Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can't speak for Woodie, but when I am at the PROPANE pump.. I kill the 12 volt side of life completly.. That turns off the fridge, water heater, and most everything else in the house.

Alas, one time when I went to re-connect... NOTHING, no lights, no camera, no ACTION!.. Not even a CLUNK from the solenoid.. Turns out it was a dirty switch, chost me $0.00 to fix it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2011, 06:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I can't speak for Woodie, but when I am at the PROPANE pump.. I kill the 12 volt side of life completly.. That turns off the fridge, water heater, and most everything else in the house.

Alas, one time when I went to re-connect... NOTHING, no lights, no camera, no ACTION!.. Not even a CLUNK from the solenoid.. Turns out it was a dirty switch, chost me $0.00 to fix it.

I wasn't talking about propane fill up. I never turn off 12 volts even with propane fill up.

In open air with gasoline it's next to impossible to create an explosive mixture. Your refrigerator is not an open flame in the vicinity of the gasoline or any explosive vapors. If all these explosive vapors are just hanging around how do you dare start your vehicle? What about passengers smoking inside the vehicles? What about the catalytic devices under the vehicles? What if the spill took place just before you came into the station and you dragged your feet on the carpet in the MH? Maybe the static discharge would set off an explosion as your foot hits the ground. What about all these generators which start all by themselves for convenience?

I will continue to live "dangerously".
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:16 AM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Thirty four years of running propane refers in my RV's and I have yet to turn off my refer during filling. I would challenge the readers to find an RV fire caused by the refer during fueling of the vehicle.

As a fire investigator, I investigated about 2 dozen RV fires over a 15 year span. I found one refer fire on one of the Toyota truck based mini "C" motor homes. It was caused by a poor installation of an old refer into the motor home. Didn't connect propane line correctly.

As "WOODYDELL" stated, it's next to impossible to create an explosive mixture in a gas station environment. The movies make it seem like it happens all the time.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:31 AM   #18

Don, as to your second statement, the number one insurance claim on RV's is refrigerator fires.
One of the Motorhome leading magazines had a complete breakdown to what the most RV insurance claims were. This link tells the same thing
Top Five RV Insurance Claims & How to Avoid Them - RV UNIVERSITY

This is an interesting post
http://cjbfire.com/RVRef-Fires.pdf

This one has some pictures
Fire Investigations Gallery
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:53 AM   #19

[QUOTE=WOODYDEL;822342]I have never turned off my refrigerator because I was fueling my motorhome. It's not necessary. I can't even remember the last time I pumped gasoline without the station sucking off the gasoline vapors with the nozzle.

O me O my
I hope I'm never at a gas station when your gassing up.
It's like holding a gun at your head with one bullet and pulling the trigger.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:16 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding what happens if there is a Fuel Spill

Diesel, no danger

Gasoline, The vapors are heavier than air, The flames on the fridge or water heater or furnace are a good 5 feet up on my rig, and without walls to contain them the gasoline vapors will never make it more than the height of the fuel filler (a good foot lower) and if it is a ground spill not even that high.

Propane, however, is ejected from the spitter valve under pressure, also if there should be a line break it's under pressure, even though I'm told it's also heavier than air it may well be "Jetted" several YARDS up, high enough that you coudl have a serious "Next county" problem (That's where you land in the next county as your rig blows up) so with Propane PLAY SAFE, Accidents tend to be serious.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
There are not many states that actually have nozzles that suck off fumes. I know that California does. I do not know of any other state but I am sure there are some. I know the gas stations in the Southeast don't vacuum off the fumes. So what would happen if your nozzle or the guy filling next to you did not shut off when full or fell on the ground and kept going. I have had one fall out of my car and keep pumping at gas and I have had them not shut off when full. Depending on the air temp and wind that would be scary knowing somebody had a open flame.
I would not be as concerned pumping diesel but wow with gasoline.

What do you do when you fill with propane and the tank is venting? Is your fridge flame still going?.
Collection of vapors is a FEDERAL LAW. Nozzles don't even look like they're collecting anything. Used to be a boot to block the fumes. Even dealers who sell gasoline to boaters have the same rules to follow. There is a minimum gallons per month limit.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #22

The OP was talking about gasoline fill ups. He was never in any danger. Hope the idea about seeing the flame helped your knees.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #23

When I was going to school, I worked in a gas station.
A gas water heater ignighted and the station went KABOOM every window in the place blue out, lucky me all I got was minor burns,

A gas station in St Petersburgh burned when a trailer hot water heater in a camper lit.

Maybe those that leave there refrigators and hot water heaters on should post a large sign on their campers that says I DON'T TURN MY REFRIGATOR AND HOT WATER HEATER OFF WHEN I GAS UP.
At least I'll know to stay clear.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:00 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYDEL View Post
Collection of vapors is a FEDERAL LAW..

No open flames during refueling is also a FEDERAL LAW. People like you are dangerous, and I could care less how you spin it. You're a menace and I hope to he** you never gas up around me.
Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
Back a few years ago All the (MOST) of the frigs; Were 3 way Gas;;.12 Volt DC;; ,and 120 Volt AC ;; There was a heating strip you could clamp on the Frig; And you were good to go;; The 12 DC drew about 10 amps. And was only for running down the road.. What was happening was the IDIOTS that did not change it back off dc When parked. ran there battery down to 00== Dead; Then they blamed the fridge; for the problem. So the manufactures quit making them. You can still get a strip and clamp it on the 110 volt Tube and you'll be good to go;; Just Don't forget to shut it off when you get to the campground;;
Hey I'd love to know more about this, this seems like the best option if the strip is easy to get and relatively easy to install. Those old 12 v ones sort of liked you to have the fridge cold before using dc, but what a great way to go down the road. Especially for us, since we have solar panels now, we seem to have an abundance of battery available to us.
MartinStates is offline   Reply With Quote