Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2008, 08:56 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Sarge. I just bought the Valteera regulator at CW. It was fairly easy to set the PSI to 65.

You guys are sure this PSI is safe, right? I despise plumbing problems!

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2008, 09:47 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wouldn't go over 50psi. That is more than adequate.

jmho

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
The 65 psi is fine Craig. I have run in excess of 80 psi with out problems, but I wouldn't recommend doing it often. As a matter of fact, what got me off the nickel to do it now was that at the park I have been at here in Pomona the pressure is regularly 80+ psi. No issues with the plumbing, but I was leaking past the toilet bowl valve and slowly filling the toilet. That was the flag that I better get off the stick and get a regulator. I have it set at 60 psi now, and all is happy again. Including the DW. The screw on 40psi regulators are just not enough pressure for a modern RV. Your plumbing will be fine at 60/65 psi.

Sarge
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:44 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
So DonnaB, where is your pressure gauge? I don't see it in your photo.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:00 AM   #19

Check out that brass looking thing to the left of the filter canisters. It is sitting on it's side, but works that way too. Was just easier running the plumbing that way. I believe it comes preset to 50 psi, but then you can adjust to your preference. I think the brand is Watt. This particular unit holds a static pressure of 50 psi (or whatever your setting) which is why we chose it. Most of the hose mounted units don't maintain static pressure. That is, the $14 ones typically don't, but the $30+ ones probably do.
DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:41 PM   #20

Donna
I like the water regulator and filter set up. Can you tell me more about the Regulator such as manufacturer and where you found it on line?

Thanks
Tom R
Old 07-07-2008, 02:36 AM   #21

Hi Tom,

I believe the manufacturer of the regulator we use is Watt. We bought the reg, filters and canisters from rvwebstore.com. They were very good to work with. If I'm remembering correctly....Don spoke with them first to find out the manuf info and then researched if it did what he wanted (i.e., maintain static pressure) before we bought. I see on their website it is available now at $49.95.

For the crud in the water that attacks the plumbing fixtures we have the on the go water softener. We chose it because of size and it uses a 1 pound box of table salt for the regen every week or so. After finding what we wanted, just did internet searching and found the best price. I think we got it via ebay from an ebay store.
DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:35 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
I bought one of thise things. Set the pressure at 60, 5 minutes later, the guage read 78 lbs. reset it several more times, with the same results. set it again at 38 lbs with the faucet in the rig running. 10 minutes later, it was at 68 psi. I returned it, got another with the same results. I'm done with the chineese garbage
Old 03-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
That 3/4 in. Watts regulator is available at Lowes for about $48. I placed mine in-line AFTER the filter and softener, along with a gauge, so I get an accurate pressure AFTER all these possible restrictors. I also use the same On-the-Go softener as Donna does...is nice to have soft water with no spotting of the shower door and surrounds. Also have an R.O. system for drinking water, plumbed into the refrigerator for ice and water in the door.

I don't worry about bursting a hose due to high pressure build-up on sunny days as its no biggie to install a new hose if it does crater. $20 for a new hose is cheaper than $48 for a replacement regulator.

I run mine at pressures of 45-65, depending on the park pressure. My pump puts out in the high 60's for pressure. If you have the PEX tubing in your plumbing system, you should have no problemns with those higher pressures.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:31 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
I bought a Watts 65psi regulator from Lowes. The fittings for the hose connectors, a guage,brass T and short nipple cost right at $100. But now I set it on 60 psi and it does not change one bit.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:34 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
I too just purchased a Watts Series N55B regulator w/pressure gauge. What a difference it made. The flow rate is the key. The N55B is 6-9 gpm, compared to 2.5 to 4.5 gpm of the typical regulators.

As far as the regulator being after the water filter/s, I wouldn't do that. The pressure at some RV parks has been as high as 95 to 100 lbs. This could blow out the seals on a filter. Even blow a hose.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:48 AM   #26

I have been using this Valterra Regulator. I have it set at 60 psi and so far no problems. I have never seen it over the 60 some Parks are less than 60. With a restrictor you are not getting the max flow.

Rick
Old 03-23-2009, 08:07 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Roy, from a hydraulic stand point with the water system, it does not matter if it is before the filter. You do not have any pressure drop across the regulator or filter until you open a facuet and have flow. When it is stagnate you want to keep the parks high pressure water off of the hose and filters.

The biggest problem with any of the water systems and regulators is the size of the orifice. The larger whole-house regulators have a larger flow orifice and do not restrict the waer flow, but do restrict the pressure.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are really only two regulators I recommend.. The other one is made by Watts

(Or rather two brands and the other one is Watts)