Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-05-2015, 07:01 AM   #1
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Using jacks to change tires

I talked to a local truck tire center about changing my tires and during the conversation he stated that he would be using the hydraulic jacks on the RV. To lift the tires off the ground in order to change them. Is it ok to use hydraulic jacks to change tires or will it hurt the RV. I have a 40 ft 06 Holiday Rambler

Mike 06 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
buckeyemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2015, 07:51 AM   #2
Find a different tire shop, fast!!!!! No way should the chassis jack system be used to lift the MH to change tires. Any time that I had tires work done, the shop always used their jacks to lift the MH.
Others may disagree but.......

2009 38' Diplomat
CSM- retired, wife as co-pilot
Reka & Ali providing security (our 2 labs)
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:02 AM   #3
Along the side of the highway in the rain maybe...only if manufacturer has indicated okay.

Had our front wheel well off the ground once and nothing grunted a bit...

But a tire shop should have proper jacks and ALWAYS lift by supporting the axle to avoid stressing suspension parts.

Them hinting at that indicates either stupid or lazy or both and more.

Place that did ours did not have a protection ring to protect the rims from scratches...we did not know of such a thing but owner came out and was very sorry about that and for delays as they had to go buy one to do the job.

Bottom line is they should know correct process and you should insist on proper and safe...locate another vendor
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:18 AM   #4
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No way would I let them ever do that, what if they damage your leveling system? If they don't have the right tools I can wait.
2008 National SurfSide 34E (Bunk Model) Ford V10
Sold- 1990 Hawkins Chevy P30 454
DDDonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:18 PM   #5
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Nope! Everything I've ever read, whether it's the jack manual or manufactures manual, say not to use the jacks to lift the coach off the ground. And if you do, to put jack stands under it.
Tricia & Dennis Lockhart
2010 Ventana 4333
Spartan MM w/Cummins 360 ISC
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 02:58 PM   #6
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My manual says not to do it.
The tire shop that replaced my tires used their own floor jacks. They did have an issue getting the jack under the front and asked if I could lift the front frame enough - maybe six inches - for their jack to fit under the frame. That wasn't anymore than what my jacks do all the time so I accommodated them.
Clay WA5NMR - Ex Snowbird - 1 year, Ex Full timer for 11 years - 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Honda Accord toad.
Clay L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:18 PM   #7
I have had some serious arguments with shops about using MY equipment when I am paying them to use THEIR equipment. I ended up just telling them they don't work, don't use them, and pulled the fuse. HWH jacks (at least my last 2 rvs) are actually mounted in swivels and the RV will shift if something is wrong.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:58 PM   #8
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I didn't like the idea either I think the shop is just trying to get the job done as quick as they could but the weird thing is it is a semi truck shop so really its just laziness
Mike 06 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
buckeyemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:23 AM   #9
Man I wouldn't do it. I can't imagine the twisting stress on the coach if they lifted just one corner off the ground at a time.
2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:09 PM   #10
I have used my jacks like this many times. It's not a big deal.

That's better than having a tire shop put their jack on the lower control arm (Freightliner Independent Front Suspension chassis) and jack on that. The control arm bent and I had to have it replaced. I didn't notice it until months later, so I could not prove they did it. But it HAD to be the tire shop. I had to bear the $1,700+ cost to replace it and re-align the front end. If I had simply lifted the front end with my own jacks, I would not have had this problem. Live and learn...

If you set up in an RV park on a site that's not level, you may end up with the front wheels off the ground when you level up. There is no difference between doing that and just lifting the wheels off the ground on level ground to change a tire.

I recently had to have some work done on my exhaust system. I lifted the right side of the coach to give the exhaust tech plenty of room to work at the right rear. The right rear tire was about an inch off the ground. The right front was still touching the ground, but had very little weight on it. Worked perfectly.

You cannot lift just one corner, which would indeed cause all kinds of damage due to the twisting forces on the chassis. The jacking systems are designed to run two jacks at a time to lift the front, back or a side of the coach evenly.

2006 Mandalay 40E
Cummins ISL 400 HP
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:02 PM   #11
When you run the jacks to the end they are not very stable as too much piston rod is out and has too much leverage, the thing to do is put about 6-8 inches of blocking under the jack to keep the ram from fully extending and you then gain jack stability, lift only until the tire is just clear. I have done this with no problem.
'98 Southwind 34L, too many cameras, old hat, young heart.
May the light be with you.
Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:52 PM   #12
Commercial Member
Having worked for many years as a Heavy Duty Wrecker operator and with many tire shops, if they handle Semi Trucks and Commercial vehicles, they understand and know more about your Motorhome suspension and the right and wrong way to use jacks then you as the owner do.

On the other hand, if the tire shop is an Auto type business, then yes I would be concerned about how they plan to,lift the vehicle.

While Semi Tractor/Trailer and Commercial Trucks usually don't have leveling jacks, their suspension is just as if not more complicated. To the point that lifting the frame may lift the vehicle off the spring brackets without chaining then in place.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC

shiggs68 is offline   Reply With Quote

jacks, tires