Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2012, 08:27 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Using RainX on MH

The park in which I stay uses pond water to irrigate the grass. This leaves dirty spots on the lower part of my MH. What is the effect of using RainX on the sides (gelcoat) to get the water to simply run off rather than stick? Would RainX have any negative effect on the decals or paint? The MH had a good waxing just after I arrived but the wax doesn't repel anything. The place is watered three times a week so this gets to be a problem pretty quickly.

golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't know what the effects of RainX on a body surface might be, but there's a park we stay at every year that runs the sprinklers every day. I purchased a few of these that keeps the spray off of the coach:
Amazon.com: Orbit Sprinkler System Impact Splash Guard with Pegs 53161: Patio, Lawn & Garden

BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
You must have used the wrong wax. Try Rain x Wax
Rain-X Fast Wax Liquid Formula - Rain-X
Old 07-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I would not put Rain X on gelcoat. I believe it is only for glass. Use some Aerospace 303 or a product from Mary Moppins which should repel and/or make clean-up easier.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I don't know what the effects of RainX on a body surface might be, but there's a park we stay at every year that runs the sprinklers every day. I purchased a few of these that keeps the spray off of the coach:
Amazon.com: Orbit Sprinkler System Impact Splash Guard with Pegs 53161: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Neat idean but unfortunately much of the splatter is from sprinkler heads that are located away from the MH and spray too far. Management has tried to adjust them, but the input from the source has not been steady.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
You might want to give it a quick spray with fresh water too. That will at least wash the dirt from pond water off. If they have washing vehicle restrictions I would nicely ask what they suggest to keep your rig clean.

I think a good coat of wax will help but we do use RainX on our satellite "dome". It is a low profile meaning not really dome shaped but flat. Works fine except if you are parked long enough stuff from rain and dew builds up and it starts losing channels. The RainX gives me a little longer between trips up on the roof to clean it off.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #7

Rejex aviation wax/polymer is what I use on my entire coach, paint and glass both. It does the same thing as rainx on the glass but last much longer. It's the greatest thing I have found for keeping the AC water stains off the side of the coach, bugs don't stick to the front cap as bad, they generally just rinse off with a water hose.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G
Rejex aviation wax/polymer is what I use on my entire coach, paint and glass both. It does the same thing as rainx on the glass but last much longer. It's the greatest thing I have found for keeping the AC water stains off the side of the coach, bugs don't stick to the front cap as bad, they generally just rinse off with a water hose.
Same here.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:03 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
I agree, Rejex is great. I use it on the MH and toad. It's really slick :-)

Try AquaPel. Much better than RainX for the windows.
Steve Kieffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #10

I've used Protectant 303 for years with very good results. Also its good for everything, rubber roof, all plastics and rubber, painted metal, Gel Coat fiberglas, glass. Its very easy to apply and remove, lasts thoughout the season. It might seem expensive @ $53 a gallon from Camping World but it takes only a 1/2 gal to protect my MH. But even protected with the very best wax repeated spray in the sun with dirty water is going to leave water spots eventually.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #11

Is 303 safe for the decals also? My manual says to use no wax on them.
Thanks,
J
Old 07-22-2012, 10:27 AM   #12

Jake, I've used Protectant 303 on mine for years and they are in excellent condidtion. Thats what I like about it is you can use/spray it on everything and its very easy to put on and remove. I must say if you are tying to salvage a surface or decals that have already been damaged by the sun its going to be tough with anything you use. Its my pet peeve to care for my coach the best I can because they cost so dang much and I like a nice looking coach rambling down the road !
Old 07-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #13

We bought our American Eagle about two months ago and I have been getting her in as good of shape as I can. That includes all the systems and the exterior as well. She looks pretty good already, but bringing the sparkle out is something that I like to do. So, you think that in addition to the decals, that 303 is safe for the paint as well? I have a hard time knowing what is paint and what is a decal.

Jake
Old 07-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #14

Jake, like I've said I've used it on everything with great results since 2001. My coach is a Bounder with Fiberglas sides, but I've used it on other painted surfaces. My coach was is good shape when I bought it so it wasn't dull and I've kept it protected with 303 since. Water beads up on the surface and thats how I tell when its time to protect in again. Buy a small bottle and give it a try and see for yourself, its does a great job with easy on/off and you can use it for the whole coach no matter what its made of. I haven't come across anything I wish I didn't put it on.