Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-07-2003, 08:33 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Only problem I ever had with the braided extensions is that one broke loose from its mounting on the hub cap. The mounting bracket actually broke. Apparently it flailed around until it went back through the outer rim hole and got caught between the two tires, which tore the head off it and let the inner tire deflate. Ruined the tire (overheating) before I realized something was wrong back there.

Gary Brinck
2002 Dolphin LX - WorkHorse W22 chassis
2000 Chevy Tracker 4-Dr 4WD
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2003, 06:14 AM   #16
I agree with Richard and his cousin and Gary. Had the braided extensions installed, looked good felt great, second trip the extension came loose, the inside tire suffered and became marginal, now is a spare till we replace tires and get a good one off the currents as a spare.

Install extended valve stems, cost is not that much and it is a permanent fix to make the inside tires reachable.

I like Drivers idea of using soap bubbles to check for leaks air or propane and the kids generally have a jug to make bubbles at the park (Once a guy with an expensive rig shoe-horned into a spot at the state camp ground got upset as the bubbles were invading his space). The kids went to the playground and were soon joined by others, all of them created such a cloud of bubbles it was an awesome sight almost as nice as watching fireflies in a meadow.

Ah camping, spring is here at last.

RUSTIC is good.
Kudos to those who make Local, State & Federal Parks & Campgrounds possible and to those picking up the slack by Providing Private Campgrounds.

RUSTIC is good.
Kudos to those who make Local, State & Federal Parks & Campgrounds possible and to those picking up the slack by Providing Private Campgrounds.
Diesel-Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 10:37 AM   #17
I have the braided S/S and also have a 'very' slow leak on an inside dual. I will get it fixed one day, but until then it is sure easy to hook up compressor.

Short Cuts Always Take Longer

God Bless and Pleasant Journeys,
Dave Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 11:20 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Well, it wasn't a motorhome, but we used the stainless steel braided extenders (pressurized) on the inside rear wheels of our 1996 dually. On the outside, we used a solid steel U-bend extender (non-pressurized). We never had any problem with these.

On the new truck, I'm using a dually air chuck on the compressor and a dually tire gauge with only the short automotive "valve cap eliminator" extenders on the outside wheels where the valve stems face inward and the caps weren't accessible. Even then, I had to do some Dremel work on the air chuck to get it to slip over the valve stems. The only trick now is getting the valve cap off the inside dual - a section of fuel line hose of the appropriate diameter to slip over the valve cap takes care of that.

Tower - 2002 Dodge 3500 Cummins HO/6 speed/4.10LS SLT+ QC LB dually
Towee - 2000 Jayco Designer XL 3610RLTS 36' triple slide 5ver
Travel Companions - Our two Shelties, Brittany and the Bandit!
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally
2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 04:19 PM   #19
The ONLY way to go is with duallyvalve long valve stems. I converted to them on my Class C and it works so well. Easy to check and no extension to leak. On the front I just had long valve stems installed.

Here is the web site:
22' class C Winnebago

Toad Honda CRV
dinotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:58 AM   #20
We had the steel braided ones on our Ford Truck and had one come loose and leak .... Ordered the extended valves the other day from Borg Tire supply for our new Class C ..... will see what happens but sure seem to be a better fix than the extensions

C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 06:06 AM   #21

I don't use valve extensions for one good reason - neither the chassis or "house" manufacturers use them or have them available as options.
I simply reach between the rear wheels to get to the inner duals, remove the valve caps, and use the truck dual foot from the outside (thru the outer wheel). The fronts are no problem.
Julie & Ray

rayw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 06:59 AM   #22
iRV2 Marketing
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
My experience with valve stem extenders is that they add a complexity layer to the system that retains pressure in the tires. I have a set of Wheel Master valve extenders from my front tires and as of today they remain in the package, unused. My previous experience was that they leak.

I do use the OEM inside dual valve extensions that came with the motorhome. So far so good.
03 Adventurer 38G, Workhorse W22
F&R Track Bars, Safety+ , Ultrapower, Taylor Extremes, SGII
TST 507, Blue Ox, SMI, Koni FSD, CrossFire
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 07:11 PM   #23
Had the fancy wheel covers and extenders all around on my '00 Sunrise. 19.5 wheels. Pulled into a reststop one night. Bumped the tires in the morning. Righthand inside was way soft. I pulled the cover and found the extension braid was was torn apart. Apparently some roadedge debris had got up between the duals. Fancy covers went into the basement in case I ever trade the rig in, fancy extensions went in the trash. Bought a two footed gage at Camping World. Taint pretty but with tires at 300 a clip, who cares.
Dick and Joanne,

Cisco and Pancho,
DickNJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:33 AM   #24
Monaco Owners Club
I don't trust them. Would sooner spend the time checking them. Any thing added on is a chance to leak. Get the proper gauge and air chuck and it is not a problem. By the way I check my air almost everyday when traveling. Takes less then 5 min if everything is ok
2007 Monaco Camelot 40 PAQ
2007 JK 4Door Jeep
UPS 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:46 PM   #25
How about a 'Smart Tire' system, then you can check the pressure and temprature from the driver's seat?
John (40' 2004 Country Coach Inspire DP)
John66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 04:36 PM   #26
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2001 Mountain Aire on the 19.5 inch wheels. The inner dual extensions are no problem (16K miles) but the OUTER stems are impossible to get a guage on with the wheel covers installed. As important as inflation pressure is it would look like the WCC guys and the OEMs would make it the easiest of tasks, not the hardest.

Charlie and Lexanne
Loyal servants to Patches and Precious
CharlieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 05:31 PM   #27
Monaco Owners Club
Extensions came on our 2003 Adventuer. Have never had a problem - but I do worry about tire pressure. Bit the bullet last winter and purchased the Tire Sentry system for the coach and toad. This system does not use any battery power utill there is a need to give you a warning. Also the batterys are available anywhere and will easly be replaced by me when the need arrives. The coach does not have to be in motion for the system to work. While the coach is parked here at home, a quick peek at the dash display tells me if everything is ok. I adjust the Tire Sentry senders to activate at the pressure Winnebago calls for, for this coach. Then I run 5 lbs over the called for tire pressure for each tire. This means that if I ever have a tire drop to the standard tire pressure, I will receive a "Tire Position warning light and audible sound warning. This means that I will never run a tire low other than while stopping after a warning. Just competed a trip from Kansas City to Mount Rushmore, Deadwood City, Devils Tower, Yellowstone, Tetons, etc. What a pleasure it was to cruse down the highways knowing that all tires were aired up the the proper pressure. During the trip, during breakfast I noticed a tire position on the Jeep was flashing. Tire was just low enough to set off the alarm. Bottom line is that if there is a leak of any kind from any source, I will know when the tire pressure drops to the factory called for working pressure.
Monaco Knight PDQ38,2007
RR8R Chassis, ISC330 Cummins
Logthumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 04:27 AM   #28
COunt me on the side of the ones who had problems. I bought 2 valve extension hoses, and put aligator caps at the end of them. After 2 months, I noticed one of the tires wuld loose 2# per day. I took the aligator cap out and realized that the valve in the extension had failed. I just put the aligator cap tighter and made it back home with no problems, but took the valve extension out. I also took the hub caps out, so I could check the preassure without having to contract a contorsionist.

2007 Four Winds Chateau 31F
Map40 is offline   Reply With Quote