Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Using the truck scales

I need to have my new class A motorhome weighed. The last time I used a truck scale was years ago with my 5th wheel and that was at a very quiet truck stop without much business.

The truck stops near me now are very busy. I am wondering if anyone knows the procedure so I don't upset the truck drivers who are waiting.

Do you usually just drive on the scale and then pay the attendant afterwards or do you speak to the attendant first?

I know I need the front and rear axles weighed. If it matters the truck stop website says they have Cat scales.

Any advice would be appreciated.
cliff841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I usually fuel up first, since I want the weight with a load of fuel, and when I'm paying I tell the clerk that I would like to weigh my RV. They will usually tell you that there is a speaker at the scale and to just push the button when you drive up. They answer and will tell you what to do. Easy as pie.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:34 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Excellent. I am planning on fueling first. I will have to estimate the additional weight of clothing, food, DW and children but that shouldn't be too hard. I just need to make sure I have a target tire inflation pressure for my maiden voyage with this rig. I think before my longer summer trip I will weigh again on the way out of town to account for all of the stuff we will have along.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:11 PM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Please don't ask DW to get on the scale at home. That just spells disaster.

Instead, weigh each of the kids before embarking. Get on the scales at home with arm loads of food and clothing. Write all these numbers down and add them up to include your previous weight of the MH. You will only be missing DW's weight - no big thing!

On the way out of town stop at the Cat scale again and get another weight. Use some deduction and you will find out how much DW weighs. Be wary wary qwiet 'bout dis weight. Or else!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Take a trip to Oregon,you can use there hi way scales when they are closed.
We do it all the time,some have enough room that you can turn around and weigh both sides.Or each corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff841 View Post
I need to have my new class A motorhome weighed. The last time I used a truck scale was years ago with my 5th wheel and that was at a very quiet truck stop without much business.

The truck stops near me now are very busy. I am wondering if anyone knows the procedure so I don't upset the truck drivers who are waiting.

Do you usually just drive on the scale and then pay the attendant afterwards or do you speak to the attendant first?

I know I need the front and rear axles weighed. If it matters the truck stop website says they have Cat scales.

Any advice would be appreciated.
rvtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:47 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Please don't ask DW to get on the scale at home. That just spells disaster.

Instead, weigh each of the kids before embarking. Get on the scales at home with arm loads of food and clothing. Write all these numbers down and add them up to include your previous weight of the MH. You will only be missing DW's weight - no big thing!

On the way out of town stop at the Cat scale again and get another weight. Use some deduction and you will find out how much DW weighs. Be wary wary qwiet 'bout dis weight. Or else!
Wayne that is the funniest thing I have read on iRV2. Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:48 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtips View Post
Take a trip to Oregon,you can use there hi way scales when they are closed.
We do it all the time,some have enough room that you can turn around and weigh both sides.Or each corner.
Does anyone know if California scales work the same?
Old 05-05-2011, 08:49 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One problem with CAT scales at most truck stops.. They are "Bridge" scales.

What does that mean? It means they are on a "Bridge" above ground, Now they are Segmented, so you can get axle weights.. BUT NOT WHEEL WEIGHTS

You need both.. Else you don't know how well off (or rather far off) you are side to side.. You don't know what pressure to put in the tires, side to side, Since that can vary too (I will not tolerate "All the wheels need to be the same pressure on an axle" idiots,, they need to be the same SIZE and that means properly inflated for the load they carry, may be diffrerent pressures)

To do that you only have two choices.. Aweight-we-go or their equal (More on that in a second) or a "Flat" scale. this is a scale level with the ground so you can drive on with just one side

First drive on and get axle weights

Then circle around and drive half on half off (So say just the driver's side, (or the other side) is on the scale) and get those weights. Simple substraction gives you the other side weights.

Awaigh-We-Go http://www.rvsafety.com uses portable scales.. The same kind of scales the diesel smokies have in the trunk of their car.. So if you can make friends with one of them.. Free weight service.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff841 View Post
Does anyone know if California scales work the same?
The scales rvtips mentioned are what we call agricultural scales, they are located on state highways (not freeways) and are only manned weekdays. The nice thing about them is that they are left powered after hours. I have seen similar scales in Washington.

Note, these scales are only located in area with lots of farming.

I presume that California has similar scales for the agricultural community, but I do not know where they are located or if they are powered after hours.

Fortunately I have one of the free agricultural scales located 13 miles away.

A good site for Oregon is: Weigh Station Scales Oregon OR Locations It shows both agricultural and freeway scales. You have to figure it out yourself.

They have maps for other states as well.
Weigh Station Scales Washington WA Locations
Weigh Station Scales California CA Locations

There are three types of scales (in my opinion):
A. Agricultural scales (free, for farm communities, usually financed by Counties).
B. Trucking scales, located on major freeways, often congested, not clear they are friendly to RV'ers
C. Pay scales, private business, will weigh anything for a price.

Looking at the California maps it is not clear that it shows any agricultural scales, there should be some scales around Stockton.

I only know of three ways to find the free scales.
1. Keep your eyes open as you drive around.
2. Use the maps and do some reconnaissance after hours using a car with good gas mileage.
3. Ask a farmer.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

You need both.. Else you don't know how well off (or rather far off) you are side to side.. You don't know what pressure to put in the tires, side to side, Since that can vary too (I will not tolerate "All the wheels need to be the same pressure on an axle" idiots,, they need to be the same SIZE and that means properly inflated for the load they carry, may be diffrerent pressures)
Pretty strong language, You have your opinion others may disagree and are not necessarily, as you put it, "idiots" . Most people post to this site because it is informative and non-confrontational. Go ahead express your opinion. People can either take your advice or advice of others it's their choice.
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I my state grain elevators and gravel pits all have scales. Some charge, some will not! Truck stops all charge.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:43 PM   #12

wa8yxm, since you gave this RV Safety Link then maybe you should read it very carefully because below is a direct quote out of it from the link below. At least us "idiots" can read. I know for a fact that RV Safety, Monaco, Michelin, Goodyear and other companies all say that all the same tires on the same axle should be inflated the same. It appears that you might be the odd one.

The quote below is from this link
RV Safety, Merritt Island, Florida

Tire Inflation

One of the most important issues concerning tires is also the most controllable by you: tire inflation. Proper tire inflation pressure is key to protecting the lifetime of tires, especially on motorhomes. Like the relationship between your head and your hat, your tires do more than just support your motorhome. They cushion you over rough surfaces, carry you to new heights, accelerate your body, and “brake” your speed. Clearly, your life and those of your fellow travelers are in the “hands” of your tires, and the only way you can reap the rewards from the engineering that went into your tires is to maintain their proper inflation. To fully realize its potential and do its job, a tire must have its proper shape or profile. Too little air pressure will cause it to flex too much, creating overheating and stress, which can lead to premature tire failure. However, too much air can be nearly as dangerous. An overinflated tire has a reduced contact area with the road. When you need good contact on the road for braking, especially on wet roads, an overinflated tire could cause you to lose control of your vehicle.

Failure to maintain correct inflation pressures may result in accelerated and uneven tread wear, improper vehicle handling, and excessive heat buildup. To make sure you maintain the correct pressure in your tires, check the air pressure regularly with an inflation gauge that is calibrated up to 120 psi. The recommended inflation pressures for your tires are indicated on the certification label or in your owner’s manual. However, since motorhomes can be configured and loaded in many different ways, the proper inflation pressure should be determined by actual tire loads. The actual loads can be ascertained by physically weighing the vehicle. These loads will change from trip to trip, depending on how the coach is loaded. Check with the tire manufacturer to obtain load and inflation tables.

Inflate all tires on the same axle to the same pressure. Although this may cause a difference in the tire patch (the area of tire tread in direct contact with the ground surface) if your coach is significantly heavier on one side, there are other considerations, such as spring rate, that dictate the same pressure. (The ultimate solution is to balance your coach so that each tire on each axle is carrying the same load.)

Check the air pressure in the tires at least once a month, before each trip, and each morning that you’ll be driving during a trip. Inflation pressures should be checked when the tires are cold; that is, before they have been driven one mile. Heat generated during driving increases air pressure above the proper cold inflation pressure. This is normal, so never “bleed” air from a hot tire, since this could result in dangerous underinflation.

It may be difficult to check the air pressures of the inside tires in dual-tire setups. However, it is important that these air pressures be maintained, because the inside dual tires are subjected to higher heat exposure (from brakes) than the outer tires, as well as lower air circulation and crowned road surfaces (which can cause inside dual tires to support more of the load than the outside dual tires).

Make sure all tire valves and extensions are equipped with valve caps to keep out dirt and moisture. Metal valve caps produce a better and longer-lasting seal than inexpensive plastic caps. Installing a new valve assembly is a good practice whenever a tire is replaced

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:57 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for all of the tips. Unfortunately, I do not know of any non-Cat scales in the local area. Aweigh We Go is not coming to the west coast this year. I will try the truck scales on my next trip if I we see any that are closed.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
You don't know what pressure to put in the tires, side to side, Since that can vary too (I will not tolerate "All the wheels need to be the same pressure on an axle" idiots,, they need to be the same SIZE and that means properly inflated for the load they carry, may be diffrerent pressures)

Wow, quite a shocking bit of advice. Do you actually weigh each tire setup and then adjust your air pressure according to the weight it has on it for each trip?

To the OP. For a CAT scale simply pull on the scale. Stop when your front axle is on the front pad by the speaker box. Unless you have a driver side door you will probably have to get out and go over and push the speaker button, the lady/man will ask you if it is your first weigh or re-weigh. Tell them first weigh, they will then ask for your truck number. Make one up if you like. They then will tell you to park and come in. Pull off the scale, park somewhere and go in and get your ticket. Pay the $9.00 fee and they will give you your scale ticket.