Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-07-2016, 03:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Vinegar or CLR to clean tanks and Water heater?

I have never run vinegar through my fresh water tank or water heater, does anyone do this or CLR thru regularly?

Marianne & Jerry.
2005 Winnebago Journey 36G C-7 Cat 350HP. Areo Muffler.
2014 Honda CRV ***USS Decatur DDG-31*1972-1975***
inlineskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2016, 03:35 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We use bleach. 1/4 cup for every 15 gallons of water. Our fresh water tank holds 60 gal.. So 60 divided by 15= 1 cup bleach. Mix the bleach in a pitcher of water then add to fresh water tank. Pump it through all your faucets, both hot and cold side. Don't forget the outside shower. Drive around a bit and I let it sit over night. Drain and flush the entire system till you can no longer smell bleach.

Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:03 PM   #3
I wouldn't consider using CLR. Bleach in the property quantities is the proven method.
If you suspect scaling in the water heater then drain it, flush it out and replace the anode if it has one and is called for
Ron & Linda
2000 Dynasty 38PBS
Full time since 2007
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:49 PM   #4
Vinegar is a great 'descaler' BUT takes GALLONS

EX: Vinegar soak for a 6 gallon water heater------4 gallons vinegar/2 gallons water then 4 heat cycles (heat to temp/cool repeat) This is in Atwood water heater manual for a means to remove sulfur smell due to bacteria/bad water

CLR is NOT recommended for use in water heaters by the MFGr.

Bleach is widely used to sanitize RV fresh water systems
1/4 cup bleach per 15 gallons water
Fill system with mixture.....let set for couple hours then drain/rinse
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:17 PM   #5
I've used the vinegar/water treatment for my water heater mentioned above. For the flush, use a flush tool similar to Water Heater Tank Rinser - Camco 11691 - Water Heaters - Camping World

I was amazed at how much stuff came out of the water heater the first time I flushed. Flush before the vinegar treatment and then afterwards. I now flush the water heater on an annual basis.
Pete - Full Timing
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:24 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The question is "Why?". If you think you have a hard water scale problem, either might work, though I would try the vinegar first. It's cheap and safe for potable water systems. CLR is a poison and it says right on the package "DO NOT INGEST!". You would need to exercise extreme caution to flush it out after wards.

But there should be no need for any such treatment unless maybe you spend all your time in an extreme hard water region. Even then, the most likely problem areas will be faucets and check valves. And you will be well aware of it!
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:28 PM   #7
Solo Rvers Club
I have hard well water that I use filtered in the camper. When and if I have a clogged faucet aerator I will just clean it. I will be long dead before the calcium clogs the pipes in the camper. If the water heater has a buildup and smell I will add some bleach to the drain hole. Fill it up and wait several days before draining the tank to get rid of a funky smell in the hot water.

I see no reason to run vinegar through the fresh water tank. Bleach every year, yes.

2011 Four Winds Chateau 28A
Ford E350
2012 Honda CRV
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote

heat, heater, tank, water, water heater