Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2019, 08:29 PM   #71

the link, photo that the op posted is a TA truck stop. if he uses the truck lanes he won't have a problem
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2019, 08:43 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchick View Post
look at the lanes. at several truck stop locations that we have fueled at they have a lane or two labelled for rv and they have the standard small nozzle. but they are there among the truck lanes, not out with the normal auto pumps. other place have a couple of separate rv lanes that allow easier access and are away from the normal auto pumps and not part of the truck lanes.
Nearly always I have found those small nozzles on one end of the truck pump lanes, usually the lane closest to the fuel desk.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:53 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
I normally lock the pump handle to pump fuel then go to the passenger side and get that one started (we have a 230 gallon tank of which I will put in about 140-160 gallons at a time).

Recently, I had locked the handle on the driver's side and it slipped out and hit the ground with the fuel still flowing. In 12 yrs. of using truck pumps I've never had the handle come out. And, it's never happened in the almost 5 yrs. of owning this coach.

The 'fast' setting pumps one gallon every 3-4 seconds. It's amazing how fast the fuel flows. So, since I had the nozzle pop out, I just hold it as I don't want that to happen again. Thank goodness the metal nozzle didn't hit the coach when it popped out (no scratches!).

Safe travels,
Mark

What Motorhome holds 230 gal. Of fuel? Wow.
Tireman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 03:37 PM   #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman1 View Post
What Motorhome holds 230 gal. Of fuel? Wow.
He just has an entry level DP as shown in is signature block.

PS - In case you're using an app and can't see signature blocks, it's a 2015 Prevost Liberty.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 04:29 PM   #75

One thing about using the truck lanes that does take some getting used to is using the satellite pump on the curbside of the coach. Our fill port is on the curbside only, so I have no choice. Every truck stop I've been to had controls only on the pump on the driver's side, and usually you have to take the nozzle out of that pump to activate the system, then lay the nozzle on the ground as you go around and pump from the satellite pump on the other side. I find it unnerving to lay the nozzle on the ground like this, but only a few places have a better place to put the nozzle once you pull the lever to activate the pump.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:34 PM   #76

With my rig I always use truck lanes. I had my first experience of the nozzle popping out while fueling this year. Fortunately I had just let go of it when it popped out so I only lost 1-2 gallons on the ground and all over me. I pay special attention since this happened and have found the older nozzles have the ring at the end of the nozzle rounded off. These are the ones that don't hook the edge of my tanks very well. When I run into these I hold the nozzle during fueling.
bhammond1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:01 PM   #77

I hold the nozzle the whole time. Just in case!
lo-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:15 AM   #78
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
[...] Every truck stop I've been to had controls only on the pump on the driver's side, and usually you have to take the nozzle out of that pump to activate the system, then lay the nozzle on the ground as you go around and pump from the satellite pump on the other side. I find it unnerving to lay the nozzle on the ground like this, but only a few places have a better place to put the nozzle once you pull the lever to activate the pump.
There are many varieties of "over-the-door" hooks or similar and they don't take up much space. Maybe one of those could be of assistance in hanging the nozzle somewhere on the pump.

Just thinking out loud.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:39 PM   #79

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lo-tek View Post
I hold the nozzle the whole time. Just in case!

Yup, same here
Old 10-28-2019, 06:57 AM   #80

I run the high volume pumps on the lowest catch possible and let it fill

I do stay nearby just in case and to take hold when it nears the top
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:56 AM   #81
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Yup, same here
x 3. Also based on the fuel gauge on dashboard I pretty much knew how much I could fill within 10 - 15 gallon range. When the fuel is near the neck, I pay a particular attention to the sound and stop it in time. Learned a hard lesson the fuel spurted out.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel