Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #1

Vapor Lock on 89 Ralley Jamboree?

Hello, I am new to this Rv world and posting for info so if I am in the wrong format or thread pls excuse me and lead me to the right world. Here is my question. I have recently purchased a 89 Ralley Jamboree a beautiful 24 foot motorhome, however when driving it in the heat four different times while going up hills the engine has lost power forcing me to the side of the road. After sitting for 10 minutes, it starts back up and I go on my merry way. Usually the temp stays low or immediately goes back to normal upon resume driving. Is this a vapor lock based on being old. any suggestions on what might be causing it? or how to fix it? Love my RV who Ive named JR.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #2

It could be a couple of things. The pickup in the fuel tank could be picking up trash when going uphill. The fuel filter may need changed or the fuel pump may not be pushing enough volume.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Could be.. could also be something like a fuel pump..

What engine,do you know?
Old 08-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Mary, welcome to the forum. Can't help with your question.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #5

The Jamboree has a 350 ford engine.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #6

Do you think a clothes pin will work, and if so were do I attach it to?
Old 08-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sure sounds like a failing fuel pump. Unfortunately, the gas tank needs to be dropped to replace it.
Double check your engine type. 350 is a Chevy / 351 is a Ford.
The old "clothes pin trick" is to use a bunch of them along the fuel line as a means of cooling the line, but wood is a lousy conductor of heat so I'm not sure it really does much.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Probably a weak fuel pump or a dirty fuel filter. Some folks add an electric pump inline to help out.

Ken
Old 08-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #9

The rv says 350 ford econoline on the front. We changed the fuel filter first but it has done it since,so i guess the pump will be the next option...i was really hoping the cloth pin trick would be a miracle cure
Old 08-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #10

thank u much for the advice
Old 08-14-2012, 11:16 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Buechte View Post
The rv says 350 ford econoline on the front. We changed the fuel filter first but it has done it since,so i guess the pump will be the next option...i was really hoping the cloth pin trick would be a miracle cure
"350" doesn't refer to the engine size, but rather is a Ford one ton chassis. E.g 150- 1/2 ton, 250- 3/4 ton, 350- 1 ton.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
We had a similar issue with our 98 Chev P30. Ended up having to replace the fuel pump (which as mentioned above, is in the fuel tank and requires partially draining and then dropping the fuel tank to replace). If it can help, one thing I realized after puttering to the nearest service station is that if I had simply pulled the gas cap off, I probably would have avoided the stalling (Knowing that, I probably could have driven to the next big town and gotten it fixed much quicker rather than having to wait for the part in the small town we were stranded in).
Old 08-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mary,
To find out your engine size, there should be a sticker or label under the hood or next to the radiator (hood open) giving a whole bunch of information like vacuum hose routing and tune up specifications. It should also state the size engine your motorhome has. It could be the 351 (5.8 liter) as I already mentioned, but you could also have the big 460 (7.4 liter) V-8. Helps to know that for ordering parts or talking with a mechanic but it may not make a difference for the fuel pump.
Best of luck getting it running good again!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #14

Don't know if you're doing your own work but I would change the fuel filter again and this time collect some fuel in a glass jar, that way you can see if crap is coming out of your tank, also will help to establish if you are getting enough fuel pressure. Next, cheapest thing, is vacuum lines, replace all you can see and if you get a squirt bottle and some water with dawn, ivory, etc spray on lines and if you see bubbles that's bad. Next, 350 refers to the chassis and that's a 1 ton chassis. You have either a 460 or 351 and I would suspect a 460. Start at the beginning and do routine stuff. It may solve your problem. Do a tune up, plugs and wires also, a bad plug or wire could also shut you down. Also you possibly could have a bad tank of gas. Gas up at stations that do lots of volume. Good luck