Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2009, 12:30 AM   #1

Valve Stem Extensions

I have a 07 Winnebago 35j that has steel wheels with wheel covers. I would to find a set of valve stem extensions so i don't need a push/pull air chuck. I bought some at camping world that uses a bracket that mounts on the wheel cover hub but the cover would not go back on after i put the new hoses on. has anybody found anything that works.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2009, 06:07 AM   #2

What I did was buy the flexible stainless steel hoses and then mount them to a piece of aluminum flat bar (1/2"w x 1/8"t I think) which I then mounted to one of the holes in the wheel simulator (chrome hubcap looking thing) using pop rivits. Looking at the wheel, the outside dual has the screw on 135* adaptor, the rear has a short SS hose with the end secured through the aluminum flat bar. I just use my air hose direct to these fittings to air up the tires.

If I remember next time I am at the coach I will get a picture.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:50 AM   #3

If you can check your tires with a push/ pull air gauge, it would be foolish to install valve extensions. It is fairly common for these extensions to allow air to escape from your tires. If you do install them, always check your tires air pressure before driving.
I have aluminum wheels, so I don't need extensions to check my air pressure. I still always check the air pressure the night before I drive. That way if I do have a low or flat tire, I will have time to fix it before taking off.
Tom

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:31 AM   #4

Two things. If you have rubber valve stems, don't even think of using extensions and secondly, the best way is to go to a tire shop and have the long brass stems installed.
Bagger97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:26 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
steve R,

I had a similiar problem several years ago here is what I did------

And then------

Recently I installed a tire monitoring system

I think I'm all done now Everything works great!!
Old 03-28-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The best extensions are straight & stainless steel or brass on steal tire valves. The inside rear should point straight out and the outside should point straight in. This means that you need a push pull tire gage and inflater or combination of both.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:16 PM   #7
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
The best extensions are straight & stainless steel or brass on steal tire valves. The inside rear should point straight out and the outside should point straight in. This means that you need a push pull tire gage and inflater or combination of both.

Mike:

What kind of length are you talking about for the inside dual wheel pointing out? Should it also be supported by a rubber grommet inserted in the steel wheel?
Old 03-28-2009, 09:08 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
http://www.morrisonsvipcoach.com/

http://www.ridgenet.net/~tire-man/products.html

Borg Tire Supply - Page 29
Old 03-29-2009, 04:39 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
There is a rubber hole plug that can be used in the outer wheel to support the valve extension but I have not used any on my coach. My valve extension ends at the outside edge of hand hole of the outer wheel. It has been on without incident for over 7 years.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:49 PM   #10

WOW Thanks everybody for response. I'm not really against push /pull air chuck but my inside tire has a stainless steel hose that is supported by a flimsy spring it has no support everytime I try to put air in it I have to hold the extension and the air hose.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:12 PM   #11

check into the airless valve extentions ,if they leak it dont lose air in the tire

Sal Avitabile
Old 03-29-2009, 08:15 PM   #12

I just tried to install the 135 degree extension for the outside dual and it wont work, it hits the wheel
Old 03-30-2009, 12:00 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve R View Post
I just tried to install the 135 degree extension for the outside dual and it wont work, it hits the wheel
i am using the HALTEC 90 degree valve stem extensions. i have 19.5" wheels with wheel liners.

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote