Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #15
Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
You might want to watch CAT Scale's short video on how to weigh using one. It shows you the whole procedure on how to weigh yourself using a CAT Scale. Here's the link:

How To Weigh | CAT Scale

2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Standard Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2011, 09:03 PM   #16
Winnebago Owners Club
I had trouble finding a scale in my area that could weigh each wheel. I first went to a cat scale and got the front combined weight and then the rear combined weight but when I contacted michelin for the proper pressure they were reluctant to give exact tire pressures. Finally I found a large moving company that had a scale flat level with the ground they weighed each wheel seperately like michelin suggested and I got the answers from michelin

07 Itasca Ellipse 40fd, 2014 Honda CRV, greyhound lab mix, pit pointer mix(RIP bessie) , shar pei mix, stupid cat, wife
GG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #17
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The reason for measuring side to side weights is to make sure the load is balanced. A couple of hundred lbs side to side is fine, but any more and you need to move some stuff around.

Otherwise all tires on an axle should have the same inflation pressure as dictated by the total weight on the axle.

Anecdote: Have a friend with a trailer that cannot level his trailer load side to side without carrying 50 gallons of water (400lbs). The slide out is on one side the water tank is on the other.
2002 35R Southwind, W22 8.1L Vortec UltraPower, 19.5' wheels
Toad: Wrangler, lifted and on 35" tires
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:26 PM   #18
Tiffin Owners Club
I know, at least a few years ago California scale that was "on" after hours. Its on 101 outside of Whilits. The HiWay is one lane NB and one SB at that point. You can drive into the scale area only from the SB direction. In the building the have the readout for the scale turned around so you can see it. I weighed my rig there several years ago. It's probably still in use and I plan to stop there if it is on my next trip that way later in the year.
Jack & Kay
2015 Allegro 32CA Ford Chassis
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:47 PM   #19
Newmar Owners Club
Here in Washington, I pulled into one of the State Patrol run truck scales (parked to the side first) and asked if they would weigh me. They said no problem, but could not give me an official weight, but would write the weights down for me... which they did. This type of scale weighs front axle and back individually.

However, that was just an initial weight until I attended a rally and had each wheel weighed individually, for tire inflation purposes.
Ron... WB7DJV
2000 38' Dutch Star | 2006 Grand Cherokee | SilverLeaf VmsPc Engine Monitor | TST TPMS
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #20
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by Romeo View Post
Here in Washington, I pulled into one of the State Patrol run truck scales (parked to the side first) and asked if they would weigh me. They said no problem, but could not give me an official weight, but would write the weights down for me... which they did. This type of scale weighs front axle and back individually.

And had you been overweight they would of most certainly wrote you a ticket.
2003 Fleetwood Revolution 40'
Ranger429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #21
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cliff841 View Post
Does anyone know if California scales work the same?
All the CA scales I've seen are behind closed doors. Don't think they are turned on when closed. The other scales I've seen are called portable or Jump scales, and the CHP take them with them when they close up.
We have a private Truck Terminal a couple of miles from my house that has a scale, plus a Grain Elevator next to it. Both have scales. Talked to the operator the other day and She told me they do RV's all the time. Each axle plus toad or Trailer and one side of each axle. $8.00 total.

Piledrive is offline   Reply With Quote