Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2013, 02:56 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Dan Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Wong
Using RV in Winter month

I am new to RV, This probably a dumb question;

I plan to use my RV during the winter months. Do I just add some anti-freeze to the grey tank and the black tank? So it won't freeze?

How about if I wrap some heating wire around the tanks. Something similar to this; http://www.chromalox.com/catalog/res...-PJ323-CWM.pdf

I can hook it up with a thermostat activate the heater when temperature is below 32F.

I need some advice / suggestion from you veteran RVer.
Dan Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2013, 03:29 AM   #2

That may work, however in most motorhomes your propane heater should heat your wet bays/tank area. In real cold conditions I put a 60W light bulb in in both of the wet bays. The real problem is your fresh water system that will freeze, you can simply keep your gray and black tanks emptied.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:40 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeane View Post
....... The real problem is your fresh water system that will freeze, you can simply keep your gray and black tanks emptied.
Thanks for the quick reply.

I can keep several fresh water in five gallon jug inside RV. It would be very difficult to keep grey and black tank empty when I am camping out. Hehe ...gotta use de toilet.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:55 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I go out camping every month during the winter. Since I mostly do campgrounds I drain my tanks and winterize in October. Then, when I go camping, I carry a cooler full of water to drink and use the campground bathrooms (and a Gatorade bottle for number one's). In April, I un-winterize and refill the fresh water tank. By then I can use my fresh water tank or city water.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:16 AM   #5

When we camp at the snow ski areas, we had electrical hookups but that was it. So we filled the water tank, and like bbeane said placed a couple of 60 watt lights in the areas where freezing temperatures could be a problem. Also as bbeane mentioned on my coach when I ran the propane furnace it sent heat down into the tank areas, so we used the furnaces. I also installed a wireless indoor and outdoor thermometer with remote sensor so I could monitor the temperatures.When it got down to -5 one night the only problem we had was condensation freezing on the inside of the windows!

The campground had a dump station that was open, and we were able to refill the water tank by using a restroom indoor water spigot that the park mentioned we could use.

BTW, I just couldn't even fathom the idea of demanding my DW use a "Gatorade bottle for number one's" although it wouldn't be a problem for me!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #6

I think a few posters missed a key detail in Dan's case, both his avatar and his profile shows he has a 26' Fleetwood Tioga class C.

There is NO wet bay to heat and the black and grey tanks are hanging from the underside of the vehicle exposed to the elements on all but the top side.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
I think a few posters missed a key detail in Dan's case, both his avatar and his profile shows he has a 26' Fleetwood Tioga class C.

There is NO wet bay to heat and the black and grey tanks are hanging from the underside of the vehicle exposed to the elements on all but the top side.
You are exactly right. "tank just hang there exposed on three side". How do you 'class c' veteran do it in the old daz?

---------------------------------------------------
To mikebreeze

Yes, sir, I 've been using the Large mouth gatorate bottle for years. When I get this inkling to go; I got 30 second(maybe a minute give or take; seen like it anyway) to make it; If I don't, it's coming out- ready or not. Now for the big one; I got one to five minute- ready or not- its coming out. Doctor says he can give me some pill; however, I am already taking so much painkiller I am afraid to take more. ( I am disabled with lower-back pain; I am also limping on a two-wheel stroller). At night, using the campground bathroom is out of the question; I cannot be limp that far in less than five minutes.

For whatever this is worth; 'Don't get old' hehe
Old 12-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I almost forget; Happy Holliday !!!!
Old 12-25-2013, 06:42 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post

Murf2u, thanks for bringing this back to the actual situation. I have the same situation with my C. I am considering hanging a tarp behind the rear axle then toward the rear as far back as the drain line and down each side. I am hoping a trouble light hung inside this will provide enough heat.
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #10

If your rig is going to be stationary I have seen insulating sheets from Home Depot cut exactly the right size and angles to skirt the whole perimeter of the rig. The seems were duct taped. This winter person had two extension cords with light bulb running underneath.

Also the water line was wrapped with electrical heating tape.

I would keep the gray tank open but the black tank closed until time to dump. The insulated skirting and lightbulbs should keep things ok unless it gets real cold.

Good luck.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
When we camp at the snow ski areas, we had electrical hookups but that was it. So we filled the water tank, and like bbeane said placed a couple of 60 watt lights in the areas where freezing temperatures could be a problem. Also as bbeane mentioned on my coach when I ran the propane furnace it sent heat down into the tank areas, so we used the furnaces. I also installed a wireless indoor and outdoor thermometer with remote sensor so I could monitor the temperatures.When it got down to -5 one night the only problem we had was condensation freezing on the inside of the windows!

The campground had a dump station that was open, and we were able to refill the water tank by using a restroom indoor water spigot that the park mentioned we could use.

BTW, I just couldn't even fathom the idea of demanding my DW use a "Gatorade bottle for number one's" although it wouldn't be a problem for me!
BigD -
You forgot to mention how a motorhome can slide on slick roads when you are parked on the campground drive and out of it. Good thing for snow banks! Sorry, couldn't resist!
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
We will be visiting granddaughter (oh, and the children, lol) for a few days. Will have shore power and FW tank 3/4 full. Might be to cold for city hookup and it is a 75' run. Also, generally no need as we will be at their house. We can dump at home as not expecting to be gone long.
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #13

When I had my class C, I just keft it winterized in the winter. Took water in a 5 gallon container. Poured water in toilet bowl to flush, didn't shower (only a sink bath), and put antifreeze in gray and black tanks. No difficulties
taigarazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigarazz View Post
When I had my class C, I just keft it winterized in the winter. Took water in a 5 gallon container. Poured water in toilet bowl to flush, didn't shower (only a sink bath), and put antifreeze in gray and black tanks. No difficulties
That was what I was thinking. I was hoping to learn from other veterans how they do it.
I am thinking; 'there got to be a better way'. What do you think if I wrap heating wires around the tanks and the water pipes? You think that might do the trick? Something like ;
PTFE (Teflon) Insulated Heating Cables Manufacturer, High Temperature Wires/Cables Manufacturer

Tags
winter