Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2010, 09:50 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
The DW and I are going to do this for the first time in a couple of weeks in Great Falls, MT. We have a campsite booked the following night in Idaho, but decided to head on our vacation a day early just for the the DW to shop....so I told her we're "campin at Wally Mart". I'm not going to set up BBQ or the awning or anything outside...but the slides must come out.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2010, 09:06 AM   #30

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Wal-Mart is always our first stop on a trip. We pull in restock the MH for the trip and spend the night. We like doing it this way instead of buying stuff for the trip, bringing it home and then having to move it to the MH. I find an out of the way spot so I can extend my slides and put down my jacks (provided it will not hurt the asphalt). Wife goes in and forages for food. Then a leisurely dinner with breakfast in the morning and back on the road. Plus all the comforts of home. Repeat till we get to our destination. We can easily go for five days with out the need for holding tank services so why hassle with reservations and camp grounds for things we do not need.

mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMXDave View Post
The DW and I are going to do this for the first time in a couple of weeks in Great Falls, MT. We have a campsite booked the following night in Idaho, but decided to head on our vacation a day early just for the the DW to shop....so I told her we're "campin at Wally Mart". I'm not going to set up BBQ or the awning or anything outside...but the slides must come out.
A more convenient place in Great Falls is the Flying J... just off I15 with about 6 RV spots in front.

Eh!
Old 06-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed S View Post
...I think all rv'ers should call for the manager when in the store... and thank them so they know how we support them for allowing us to park for the night...
We always stop back in and thank the manger for allowing us to stay overnight. And we would set up our little gas tabletop grill (the one we bought from Wal-Mart) outside if we needed to (mmmm, hamburgers!). We do sit outside in our chairs (I bought those from Big Lots!). Part of the reason we do that is because I tend to travel without the AC running (saving generator fuel and our current generator is barely able to keep up with the REF/FZR/AC unit all running at the same time). We don't like to hole up in the RV. Also we like folks to know we are there and not off wandering around because our food cart does not lock (and it would be silly if it did since it's enclosed with fiberglass screening) and someone is always stopping to ask questions either about the cart, which we always answer, or trying to order food from us ( "We are traveling and we are not set up to sell right now"). We also pack our stuff back up too (the grill as soon as it cools off enough and the chairs get put inside when we do walk into the store). Basically we follow the "leave no trace" concept when wallydocking (just like everywhere else). I wouldn't put slides out if we had them because I think some idiot would run into them. We don't open the awning because it's more hassle than it's worth. We would stay more than one night if we needed to. IE: While we were in Rockport TX, some folks had to stay in the Wal-Mart parking lot almost a week while their reserved Rv spot dried out to where they could park in it. It seems to be a common enough thing and Wal-Mart was fine about it since it happened fairly often (we've asked to stay overnight in other Wal-Marts where the manager said we could stay a couple days if we wanted to). I think if we all operate "low key" and try not to draw attention to ourselves (kinda hard when you take up so much space), it really isn't a problem. We still like to park in Sam's clubs better, we can get free coffee in the AM (opens early for Business card members and they often put out complimentary coffee and cookies/muffins and/or danishes).

BTW, We were asked not to run our generator in the parking lot at night in New Braunfels TX as the residents next to the Wal-Mart always complained about the noise. Otherwise we would have had to move closer to the other side of the parking lot (towards the interstate). Apparently the screaming fight some man & woman were having in the parking lot (12:30AM to 5:30 AM) didn't bother them at all (she kept walking over towards our RV , shaking her fist and yelling "You b*****! You come out here! I'm gonna whip your a$$! I know you're in there!") A phone call into the night manager produced no results. Next time I will just call the police 911. That was the first time ever we had a problem like that. They were "sleeping" in their car. Would we do it again... yes... we had to put up with the fighting thing in motels too... maybe it was the same people? At least we didn't have the crying baby next to us. Next time, and there will be a next time, we will not park in the "No Truck Parking" lanes... only the two rows closest to the residential section/fence is designated no truck parking. There is no night security patrolling the parking lot, nor did I see any cops at night.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #33

First of all, I LOVE Walmart threads. They're so entertaining with all the 'abuse' sightings, which I have never seen, even after staying in at least one Walmart parking lot in most states. Never saw anyone 'camping' with bbq, awning out, lawn chairs, etc. Maybe I just pick the higher class WM's.

We recently were spending the night at a Walmart in Corpus Christi. I was outside repairing the A/C fuse holder on my toad (after buying parts from WM). It was very windy and all sorts of trash, Walmart flyers, food wrappers, and an occasional water bottle blew by me on the way to the fence along the parking lot. The fence was slowly being covered by the trash. The DW was inside the mh. After completing repairs, I went inside to wash up. My wife told we what happened. She was watching a Walmart employee collecting stray carts and when he came to one with the aforementioned stuff still in the basket, he would simply take it out and let the wind take care of it. This was the trash that was blowing by me.
She had called the manager to inform her of what was going on and to let her know it was NOT the campers in the lot trashing the place. Shortly thereafter she saw a woman approch the employee and chew him out.
zigzagrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeksrus View Post
A more convenient place in Great Falls is the Flying J... just off I15 with about 6 RV spots in front.

Eh!
Thanks! We will check that out.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:32 PM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
Absolutely - always good for a few facts, LOTS of fiction, and a fair number of laughs!
Right on never miss one if I can help it

Quote:
Just not good threads for the thin-skinned or politically correct!
But Gary, if they didn't join in there wouldn't be anything to discuss, two or three posts at the most for each WM thread. BTW don't forget the trolls five or six pages to each thread, they're the ones who keep it going

Cheers
Willey
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #36

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The wife has a "going problem". Literally! So after availing herself of the facilities wherever we stop she always feels obligated to at least purchase the slightest thing.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:38 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Hi All,
I was Heading from Louisiana to Missouri on I55 and I decided to stop for the night at the Walmart at 6811 Southcrest Pkwy in Southaven, Mississippi just south of Memphis. As I drove into the lot I noticed “NO TRUCKS” signs on the light poles. I've seen this before where trucks were prohibited from parking but not RV's. I called the manager to ask permission to stay the night and was told they discontinued the privilege about a month ago because of “abusing the privilege”. I didn't press her as to who did the abusing but the no parking rule now in force applies to RV's and trucks. In fairness to walmart, the lot is on the small side for an area so busy and a couple of eighteen wheelers taking up 10 parking spots the way they park and throw in a couple of RV's would cause some congestion. There happened to be a Lowes across the street and a call to that manager and he gave his permission.
You have to love and appreciate our freedom of speech and expression in America. The original poster discussed one Wally campground and the we all jump in with why's, if's, when's, where's etc. The stories have been entertaining and fun and even though we've only spent the one night in a Omaha wally ground last year and it did cost well over $50 it was worth it until the next morning when I realized we were almost next door to the college world series game and traffic was terrible.

Now top that...you pull in to a wally ground late at night to catch a few zzzzzz's and realize the next morning, "hey, we can go to the college world series".