Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2012, 11:59 PM   #1

vehicle length & other restrictions

Hello we're new to the RV travelling world and looking forward to meeting new freinds and aquaintances in our travels. One question I have is regarding the vehicle length restrictions we might encounter as we travel through the USA. In Canada we have reciprical agreement between the provinces which allows us to travel between jurisdictions so long as we abide by the rules of our home province for vehicle length, weight and licensing. However I have heard that the rules may differ between states with the potential to cause problems when travelling across state lines.
Our motorhome is 36' and I want to tow a trailer which will allow me to carry our car and motorcycle. The trailer will be approximately 30' including the tongue which will result in a total vehicle combination length of approximately 66'.
The trailer will be equipped with brakes, appropriate lighting and load security devices.
Are there any jurisdictions where I might encounter issues with the "county mounties"
Will I be required to pull into the commercial vehicle truck inspection scales and areas in any states and which ones.
Does anyone out there have some advise they can pass on to me
Thanks and looking forward to the responses.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2012, 01:02 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Here's what I think is a pretty accurate reference source:
http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:14 AM   #3

I no nothing about other states but in california 65 ft is it. I do not think you will have any problems unless the highway patrol officer did not get his donut that morning
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:31 AM   #4

Here is another site State Towing Laws for RVs

We are a total 75' and have been towing for a year without any issues what so ever.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:53 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheaded View Post
Here is another site State Towing Laws for RVs

We are a total 75' and have been towing for a year without any issues what so ever.
So I have always wondered about 45'ers towing trailers. What state are you licenensed - or maybe registered in? I know for us, in CT., if our trailer was over - I think - 6,000lbs, it needs to be inspected at DMV *and* in CT our total combined vehicle length is 60'. We're about 6' under that with our current motohome and trailer, but any considerable upgrades to a 40' footer or longer would put us over the state limitations.

I've seen in states like Montana, the total combined length is 75'. For me, when we're eventually able to upgrade to the larger coach of our dreams, the combined allowed length for Montana registrations is just another reason to register there.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:26 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hicksie View Post
Will I be required to pull into the commercial vehicle truck inspection scales and areas in any states and which ones.
YOU said it...These inspection stations are for commercial vehicles only!
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:30 AM   #7

Thanks for the information it seems that I should be OK so long as I keep the total at 60 ft - 65 ft. If I either drive the bike up onto the tongue or angle it on the deck I will be good to go and keep the smokies off my back.
Les
Old 12-30-2012, 07:31 AM   #8

My new Rand MCNally 7720 has a feature that shows each states regulations for weight, and length...
Old 12-30-2012, 07:39 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
One other consideration, some states require the toad to have a braking system. We have a roadmaster product that performs well. I know South Carolina is one. Since we had the unit installed I did not research any further. Just sayin!
BTW.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Even though you may be OK fro length in your home state (maybe 75'), you are bound by the local state regulations to meet their requirements. They only recognize your drivers license for the RV you are utilizing. You must meet their stte laws fro the road...height, width, weight and length.

Ken
Old 12-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
These lists are not always accurate. For example; both lists above show MD single length as 40'. Since I am 42'8" and travel through MD often I was not a happy camper until I found the statute and read it for myself. 40' is listed as the max single length but if you read further into the statute it says Motorhomes and busses are 45'.
Playtime III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #12

This is one to keep on the smartphone -
Trailer Dimensions | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws
troyorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hicksie View Post
Hello we're new to the RV travelling world and looking forward to meeting new freinds and aquaintances in our travels. One question I have is regarding the vehicle length restrictions we might encounter as we travel through the USA. In Canada we have reciprical agreement between the provinces which allows us to travel between jurisdictions so long as we abide by the rules of our home province for vehicle length, weight and licensing. However I have heard that the rules may differ between states with the potential to cause problems when travelling across state lines.
Our motorhome is 36' and I want to tow a trailer which will allow me to carry our car and motorcycle. The trailer will be approximately 30' including the tongue which will result in a total vehicle combination length of approximately 66'.
The trailer will be equipped with brakes, appropriate lighting and load security devices.
I suspect that reciprical agreements between States will differ for you. A Canadian resident may have to abide by an agreement that is determined on a national level and may not be determined by the difference in State Laws. I do not know that. Your question just makes me analize without actually doing any research. I believe if I were you, I would attempt to determine the States that you may be traveling in and then make my setup so it would be in accordence within the State with the most stringent restrictions. County highways may vary from what is allowed on State and Federal roads. Many times this is determined by the width of the lanes. The same thing applies to the city laws as they may differ. You would be under the same restrictions that all of us need to follow and are quite often confusing. ( I think they can confuse the County Mounties as well)
Are there any jurisdictions where I might encounter issues with the "county mounties"
There are very few that would require you to stop as they are for "commercial Vehicles". If you see a RV in one of them chances are it is there because the driver was unsure or because it was being driven by an professional driver in a delivery mode. I belive they are expected to stop. Although since they are driving an RV they may find it easy to ignore that requirement.
Does anyone out there have some advise they can pass on to me
Thanks and looking forward to the responses.
Enjoy your Travel in the US! We sure enjoy ours in Canada!
Old 12-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Here's what I think is a pretty accurate reference source:
http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

Great info.

Thanks !!!!