pump in.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:06 AM   #3
paz

The only additive I use in our gas is fuel stabilizer (Sta-bil) when we park for 3 months for the winter. The rest of the year, I use nothing.

In addition to running the engine as RV Wizard says to get the fuel into the fuel system and carburetor, also run the generator if you have one for the same reason.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:50 AM   #4
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
The only additive I use in our gas is fuel stabilizer (Sta-bil) when we park for 3 months for the winter. The rest of the year, I use nothing.

In addition to running the engine as RV Wizard says to get the fuel into the fuel system and carburetor, also run the generator if you have one for the same reason.
Yup, that's what I do. The Sam's club where I fill up is 12 miles away. Pour a jug of Sta-Bil in, fill the gas tank, start the generator with the back TV on and drive home. I figure by the time I drive home, the Sta-Bil'd gas has done its thing for the MH motor and generator. So far has worked great all these years.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:54 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I use seafoam rather than stabil, for storage only, not all the time.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:00 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT View Post
Yup, that's what I do. The Sam's club where I fill up is 12 miles away. Pour a jug of Sta-Bil in, fill the gas tank, start the generator with the back TV on and drive home. I figure by the time I drive home, the Sta-Bil'd gas has done its thing for the MH motor and generator. So far has worked great all these years.

OK I'll bite SRT, why do you turn on the back TV?

Dieselclacker
Old 11-29-2009, 08:09 AM   #7
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
OK I'll bite SRT, why do you turn on the back TV?

Dieselclacker
Well, they say you should have something electrical on so the generator has something to produce electricity for...
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:05 AM   #8

I use Sta-Bil when I am going to let the coach set for over 60 days. A TV probably is not going to load your generator enough. Try an electric heater, the Micro-wave, a hair dryer is good. If you use the Micro-wave be sure you put a glass of water in it.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:23 PM   #9

Just put the Sta-bil in two weeks ago, filled tank, drove MH with genny running under load. Its now parked for the long MN winter next to garage with four inch wood under tires. I do take it out and drive it as often as I am able before we get too much snow and salt on the roads. Then the jack stands go under taking 90% of the weight off tires and just run genny monthly refilling gas tank as needed. A few more years until retirement and then we can scratch this process.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:02 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
with gas engine, how many of you add a fuel stabilizer or additive to your fuel tank in your motorhome??? do you add it to each tank or just occasionally??? what additive do you use and what amount????thanks walter
I use SEAFOAM for storage and otherwise add a can occasionally. for storage, i use 3 cans for 75 gallons of gas, then drive it a bit with the genny running.

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote