Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #1

wallpaper question

I was curious as to how easy is the wallpaper to remove in the motor home? Is it similar to as in your house? Also, does it go back up the same way you put it in your house? Is there a special wallpaper they use for Motor Homes?

Thinking about taking ours off and putting up something with a little more color to it. Motor Home not that old and wallpaper is fine it's just kind of boring. Just got done pulling the carpet and replacing with a nice dark wood floor and recovered the dinette in tan leather to match the couch. So floors and furniture are gorgeous now. Now we want to hit the walls and the trim around windows with some more rich new color.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #2

We tried to remove wallpaper and had some success but short of steaming it off we used contact paper and contact glue.It worked good but getting out all the rinkles is hard to do.Its a painin the a-s.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaker
I was curious as to how easy is the wallpaper to remove in the motor home? Is it similar to as in your house? Also, does it go back up the same way you put it in your house? Is there a special wallpaper they use for Motor Homes?

Thinking about taking ours off and putting up something with a little more color to it. Motor Home not that old and wallpaper is fine it's just kind of boring. Just got done pulling the carpet and replacing with a nice dark wood floor and recovered the dinette in tan leather to match the couch. So floors and furniture are gorgeous now. Now we want to hit the walls and the trim around windows with some more rich new color.

Thanks
In most RVs it is a printed vinyl that is glued and laminated to luan sheets.
I don't have any suggestions on removing it but probably would not try.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I wouldn't try it as cgarv said above and for the same reason.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Try painting one wall with a good Latex paint and see what you think? May even try one of those special rollers for a design or pattern look. Good Luck....
MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #6

They are correct, the factory wall covering is a vinyl laminated to the wall board, removing it will leave you with a huge mess and you just don't want to go there.
Painting with a good acrylic vinyl and a textured roller is an option.

One of our previous RV's I re-papered with some nice modern vinyl wallpaper.
I prepped the walls by cleaning with some sugar soap, then I sealed the walls with a good all purpose sealer from the decorating store.
Then I hung the paper in the usual manor.

The end result looked great, but in small environment like that you have to be really fussy with finish and endure its all lined up and straight.
I marked straight lines using a plumb bob before I started and worked from the far corners in.
Its best to use a paper that is mostly plain or has a patter that is to to busy or loud
Good luck.
Rusty
honkytonkinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #7

Great info guys, appreciated. Luckily the wallpaper looks fine and is in great shape. I will leave well enough alone. Maybe I'll just change out all the window coverings (whatever you call them) that go around all the windows to bring in a color change to blend well with the new floor.

Thanks again