Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2007, 11:53 AM   #1

On our trip to New Orleans, I watched both gauges. As we went up some steep and long grades, the cluster gauge went throgh the roof, but, the new gauge showed only 250. The check engine light came on, and I had to pull off the Interstate so to temp could come down. As I sat there, letting the engine ideal, my new gauge went down to 190 and the cluster gauge stayed in the red. I turned the engine off and restarted it, the cluster gauge went back to normal. This told me that the main problem was with the temp senor on the engine block. I found a Ford dealer, and bought a new temp senor for only $15.00. This senor is next to the termastat housing, and uses a 3/4 deep well socked. The easiest way to do this is, open the coolant tank, then tighten it back down. This forms a vaccum, disconnect the connector, and with the 3/4 socket, remove the old senor and tighten the new senor. Reconnect to connector, start the engine and look for any leaks. There shouldn't be any, since the new senor comes with a sealant on the upper threads.

I also had possible air flow to the rad. A couple of years ago, I had the transmission flushed, and the tech stripped the mounts threads, and the line would not seat. So, they added a second cooler over the orignial, which worked perfectly for over two years, with no over heating. So I did not believe the extra cooler was causing my over heating problem. Just to make sure, I revoved the add on cooler and the orginial unused cooler, and moved the newer cooler up front with steel angle bars. I mounted it to the front cross over square tubing with self tapping screws (1/4in), and reran the hoses. Now, both rads gets full air flow.

So, when we left New Orleans the other day, both of the gauges works together. As we were driving on I-65N, a couple of times both gauges did rise as we went up a long grade. But, after the second time, both gauges stayed at the same level. There were some grades that were steeper and longer, and the temp stayed the same. On our trip to the mountains in NC, the temp did not move. Next week, we will driving further into the mountains, with much higher grades.

360HP Cummings
jcrowder47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2007, 11:53 AM   #2

On our trip to New Orleans, I watched both gauges. As we went up some steep and long grades, the cluster gauge went throgh the roof, but, the new gauge showed only 250. The check engine light came on, and I had to pull off the Interstate so to temp could come down. As I sat there, letting the engine ideal, my new gauge went down to 190 and the cluster gauge stayed in the red. I turned the engine off and restarted it, the cluster gauge went back to normal. This told me that the main problem was with the temp senor on the engine block. I found a Ford dealer, and bought a new temp senor for only $15.00. This senor is next to the termastat housing, and uses a 3/4 deep well socked. The easiest way to do this is, open the coolant tank, then tighten it back down. This forms a vaccum, disconnect the connector, and with the 3/4 socket, remove the old senor and tighten the new senor. Reconnect to connector, start the engine and look for any leaks. There shouldn't be any, since the new senor comes with a sealant on the upper threads.

I also had possible air flow to the rad. A couple of years ago, I had the transmission flushed, and the tech stripped the mounts threads, and the line would not seat. So, they added a second cooler over the orignial, which worked perfectly for over two years, with no over heating. So I did not believe the extra cooler was causing my over heating problem. Just to make sure, I revoved the add on cooler and the orginial unused cooler, and moved the newer cooler up front with steel angle bars. I mounted it to the front cross over square tubing with self tapping screws (1/4in), and reran the hoses. Now, both rads gets full air flow.

So, when we left New Orleans the other day, both of the gauges works together. As we were driving on I-65N, a couple of times both gauges did rise as we went up a long grade. But, after the second time, both gauges stayed at the same level. There were some grades that were steeper and longer, and the temp stayed the same. On our trip to the mountains in NC, the temp did not move. Next week, we will driving further into the mountains, with much higher grades.

360HP Cummings
jcrowder47 is offline   Reply With Quote