Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2010, 03:54 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wall Mirror Replacement/Installation

Hello All,

Would like to replace the paneling (1/8" thick) with a full mirror on the rear wall of the kitchen area. When the slide is closed it covers this wall. My question is how thick should the mirror be? Has anyone replaced a mirror this size in their coach? It measures approximately 36" X 80" (at its tallest point). Are there reasons I should not do this?

Dave
03 Eagle 42F
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Well first consider the weight of the mirror. That may change your mind. I have a mirror on my rear wall in the living area, but it is only above the counter top. It is glued to paneling. You should talk to the mirror supplier about what type glue to use as some may damage the back side of the mirror itself. Don't think you need to remove the paneling as there is likely nothing behind it to attach the mirror to.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:12 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I agree with Rex about not removing the paneling. The manufactures of coaches just use double sided stick tape for most all mirror installations straight onto the wallboard. Be sure to clean the surface; denature alcohol is good. Also most mirrors I have seen are only 1/8" thick. You could have a glass company provide this for you and you may even want to consider a beveled edge mirror.
Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:06 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the input.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:41 AM   #5

I had to replace a mirror on a similar wall after a rough towing caused the original to crack. Mine was attached with double stick tape and a frame tacked to the wall paneling. I was fortunate to find an exact size replacement (probably 24 x 30 or 36) at Home Depot or Lowes, while upgrading to a bevel edge for a little better look. The original had a backing to insure breakage did not result in loose shards, so I covered the back of the new mirror with a sticky paper/plastic similar to shelf paper, but more sticky. I then applied the double stick tape in 3-4 vertical rows before attaching to the wall and resecuring the original frame. It's been there for several years without falling.