Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2010, 07:51 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

VMSpc USB Com Port #

After talking about it for years, I finally pulled the trigger and bought it. Intallation on to my HP Netbook (XP) wasn't quite plug and play. Because there's not a CD drive I had to copy the installation CD onto a jump drive and install from there. Then I had to play with it a bit to get the drivers installed but got that too.

The biggest road block I hit was in getting the PC to recognize the JIB via the right com port. The install assigned com port #13 but I kept getting errors saying the PC couldn't communicate with the JIB.

A search of this forum revealed a thread containing a post from someone who had had this same problem and discovered that either XP or the VMSpc software doesn't like being assigned a com port >#9. I reassigned com port #1 to the JIB and am now in business!

We're on our way from Minnesota to Arizona and today's leg will cover about 300 miles between Oklahoma and New Mexico. Should give me time to get a good feel for my new toy!

I tried to find the original post to give the author credit but can't find it now. At any rate, hope putting this in the title will help save someone time in the future.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #2

Great minds think alike. I received my VMSpc today. I didn't have any installation problems on my laptop running vista.

Has anyone loaded VMSpc on a Netbook with Windows 7 Starter Edition? I want to run VMSpc and MS Streets and Trips at the same time. That's only two apps, so it should work under Win 7 Starter's limitation of 3 apps. I also want to make sure there's no conflicts using two USB ports at the same time: one for the VMS JIB and one for the GPS receiver.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Gil... you'll love your new toy. I haven't had much chance to play yet because we've been covering >300 miles per day getting from Minnesota to Arizona since I installed it. Just this evening I was able to get the cables routed for a finished installation but still haven't gotten my head into the screens, options, etc.

However, although I can't help you with the Vista question, I do know that it runs fine on my HP Netbook (XP) with Streets & Trips with the GPS Receiver.

Good luck and keep us posted...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote