Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2005, 05:29 PM   #1

My 93 Winnebago Brave has a 1-piece rubberized (fiberglass) roof. It is not leaking presently. I know that nothing lasts forever, and I was wondering if anyone can tell me what I can do to extend its life, how I should go about repairing it when it finally does leak, and if anyone's successfully replaced one.

Thanks, and happy RVing!

Dave

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2005, 05:29 PM   #2

My 93 Winnebago Brave has a 1-piece rubberized (fiberglass) roof. It is not leaking presently. I know that nothing lasts forever, and I was wondering if anyone can tell me what I can do to extend its life, how I should go about repairing it when it finally does leak, and if anyone's successfully replaced one.

Thanks, and happy RVing!

Dave

Old 10-30-2005, 05:36 PM   #3

Dave
You either have a EPDM rubber roof , or a fibreglass -there is a difference. Don't confuse the two. Find ouit which you have, and go from there.

2005 Revolution LE 40E
Steve Val is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 08:27 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The roof of a 93 Brave is almost certainly EDPM rubber rather than fiberglass. (EDPM is also called EPDM - its the same stuff.) There are numerous sources for rols of EDPM - it is used in commercial roofing as well as RVs. Any RV dealer should be able to get the EDPM and adhesives for you, but I suspect it would be much less expensive to find a source that does not have the term "RV" associated with it.

Try a Google search on EDPM and/or EPDM and you will find lots of sources. Here's one:

RV rubber roofing
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 05:09 PM   #5

Excellent, and thanks much for the info. Just trying to prepare for the inevitable. Sounds like adding RV to a product increases its price in the same way that "marine" increases the price of what should be (in some cases) common and automotive items. But I digress...

Dave
Old 11-01-2005, 06:33 PM   #6

In general if you can find the same product at a supplier other than an RV supply shop, it will cost less, similar to what you said about marine, although the word marine seems to add more to the cost than RV does.

A friend of mine went to the dealer to get a fresh water pump for his 28 foot boat. Was 145 bucks at the boat dealer, 59.95 at the RV shop for the same pump.

Terry
Old 11-01-2005, 07:05 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I think your '93 Winnebago has a one piece fiberglass roof with a 10 year warranty. My old '94 did. If so you have no need to worry. Just inspect the caulked side, front and rear seams every 6 months and you'll be good to go.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote