Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-28-2014, 08:59 PM   #15
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by fastcat View Post
Many states, at least out west, have signs on the freeway saying (not a direct quote) trucks, camper, buses trailers etc. use right lanes except when passing. Washington state has signs saying vehicles over 10K (again not a direct quote) not allowed in left lane.

With that in mind, I almost always use the right lane(s).
The 10k limit is also for towing ANYTHING and it is being enforced. It used to be only where the signs were posted by compact with the DOT, but now the WSP has revoked that compact.
BTW, that also means you can't even pass two slow moving trucks using the fast lane, you MUST remain in the two right lanes.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2014, 11:19 PM   #16
Most interstates I've been on having signs stating "Slower traffic keep right".

Bob, Sherron & Kinsey (Goldendoodle)
2009 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:40 AM   #17
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
BTW, that also means you can't even pass two slow moving trucks using the fast lane, you MUST remain in the two right lanes.

Ahh the good old "My governor i set 0.1mph faster than his so I'm going to take 1/2 a hour to pass him as it's imperative I'm not slowed by 0.1mph"
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:39 AM   #18
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some states the sign says "All trucks right (or left) two lanes.

Others it says "Slower vehicles right (or left) lane(s)".

Since when I'm driving my Class A the object is not to get their first, but rather to "Stop and smell the roses" as it were.. I tend to be one of the slower vehicles on the road, and thus take the truck (Slower vehicle) lanes.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:06 AM   #19
Monaco Owners Club
Keep eyes open several freeways tell trucks or RVs use this/these lanes and they are not the right side. Or thru traffic use these lanes which are the center lanes. Some GPS really help with these area's.

2004 Clss C 31' Winnebgo
OLYLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:04 PM   #20
Ford Super Duty Owner
We stay in the right lane except when we are in big city and get to an area with the short on ramps where people coming in have little to no time to adjust speed for a proper merge. I94 through Detroit is good example. More than once we were in right lane and almost had a car smack us in the side. We hit the middle lane when we start seeing those kind of on ramps. Ticks off some people behind us sometimes but they are more than welcome to pass on the left.
2002 Four Winds Infinity 37', 2 slides, F53 with V10, 22,500# chassis, CHF. 4 of us and a German sheperd.
hochmuth1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:58 PM   #21
The OP was talking about the New Jersey Turnpike. There are sections of that highway, that have completely separate roadways. One roadway says " CARS ONLY " and the other says " ALL OTHER TRAFFIC ". Each roadway has 2 or 3 lanes, with flyovers to exits and rest areas. I guess that the reason for the high tolls.

When I see that, I understand it as CARS ONLY, meaning, only family type automobiles, not motorhomes, trailers or 5r's.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:20 PM   #22
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would think since your class A is built on a truck chassis it would be considered a truck and should be driven as such. Most are probably at their GVW. Nothing scares the bejebies out of me like a motorhome towing a car doing 80mph--totally crazy!
Don Kostyal
CMSgt, USAF ret.
2012 Canyon Star 3856//2009 Scion xB
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:24 PM   #23
Monaco Owners Club
I drive according to conditions. I anticipate my next on/off ramp and start getting in the proper lane. If traffic is heavy I move to the center lanes. I drive defensively, if I am coming up on slower traffic I move accordingly trying to maintain car lengths in front and back.

If I am following trucks I will usually stay in line unless one slows down on steep grades, if so I will pass first opportunity. Usually I have enough power to maintain speeds up grades but if I am slowed and have to drop a gear I'm stuck.

Problem is that most people do not drive accordingly, cars will always creep up in blind spots etc. If I anticipate this happening I will get if front of these people so I know where they are.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:11 PM   #24
Fleetwood Owners Club
I always use the trucks lanes when possible. Truck lanes are built for heavy weight, I think they are twice as thick as the auto lanes. The roads are in bad enough shape already, why add to the problem.
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
2007 Chev Classic CC LB D/A - Toad
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited - Backup Toad
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:52 AM   #25
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Originally Posted by campbell36 View Post
This is regarding a Class A Diesel Motorhome. I was wondering if motorhomes can use the car only lanes or do they need to use the truck lanes. What about other states in general?

Customs & Border Protection (Border Patrol) do not want MH's in the truck lanes as they are more for commercial activities. We're talking about the inspection stations on Interstate Highways (I-10 E. of ElPaso) and coming out of S. Texas ...
Hal & Ginny Miller '04 Beaver Santiam PRT40
'04 Saturn Vue - US Gear Brake - Blue Ox tow
4 "girls" (3 Irish Setters - Retriever)
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:18 AM   #26
We were in this parking lot last year on I215....

Eight hours from San Diego to San Bernadino .
Thanks Nuts
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38D
1962 BelAir 409/409
Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:36 AM   #27
Also use right two lanes as much as possible. In areas with short merge ramps i tend to run in second from right, which reduces my lane changing needs. After alk I'm expected to be slow in traffic and I'd hate to disappoint anyone😊
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:06 PM   #28
In Utah and Arizona, you cannot use the left lanes if you are driving an rv or big rig which moves slower than other traffic. Left Lane loafers they are called. Moving slower than others in the left lane. The highway patrol is just looking for the chance to give you a ticket. And they can too. Because the law says you must vacate the left lane if your slowing traffic down.

cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote