Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #1

Using Toilet in Winter?

Hi,

Each winter with our old Class B Pleasureway Sprinter, I would first dump the tanks, bypass the heater, and winterize all the lines.

But I would continue to use the toilet all winter by flushing it with windshield wiper fluid. It was cheaper than the pink stuff used for fresh water systems, and would keep the black water from freezing.

We're just beginning our first winter with a new Thor Four Winds 22 E (We love it!). But before using windshield wiper fluid to flush our toilet, I wanted to check in with all of you to see if there might be some problem I'm not aware of. ...Or if others had another system to use the toilet all winter.

Thanks!!

Tom
tdeloughry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

When we owned our 87 Minnie Winie I used to use windshield washer to flush the toilet all winter as we used RV to go skiing. It worked great and if the tank froze we put in water softener salt to thaw it out so we could dump it. Didn't have any water in the lines or tanks.

Now in our 04 coach the compartments where the lines and tanks are are heated which is nice.

Enjoy your Winter camping!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #3

I used the windshield fluid stuff (-20 degrees) for several years in my first MH but eventually the toilet needed a new seal to keep the fluid in the bowel. The guy that replaced the seal said the alcohol? in the fluid was hard on the seal. Since then I use the pink stuff (-50 degree) diluted 50% with water. That cuts the cost in half and is freeze resistant enough to do the job. Works for me anyway. Enjoy
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #4

Keep in mind that when it comes time to dump your tanks and you are in a campground that uses a septic system, the alcohol in windshield washer antifreeze will degrade the action of the system. Let's be responsible RV'ers and have some consideration for campground owners.
JesseJ1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #5

Might want to watch the windshield washer fluid as it is flammable.

MSDS Sheet
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Use the pink stuff less of a problem with freezing and affecting your tank valves plumbing and always leave pink stuff in bowel to protect your toilet seal whether using the toilet or not.
What you think you may save may cost you more in long run, don't light a cigarette while using toilet.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV anti freeze at Walmart in my area is <$3.00/gal. At a 50% dilution rate that's <$1.50/gal. Pretty inexpensive in my book.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:08 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
RV anti freeze at Walmart in my area is <$3.00/gal. At a 50% dilution rate that's <$1.50/gal. Pretty inexpensive in my book.
X2
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote