Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-03-2015, 11:03 PM   #1
Valterra valve seal replacement

On my maiden voyage in the Minnie I noticed a slight leak coming from the 1-1/2" Valterra valve connected to the gray water tank. Rather than try to find the cause of the leak, I bought a new valve and replaced the whole thing. Had a lot of trouble trying to keep the new seals in place while installing the valve. After replacing the valve I found that I still have a leak, so I took the valve out today and found that the seals had not stayed properly seated and that I had boogered one of them up. I have now ordered replacement seals.

My question is this: Do any of you motorhome gurus know a secret to keeping the seals in place during installation? I am considering using a very small bit of silicone to hold them in place. Is this a good idea, or does someone know of something better?

Ken and Deanie (with Ralph the cat)

2002 Winnebago Minnie, 331C, Ford E450 chassis
retired cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2015, 03:23 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Get a partner to help spread the pipes apart and slide the assembly into place. I use silicone grease to hold the seals onto the closed valve assembly. Get the screws finger tight and operate the valve a few times. Then tighten the bolts slightly with wrenches; do not over tighten. Leak test and tighten bolts if needed to stop any leaking. Good luck and keep us posted.

Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:23 PM   #3
One hint if you don't have a helper. Some glue clamps can be reversed and used as a spreader. Makes the installation much easier.

Have a nice day - Darrel
2007 3912 KSDP w/350HP ISL Cummins
2003 Grand Cherokee toad w/M&G Brake
Darrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:29 PM   #4
RV Wizard: Appreciate the info about the silicone grease, I think this will probably solve the issue (after I modify the valve housing a little).

Darrel: Thanks, but the problem is not being able to spread the pipes, but rather keeping the seals in place while reassembling the unit.

New seals are on order and should be here in a week or so. I'll let y'all know how it comes out.
Ken and Deanie (with Ralph the cat)

2002 Winnebago Minnie, 331C, Ford E450 chassis
retired cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:33 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
Why are you ordering just seals? The whole assembly is only $15.00!

Take either a plastic milk carton and cut the sides out. Sandwich the assembly between the two carton sides and insert. Once in place, pull the plastic carton sides out.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:06 AM   #6
You can wrap tape around the outside to hold seals in place.

Aviation form a gasket works well too but sticky nasty stuff and just a tiny bit needed to bond gasket to valve.

Then use file folder or other thin stiff whatever to make a barrier between valve and flange so gasket does not get snagged and dragged off.

Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote

replace, replacement, seal