Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2004, 01:07 PM   #15

Stew,
Since this was my first Class A, I thought that Motorhomes were supposed to drive like mine. It wasn't until Driver did his first post on the rear track bar, early last year, that I even new that I had a problem. So by the time I was attacking the problem, I had my coach 8 months. I now am very educated on the problems, thanks again to Driver, that I have become a sort of expert on this problem and how to solve it. If I knew then what I know now, I would have demanded the coach be fixed or picked another coach.

This will never happen to me again, I have no one to blame but myself, and I now try to help other people to solve the same problem on their coaches. The one thing I have discovered, at least on the Workhorse chassis and if it has handling problems, is to first and foremost change the shocks. Then go after the other suspension parts if the problem is not resolved with the shock replacement.

cad_man

2003 Newmar Kountry Star KSCA3301
Workhorse W22, Vortec 8.1L, Allison 5 Speed
Koni Shocks, Super Steer Track Bar, Davis TruTrack, Safe-T-Plus
FMCA 322927
KG6JIY

CAD-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2004, 03:36 PM   #16
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cad_man:
I would wager even with the forces the Safe-T-Plus creates the affect on the axle without a track bar would barely be measurable.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>In my discussions with Winnebago representatives today at the Supershow it is my understanding that they don't see the Safe-T-Plus as a stand alone solution for front end stability. It may in fact introduce unwanted forces on the front springs that the driver may not appreciate. If the STP is in fact installed solely for blow-out safety measures one may be hoping for a disaster in order to justify the cost of the device.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I think what sccaracer (Chuck) was saying, that the Safe-T-Plus, not the Davis track bar would be better if used in combination with the track bar.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm not too sure what you're saying here so I'll ask for a slight follow-up. The Davis is a track bar. What I think that you're saying is that the Davis would cancel out any unwanted effects from the STP, and I agree with that for sure.

I also had the very fortunate opportunity to meet in person Mr. Robert Henderson from Grants Pass, Or. So many questions, so little time.

<font color=blue>03 Winnebago 38G/Workhorse W22 " 22.5" Tire " Adventurer
02 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS
Aventa II " Brake Buddy
Nor'Easters
"We Will " 343 " Never Forget"</font color>

<font color=red>88 " Robert Yates Racing " 38
</font color>

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 03:43 PM   #17
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cad_man:
... not open on the weekends and is very slow to get work done. I have not been back to the dealer since the first service call (almost a year)...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>cad_man if you're having problems getting your motorhome automotive components fixed in a manner that satisfies you, that can be addressed by the very highest levels from the national Workhorse service department. WCC needs for its dealers to repair customer complaints is as quick and efficient a manner as possible or else.

You can take that to the bank.

<font color=blue>03 Winnebago 38G/Workhorse W22 " 22.5" Tire " Adventurer
02 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS
Aventa II " Brake Buddy
Nor'Easters
"We Will " 343 " Never Forget"</font color>

<font color=red>88 " Robert Yates Racing " 38
</font color>
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 04:45 PM   #18

Clarification:
If you are installing a steering stabilizer to the front suspension, you should also install a front track bar to coaches with front leaf springs. However, if you are only going to install one device on the front suspension, the track bar is the one to install.

A year or so ago I was investigating the Mohr-Ride conversion on a Ford chassis that they claimed would soften the ride. They would only install the conversion in combination with the Davis Tru-Trac because of the problem with "shifting springs". I think the major reason to add the steering stabilizer is for handling the remote possibility of a front blow-out.
I have driven almost 200,000 motor home miles and have yet to experience a blow-out! Now that I have said that, I will probably be rewarded with that experience!

Chuck Sample
2003 Pace Arrow 37A
Work Horse W22 22.5 wheels
Old 01-15-2004, 07:47 PM   #19

Driver, in reference to the Davis Tru-track and the Safe-T-Plus, what you said was what I was trying to say. I have been up since 4AM and the brain was not functioning on all cylinders.

As far as Workhorse and the local dealer, I am so tired of dealing with car and truck and RV dealers, I just stay away from them. If I have anymore trouble with this dealer I will contact Workhorse. My last complaint was $39.00 for an oil change on and 8.1l 2500hd and $99.00 for an oil change on the same engine in my motorhome. The excuse is it's a motorhome and it's harder to work on. But he did not know I saw the full size outdoor lift for motorhomes behind the dealer. All you do is put it on the lift and drain the oil. It's actually easer then on the 2500hd. The cost of automobile service has gone through the roof here and the techs and service writers could care less about the quality of the service.

To give you an example, I took my RV in for warranty work on Dec 22, the dealer called me on Dec 23 to tell me they would start working on it. I did not receive a call all the way through Jan 9th, when I called them and see if they forgot about me they said they indeed had forgotten about me and didn't understand why I was mad, and to top it off the work was still not finished. Now it's the night of the 15th and it's still not complete, or is it, they forgot to call me today as they promised. They do not understand what customer service is. I had the same problem with the VW dealer where I bought my car, 6 days no calls, I end up calling them, and so it's not just the RV dealers.

OK, I will stop now before my blood pressure goes off the scale.

cad_man

2003 Newmar Kountry Star KSCA3301
Workhorse W22, Vortec 8.1L, Allison 5 Speed
Koni Shocks, Super Steer Track Bar, Davis TruTrack, Safe-T-Plus
FMCA 322927
KG6JIY

CAD-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:18 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just put a Henderson SuperSteer Rear Trac Bar on our '05 Itasca last weekend. Haven't had an opportunity to check it out on the road yet but install was not too tough of a job. Hardest part was removing and reinstalling the "bounce cushion". The top two bolts weren't the easiest to get to. But wife being a real trooper helped and we got it done. Already have good shocks so will see how it rides soon.
Easyrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:07 PM   #21

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
For those of you that have the resources you can build a rear trac bar for about $70. That's what I did. For more info see my RV Tips in my sugnature.