Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-30-2015, 05:28 PM   #43
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I have seen a GM alternator break 16 volts.
In any modern vehicle if you see 16+ volts on the electrical system then something is broken.

smiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2015, 06:38 AM   #44
I am sorry so many people have missed your Subject Topic.
Can I use the 12 Vdc items while I equalize my batteries. I already assume you meant your Coach (House) batteries. You are disconnecting your Chassis (Engine) batteries.
You correctly stated that manufactures recommend equalizing.

Most 12 Vdc item have a rating limit. Meaning that the equipment can handle a higher voltage then 12.6. It is a fact a Charger/Inverter will go as high as 14.8 voltage when in the charging mode.

Now on to your question how high is too high, in my radio repair days we would typically run the equipment over a range of 10 to 16 volts with no harm.
Reading my Atwood water heater, it says under troubleshooting - Check for excessive high voltage and states 14 Vdc. This is contradicting what a 3 stage charger puts out.
My electric awning reads 12.6 Min. Does not state a Max. An DC electric motor can run with 18 Vdc with no issue.

With most electronics it will either work or not except for the select few that have intermittent issue. A old and weak light bulb may burn our. Use your best judgement. My Magnum runs for 3 hours - equalizing. For those 3 hours I can limit the use of certain items.

Dale&Susan, 08 Alfa Gold, DaGirlsRv,
08 Jeep Liberty_Solar_940W Solar_660 AmpHr
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:21 PM   #45
This is an excerpt from the Xantrex inverter/charger manual:

"CAUTION: Risk of damage
to DC load equipment
Equalization voltage may be as high as 15
.8 volts DC. Disconnect sensitive loads
from the battery before equalizing

2–16 975-0125-01-01
Operating in Equalization Mode
Follow the battery manufacturer’s re
commendations for equalizing your
batteries. As a guide, a heavily used flooded battery may need to be
equalized once a month, and a battery in light service may only need to be
equalized every two to four months.
Measure the specific gravity (S.G.)
of each cell using a hydrometer. For
fully charged lead-acid batteries, th
e reading should be approximately
1.265. Low specific gravity after char
ging or a 0.25 difference from cell
to cell indicates the need for equalization"

This is a excerpt from green-charger.com:

What Is the Maximum Safe Voltage for a 12V Battery?

Charging at too low a voltage generally yields poor results, but it's usually safe to charge a 12V battery at a voltage somewhat higher than it delivers. However, excessively high voltages may yield harmful consequences.

Lead-Acid Batteries
According to Operating Technical Electronics, it's ordinarily safe to charge a 12-volt (12V) lead-acid battery at a maximum of 13.8V. It's also permissible to charge it at up to 14.4V for no more than eight hours."

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote