Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Vertical Slide Adjustment on HWH?

I've read countless threads about replacing the OEM carpet in motorhomes and the challenges presented by the flat floor slides riding over laminate/Allure, etc. In fact, I've replaced my carpet with Allure nose to tail. However, I've had two major challenges:

1) Since I wanted a flat look from the firewall to the bedroom closet I had to install 1/4" plywood underlayment where the carpet had been and then blend it into the steel floor of the nose section using leveling compound.

2) Where the carpet had been, it was naturally installed prior to the slides being installed so was tucked well down the "ramp" which the slides ride up on. Originally I cut the carpet back only to the "ramp" thinking that it could provide a smooth transition for the slides to ride in and out on. That hasn't worked since the glue holding the carpet down has let go and I'm now working to cut ALL of the carpet out from both top and underneath the coach.

All of this has resulted in the Allure being scarred in several places from the repeated movement of the slides. I'm not terribly concerned about the damaged Allure since I think I will be able to replace the bad planks once I'm convinced I've got the slides operating properly.

So... I have a couple of questions regarding how the HWH flat floor slides operate. I've found thread which speculate on the adjustability of them but usually point to the HWH factory which I have heard shys away from such adjustment in favor of sending Winnie owners back to the factory since they are the ones who install and adjust the slides. Then I hear stories that the Winnie factory quotes $400 to start with to begin to make slide adjustments. So I'm confused. I guess I have two questions:

1) are these slides designed to have the floor of the coach support their weight when retracted?

and, if not

2) can they be adjusted to ride a fraction of an inch higher to avoid scraping the floor?

There appear to be large adjustment nuts on the slide mechanisms but a man's got to know his limitations and I figure if it were that easy I would have been able to find it on the forum somewhere.

Any insights are appreciated.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2010, 05:36 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Adjustments at the end of the ram are not going to help the slide out floor height over the main floor. Are there rollers or nylon shoes on the bottom of your slide out floor? Have you thought about using slide out sliders or something equivilent? You should be able to put the room half way out and tip the top outward to view the bottom. You will need help and wooded wedges can be placed under the floor to hold it for inspection. If you have a nylon shoe you might consider carpeting it.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:04 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Mike. It seems the shoes/skids are a nylon type material. I've certainly thought of using something to protect the floor during retraction but was trying to avoid it. It just seems odd to me that such a large mating as the slideout room and the coach wouldn't have adjustments to account for variations in manufacture, tolerance stacking, etc.

My question concerning the weight bearing nature of the design was motivated by recent posts from folks who have had luck using various transition strips mounted in such a way as to cause the slide to ride up over them and therefore above the floor level. If I understand it correctly, this approach in effect extends the "ramp" on the floor which the slides ride on during retraction. However, it's hard for me to see that working if the slide requires the floor to support its weight.

Thanks again...

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 10-04-2010, 03:43 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Rick, if your slide out is a flush floor style, as I assume, the design requires the main floor to support the slide out room's weight when retracted; one reason for the nylon shoe. For solid floors, rollers could be used so as to not scratch the finished floor.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Mike. That's the definitive answer I was looking for. I sure wish I could use rollers but that sounds like a megabuck retrofit.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 10-04-2010, 02:42 PM   #6

When the carpet is pulled in favor of vinyl or laminate you need to change the slide shoe from the nylon to the carpeted version. It is covered with the gray stuff like the inside of your storage compartments.I did the conversion to the vinyl squared matching the kitchen and it worked out well. Make sure your floor is clean befor running the slide in or anything caught underneath will damage your new floor.

04 Winnebago 33v
Mortgagehomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Chuck. Do you have any details on the changing of the slide shoes? I assume you had to have a dealer do it? How costly was it?

Thanks,

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 10-04-2010, 03:29 PM   #8

Rick, I looked at it for a few days and opted to have a dealer do it. I supplied them with the part numbers that I got from the factory help line and made an appointment to have them do the change over after pulling the carpet but before laying the new vinyl. They said it was going to be up to 8 Hours shop time but I got a very experienced tech that got the job done in 4. They charged me $100. an hour. There is going to be some sticky stuff left on the stainless ramp from the carpet gluebut you can get it off with WD40 and a rag. Wear a good glove when you do this as the edges can be sharp.

04 Winnebago 33v
Mortgagehomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:02 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

thanks again Chuck!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD