Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2014, 09:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
Well i thought the same, for about one attempt. Works well untill you need to communicate and then your hosed. It seems everytime we back in i have some issue with her signals, voice commands or something i don't like. Cell phones all the way for us too.
With the exception of her calling for a "STOP" there has only been one time in 5+ years that I had to get out and talk to her. The problem was there was a misunderstanding of the plan before we started backing up. Therefore we have done all of the communication while we walk the site and then she is just a marshall to make sure that the coach doesn't get damaged and the wheels are going to end up where we agreed before we started. Therefore the communication only needs to be one-way. It works for us, YMMV.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2014, 09:57 AM   #16
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
We prefer the dual-duplex Tech-link headsets we bought almost 10 years ago. No buttons to push, both can transmit and receive at the same time so no delays, and as long as we have spare batteries we always have a signal! The best part is that we can quietly and calmly carry on a normal conversation and easily get the job done while politely ignoring any "helpful" campground host.
Cool. I found a source still selling them. See the picture .

Oops - says out of stock.

Here is a link to one on EBay - auction ends in next 3 days.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tech-Link-tw...13d2ef&vxp=mtr
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1240528961.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	580.6 KB
ID:	55490  
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:22 AM   #17
OWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
We prefer the dual-duplex Tech-link headsets we bought almost 10 years ago. No buttons to push, both can transmit and receive at the same time so no delays, and as long as we have spare batteries we always have a signal! The best part is that we can quietly and calmly carry on a normal conversation and easily get the job done while politely ignoring any "helpful" campground host.
Are these stand alone or do you need to use them in conjunction with either walkie talkies and/or a 2-way radio? If yes, what do you use them with?

Thank you. and regards,

OWV, Our Wandering View
Entegra Anthem 44B
OWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #18

We lived aboard a boat 5 years and learned of the "marriage saver" headsets. Work very well and affordable.

https://cruisingsolutions.com/produc...aver-headsets/
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:33 AM   #19
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWV View Post
Are these stand alone or do you need to use them in conjunction with either walkie talkies and/or a 2-way radio? If yes, what do you use them with? Thank you. and regards, OWV, Our Wandering View Entegra Anthem 44B
See my post with a picture and link to EBay where you can buy one pair.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:41 AM   #20

New Horizons Owners Club
We have been using the little hand radios from Walmart that sell to about $10. Works fine for us.
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:27 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Usually you only need one-way communications and for that many radios and such work, Cell phones are NOT the best option (Will explain why).

FRS radios from your choice of provider, Some have either VOX or an optional VOX headset (I have one here that is a single channel (This has an advantage) programmable (you pick the channel by DIP swith) takes a Icom/Yesau headset so you can get those with and without VOX.

This unit (Got it at Radio Shack long time ago) is great, BUT, there is a trade off.
The program the channel with the batteries out of it (Dip switches are under the batteries) means I can't acccidently change channel.

However, it does not have provisions for recharging the batteries.
Many of the hand helds have that, some have CTCSS as well (Continous Tone Controlled Squelch Systems) this means you are not bothered by others on channel..

They are cheap, limited range (more than the size of a campsite. but be careful. only chan's 1-14 are FRS, if your radio has 22 channels then for 15-22 you need a license 80 bucks for 10 years, application should be in the box or you can do it at Home | FCC.gov.

CB is good too.. Again you want one where it's not easy to accidentally change channels. What's more you often already have a CB in the cockpit to let you know about things like the fatal accidents closing the freeway just past the exit I was fast approaching.. Man was I glad I had that CB on,, saved me hours of traffic jam.

Cell phones are good.. ONLY IF THEY WORK WHERE YOU ARE TRYING TO PARK.. I have had places I parked where that was NOT the case.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:35 PM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OWV View Post
Are these stand alone or do you need to use them in conjunction with either walkie talkies and/or a 2-way radio?
They are stand-alone ...all you need are the two headsets.
AFChap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:12 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
My rearview camera has a built in microphone. When we are ready to maneuver I turn the volume on, she talks, I listen, easy peasy.
This works for us as well. Personally, I think she likes this method only because she can tell me what to do without any of my 'feedback'.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:17 PM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
If you each have a cell phone you can talk to each other while backing and the driver can be on bluetooth for hands free driving.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:08 AM   #25
OWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Usually you only need one-way communications and for that many radios and such work, Cell phones are NOT the best option (Will explain why).

FRS radios from your choice of provider, Some have either VOX or an optional VOX headset (I have one here that is a single channel (This has an advantage) programmable (you pick the channel by DIP swith) takes a Icom/Yesau headset so you can get those with and without VOX.

This unit (Got it at Radio Shack long time ago) is great, BUT, there is a trade off.
The program the channel with the batteries out of it (Dip switches are under the batteries) means I can't acccidently change channel.

However, it does not have provisions for recharging the batteries.
Many of the hand helds have that, some have CTCSS as well (Continous Tone Controlled Squelch Systems) this means you are not bothered by others on channel..

They are cheap, limited range (more than the size of a campsite. but be careful. only chan's 1-14 are FRS, if your radio has 22 channels then for 15-22 you need a license 80 bucks for 10 years, application should be in the box or you can do it at Home | FCC.gov.

CB is good too.. Again you want one where it's not easy to accidentally change channels. What's more you often already have a CB in the cockpit to let you know about things like the fatal accidents closing the freeway just past the exit I was fast approaching.. Man was I glad I had that CB on,, saved me hours of traffic jam.

Cell phones are good.. ONLY IF THEY WORK WHERE YOU ARE TRYING TO PARK.. I have had places I parked where that was NOT the case.
Thank you. Very helpful. Appreciate you taking the time to write it all down.

Regards,
OWV, Our Wandering View
Entegra Anthem 44B
OWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:58 PM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
We use the walkie talkie system also. The only thing different from what i have read above is that DW does the driving. I instruct her by telling her which way to turn the steering wheel and by how much as well whether to move forward or back. Also I know if there is an overhead or other side issue that may have been missed. This works for us and we end up where I think is best.
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:18 PM   #27

We tried using cellphones. The problem is dropped calls when we're in an area with poor reception.

We ended up buying a Cobra Handheld Cb radio. I already had a Cobra in the cockpit. Works like a charm.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:39 PM   #28

The two-ways work well for us. Rarely do I have to stop and push-to-talk as the DW does fine. Also we like rural areas that sometimes have no cell service and use the radios if separated. For instance: on a long walk with the dog.

Tags
radio