Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2016, 10:58 PM   #1

Very confused new member trying to decide on RV

I'm new to this forum and about to retire - trying to decide what to buy. I've been vacillating between a class B and small (22' or less) class C. Not sure if this is where this post belongs.
I'm a female who will be traveling alone usually and plan to do mostly longer trips - eventually may transition to full time. I expect to be moving a lot rather than staying places for long periods of time. I was first looking at possibly a Roadtrek 170 but with my budget of $40-$50K that would leave me with an older unit so have started looking at small Class C's. They have more living space and storage, but my concerns are the driveability and vastly decreased MPG. The B would be much easier to drive and would be more "stealth" but I plan on having a scooter on the back to use for sightseeing and shopping and don't know if the weight would be a problem. I'm also concerned about the handling of the C in the wind, but I can get an almost new C for my price vs a B that is 8-10 years old or older. I think I can live in a B and deal with the storage issue but would be more comfortable in the C. Is it worth sacrificing the handling of the B to get a newer vehicle? Any suggestions on something that would sleep 3? How does one go about finding a mechanic to check out a vehicle before purchase? I live in Florida but will travel for the right RV. Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2016, 11:17 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
If you get a C or B+ without the cabover bed, the handling might feel easier to you. I drive our old but goody Honey which is 22' and has no cab over bed. Mileage will get you. You might do better with a newer B type if you are not mechanically inclined.Anything as tall as a B is still going to get pushed around on the road by Trucks and wind. You will learn how to steer to anticipate the rush. If you take it slow and easy, you won't have much trouble.
No clue on the sleeping. We can sleep 3 in ours, but don't.
A scooter should be ok, but it depends on the Chassis and length.
You pay a mechanic to see if it's something worth purchasing. Helps if you know a good one, and usually they will tell you if it's something they think is worth it/ok, or not. They don't want to be working on it all the time...they have other customers too. Some shops even have a check off list they use and you get to keep their list of findings. Ask friends for suggestions of mechanics they know and trust.
There are a few other ladies who solo RV on the forum here, I hope they will speak up. I personally know one who has a shorter Class C and travels with her monkey and the monkey's dog. She full times. Tries to stay where it is sunny, warm, and dry!

MartySQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:29 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:51 AM   #4

Under the RV Forums heading you will find both a Class B and Class C section. You might want to hang out there aa bt and post some more questons.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:00 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Good luck with your search; here is a good article about RV inspections when buying one for the first time. There is a national organization that certifies inspectors and provides listings for different states.

Hope this helps,
Brian
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatpuck View Post
I'm new to this forum and about to retire - trying to decide what to buy. I've been vacillating between a class B and small (22' or less) class C. Not sure if this is where this post belongs.
I'm a female who will be traveling alone usually and plan to do mostly longer trips - eventually may transition to full time. I expect to be moving a lot rather than staying places for long periods of time. I was first looking at possibly a Roadtrek 170 but with my budget of $40-$50K that would leave me with an older unit so have started looking at small Class C's. They have more living space and storage, but my concerns are the driveability and vastly decreased MPG. The B would be much easier to drive and would be more "stealth" but I plan on having a scooter on the back to use for sightseeing and shopping and don't know if the weight would be a problem. I'm also concerned about the handling of the C in the wind, but I can get an almost new C for my price vs a B that is 8-10 years old or older. I think I can live in a B and deal with the storage issue but would be more comfortable in the C. Is it worth sacrificing the handling of the B to get a newer vehicle? Any suggestions on something that would sleep 3? How does one go about finding a mechanic to check out a vehicle before purchase? I live in Florida but will travel for the right RV. Thanks.
Welcome and we are happy you joined us. We had a 2003 Roadtrek 190 Versatile. The previous owner had a mattress installed in the rear for a full time bed. My wife and I really enjoyed the Roadtrek. We mostly did long weekend tips but did a 3 week trip out to the Midwest, then done south and back home.

Sometimes we would rent a car so we would not have to unhook everyday. Sometimes we would unhook and use the Roadtrek to sightsee. Either way it was fun but a tad to small for us to travel in after I retired. We normally did not shower in it and my wife's chief complaint wad having to be by the bathhouse to shower.

Either way each class RV has pluses and minuses. Only you will be comfortable in your revision knowing your life style. My Roadtrek averaged 15 MPG and could have any mechanical issues done at any repair facility. My Class A averages about half that and not so much for repair facilities. The Class C will fall in somewhere in between.

Hope this gives you some information to think about as you continue to look.

Tom
Old 08-27-2016, 09:36 AM   #7

Go C, go a bit bigger.
If you are going to do very long trips or full time you will need clothes for 3 or 4 seasons wet and dry. The front bunk becomes an excellent attic for what you do not need immediately available. Just keep the weight reasonable. Bulk goes high, weight goes lower in the unit. Lower the better.

You will also be living in the unit not camping out of it. How will you manage 3 days of rain? You will really want a place to sit other than the dining table or bed. You will want a hanging closet that actually lets you hang a few things. That will also sleep 3 several different ways depending on who sleeps together, or not.

Gas milage may not as big a deal as you might think. How often will you be moving? How far? If you have the scooter for the grocery run then two of us do 3 days between dumps, you can do 5 or 6. That means you can park that long dry with maybe a half dozen gallons of drinking water in the shower. I added the gallons because local water does not always taste good even though it is safe to drink plus some backup is good. C water tanks are usually in the 40-50 gallon range and waste tanks more or less each half that.

As far as driveablity goes they all work but why drive in bad weather? Find a parking spot. You are retired thus no schedule. Most weather blows over in a few hours. It's not worth the hassle of driving in it.

Think it over. Enjoy! ;-)
Old 08-27-2016, 10:04 PM   #8

My Mom, 76 years of age, had a 21 foot Roadtrek that she used for about 5 years. She sold it last year and immediately started looking for something a bit larger. Most of the time it was just her but it was still pretty cramped in that thing. She looked and looked and finally found a used 22 foot 2004 BT Cruiser on the Ford chassis. I believe it's considered a B+. She's had it for close to a year and she really likes it. Drives easy, parks easy, and has plenty of room for her and the pup.

She paid right a $20,000 which was one of the better deals we found. A newer model, and there are different floor plans, could certainly be had in that 40 or 50k range.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:39 PM   #9

I think it all comes down on how long you plan on staying anywhere. I find many of the posters on this website note that they cannot stay at a state park longer than two weeks. I can't imagine staying any place that long! I'm always moving around and spend very little time other than eating and sleeping in the RV.

I have a 24' Class C; with the bunk, it sleeps five. I get a whopping ten MPG. If I were to decide to really tour the country, I would give serious thought to a Class B. The one posting says 15 MPG which is what I get in my SUV and is 50% more than what I get in my Class C. Cross country, that adds up. It also would be much easier for city driving.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:07 PM   #10

You have raised several good questions.

We have a 25 foot 2014 Sunseeker 2300 Class C. As to price, they can be bought new in the 50's, with bigger models in the 60s. The key to getting a great price can be using an online dealer like RVdirect.com. Take their quote to dealers in your region. It worked for us. Ours was just over $50K plus tax a couple of years ago.

Class C's for the most part are not built nearly as well as B's. For that reason, a several year old B for $40K might be a better buy than an almost new C.

Class C's are okay to drive but yes, they do get pushed by wind and trucks. And the MPG is pretty pitiful. The Chevy ones do better than the Fords by 1 or 2 MPG's, it seems. Ours gets 9-10. 10 in neutral conditions at 65 MPH or so.

Sleeping 3 in a C will be WAY easier than in a B.

There are some B+ models that are narrower than C's, more streamlined, and easier to drive. Phoenix Cruiser would be a great one to look at. It might be the best compromise for your situation.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:47 AM   #11

We had the same problem and started looking at the B's. However traveling 3-6 months at time we felt is was too small and ended up with a 25 ft. Class C and are happy we did for the increase living space. Driving is not a problem once you get used to being "pushed around". We did opt for a diesel and our mileage ranges between 15-17 depending on how hard we are driving.

momdoc
Old 09-04-2016, 06:57 PM   #12

Thanks for all your suggestions. I want a class B rather than something larger because of the HOA Nazis - I would like to park my vehicle in my driveway rather than have to pay for storage and not have the vehicle where I am. I know I have no chance with B+ or C. I'm now looking at possibly a used Winnebago Travato (but am concerned that they don't have a spare tire) or maybe a 2009 or 2010 22" Winnebago ERA. They are a bit more than my price range but am hoping for negotiating room. Does anyone have any information about either of them? Or maybe a Roadtrek 210 or 190 that sleep 3.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:22 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatpuck View Post
Thanks for all your suggestions. I want a class B rather than something larger because of the HOA Nazis - I would like to park my vehicle in my driveway rather than have to pay for storage and not have the vehicle where I am. I know I have no chance with B+ or C. I'm now looking at possibly a used Winnebago Travato (but am concerned that they don't have a spare tire) or maybe a 2009 or 2010 22" Winnebago ERA. They are a bit more than my price range but am hoping for negotiating room. Does anyone have any information about either of them? Or maybe a Roadtrek 210 or 190 that sleep 3.
The folks on the Class B forum likely will be of help to your question.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, new member