Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2016, 04:49 PM   #1

Thumbs up Wallpaper changeout?

Has anyone else out there changed out there installed home wall paper in their rv?
I am looking into that option rather than painting I don't really like the painted look.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2016, 07:18 AM   #2

Wallpaper is the devil. I bought an older TT with a poor wallpaper job. I thought no problem just change it. Nope never again, its a night mare.

jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
Wallpaper is the devil. I bought an older TT with a poor wallpaper job. I thought no problem just change it. Nope never again, its a night mare.

That depends.

I was remodeling 1991 Bounder last summer, and part of this was replacing wallpaper. RESIDENTIAL WALLPAPER DOESN'T WORK! (shouting here)

My wife is a self proclaimed expert in wallpapering. So we purchased six rolls of paper, tools, sponges, soaking containers......everything one would need to hang wallpaper. Started in the Bounder's bedroom. We worked all day. There was glue everywhere. It looked beautiful when finished.

FORTUNATELY,.....few days went by before we were ready to start on the rest of the coach. In couple of days wrinkles (bubbles) started, seams pulling apart.....NIGHTMARE. Poor girl was going in there with syringes, glues (different kinds), pokers, rollers......and the nightmare continued. Bedroom ended looking up like hell.

So I started researching the web, and found out that there is a website that sells "peel and stick" type of wallpaper (not cheap mind you!), with LIMITED choices of patterns, but luckily they had something that VERY closely matched what we originally wanted (and screwed up in the bedroom). Peel and stick roles are BIG (about $150 per roll with shipping), and one roll did the whole rest of the bounder. Stuff is a breeze to work with, easy to apply, seams are virtually invisible, and there is NO mess.

Ended up ordering another roll, and stripped the bedroom AGAIN! Came out absolutely gorgeous, and with crapload of wallpaper left over. $300 well spent.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:50 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
we were told you must prime the walls first
Old 02-18-2016, 09:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom View Post
we were told you must prime the walls first
Yup,......washed with TSP, and primed. It didn't work. "Peel and stick" worked great.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:47 AM   #6

I must have been very lucky. I added some vinyl wallpaper to the dinette area of my (previous) 1984 Beaver. Cleaned the walls with TSP and used the appropriate glue. Looked perfect and held up for several years (was still fine when I sold it).
GBLandau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:05 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It's been a number of years, but I successfully hung new wallpaper over the OEM vinyl paper. I used paste specifically made for papering over vinyl (commonly used, at least 20 years ago, for putting up wallpaper "borders" )
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:08 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielsand View Post
So I started researching the web, and found out that there is a website that sells "peel and stick" type of wallpaper (not cheap mind you!), with LIMITED choices of patterns.......
Hello,

I have some wallpaper work to do this coming Spring........I was going to get pre-glued residential.......but now after reading this, I would like to do it once and be over with it!!

So.......would you share the web site you bought your paper from or PM it to me if you do not want to post it publicly.

Thanks in advance,

Glenn
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
Hello,

I have some wallpaper work to do this coming Spring........I was going to get pre-glued residential.......but now after reading this, I would like to do it once and be over with it!!

So.......would you share the web site you bought your paper from or PM it to me if you do not want to post it publicly.

Thanks in advance,

Glenn
No problem posting publicly. At first we tried the same thing as you thought about,.....pre-glued residential. Did everything according to instructions. It was a disaster!

I am not in any way affiliated with this outfit, but I was VERY pleased with their service, and product. I'm including the link for the EXACT paper I purchased, and they have many patterns. We wanted something neutral, and textured. This came out absolutely great (seams/ edges were better than what was the original Bounder "workmanship"). No tearing, no bubbles, no air to push out, and the best,......no drying time!) Have no fear, and good luck.

BU501 - Wall Paper | Tempaper Textured | StevesWallpaper.com
Old 02-28-2016, 02:17 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Can you put this product over the existing wallpaper or do you have to strip the old wallpaper off first?

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:05 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wallpaper changeout?

Many years ago in a house with paneling that was a fake, slick vey smooth wood "look", my parents installed wallpaper. Most fell off in a few days. They then talked to someone about options and found that oil based primer and paint first made all the difference.

Aside: these folks may have "RV grade" wall paper if so desired. I've found many interesting items at their store (live nearby; they ship). http://www.affordablerving.com
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
Can you put this product over the existing wallpaper or do you have to strip the old wallpaper off first?
It went right over the old paper, after it was wiped down with TSP, and dried. I was also changing light fixtures, and moving them to different locations. Filled the old holes with putty, when dried I hit them lightly with the sander, and you can't see them through the new paper. This stuff STICKS! It can also be re-positioned if the mistake was made. VERY, very easy to work with. To trim around the windows and such, I used the carpet knife (blade is rounded at the edges). "Box cutter" type of blade (or "Exacto" knife) doesn't work good with pointed blade (tends to "pull" the material before it actually cuts it). Sharp carpet blade works perfect.
Precut the material roughly in the shape you need (leaving about 1/4" or more over the window/door/cabinet edges), peel the backing on the top first (4-5" from the top), and "hang" the top. Use plastic spatula to smooth it out, and peel the backing as you go down to the floor. Once the whole piece is in place, use METAL spatula (or similar), against the edge of the door/window/cabinet frame, and trim it........VOILA! You need metal spatula as the guide for the blade to follow. If you "freehand" with the blade resting against aluminum window frame (or wood cabinet/trim/etc), the blade WILL try to "climb" on the aluminum (black) window frame, and leave shiny scratch/cut. It will also try to cut into the wood if you are trimming against the wood.

Once the pieces are precut, leave them laying flat on the floor (ambient temp of 70F+), before you start hanging them (material needs to "rest" to uncoil itself for few minutes). Material can be stretched to the point, but you want it to hang as freely as possible, with minimal stretching.

Depending on the pattern you pick (I picked mine linked above with that in mind), if you make ANY mistakes (overlapping seams, wrong cut, seaming horizontally, etc), you will never be able to see them after the job is done.

The "technique" outlined above, is the same as working with large stickers, and/or large graphics.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:29 PM   #13

Wallpaper

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!! That is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you for the product info and the installation helpful hints. I can't wait to get started! Sharon
Old 05-28-2016, 08:54 PM   #14

I am joining this discussion late while sitting in my rv looking at the drab walls. This peel and stick wallpaper looks like a viable option. How does one handle the existing seams that are covered with a strip of something and the trim pieces in the corners. Simply covering them with the new wallpaper seem amateurish. Granted am not a pro but want to appear like i have some skill. What have others done?