Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2010, 08:12 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Walmart Another "NO PARKING!"

Hi All,
I was Heading from Louisiana to Missouri on I55 and I decided to stop for the night at the Walmart at 6811 Southcrest Pkwy in Southaven, Mississippi just south of Memphis. As I drove into the lot I noticed “NO TRUCKS” signs on the light poles. I've seen this before where trucks were prohibited from parking but not RV's. I called the manager to ask permission to stay the night and was told they discontinued the privilege about a month ago because of “abusing the privilege”. I didn't press her as to who did the abusing but the no parking rule now in force applies to RV's and trucks. In fairness to walmart, the lot is on the small side for an area so busy and a couple of eighteen wheelers taking up 10 parking spots the way they park and throw in a couple of RV's would cause some congestion. There happened to be a Lowes across the street and a call to that manager and he gave his permission.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2010, 08:50 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What is more interesting is that Wall-Mart, Lowe's and Sam's Club...

All Sam Walton companies.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:33 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Hi All,
I was Heading from Louisiana to Missouri on I55 and I decided to stop for the night at the Walmart at 6811 Southcrest Pkwy in Southaven, Mississippi just south of Memphis. As I drove into the lot I noticed “NO TRUCKS” signs on the light poles. I've seen this before where trucks were prohibited from parking but not RV's. I called the manager to ask permission to stay the night and was told they discontinued the privilege about a month ago because of “abusing the privilege”. I didn't press her as to who did the abusing but the no parking rule now in force applies to RV's and trucks. In fairness to walmart, the lot is on the small side for an area so busy and a couple of eighteen wheelers taking up 10 parking spots the way they park and throw in a couple of RV's would cause some congestion. There happened to be a Lowes across the street and a call to that manager and he gave his permission.
check this website and please update it with your information.

Walmart Store Locations Map - Wal-Mart Guide

thank you.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:18 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I know there are plenty of Walmarts that won't let a Semi park on there lots, room to park or not, its the weight issue, semis can weight up to 40 tons and in some states they can weight more. yet there are Walmarts that do let semis park on there lots, but never seen a sign saying no RV parking, Wally here in my area (Portage, Wi) dosn't have a problem with boondocking or semis in there lot,,,, yet
as Dan L mention need to keep an update on the web site that he has pass on to us.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:43 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
we boon dock at Wall Mart sometimes when we travel. We always ask management if we can park and we always stay as far away from the store is possible and we NEVER PUT ANYTHING ON THE GROUND....NOTHING... EVER... not gray water or trash. We even pick up the ''dog poop''. Our average cost of the ''free parking'' is usually fifty to seventy five dollars unless something is ''on sale'' that Willa just ''cant live without''and then it goes up from there. Some towns and cities have ordinances against over nighting and we respect this. We have spent many nights in rest areas on the side of the super slab listening to the truck go whizzing by.
Seajay the sailor man.....
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:18 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
My local WalMart in Clinton, NJ does not allow overnight parking because they do not own the land only lease it from a company that owns the whole shopping center. When they first put up No RV Overnight parking signs a few years ago, I asked the manager why and he said the landlord does not want the overnight parking for 'insurance reasons'.

PS - the information is correctly stated on the website Dan mentions above. However the info for Amarillo, TX Walmart 822 is not correct. Although there are some height restriction barriers at the main entrances, you can get your rig in by using a 'secret' entrance between the Cash America store and Whataburger. I was there in April and guard had no trouble with us spending the night.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:41 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Several Walmarts are on leased land so they cannot give "permission". We ran into that in Penn. We stayed anyway with about 5 other rvs and 6 strucks.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:55 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
News to me, when did Lowes become a part of Wal--Mart
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:56 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wallmart has different size stores.. There is a "Neighborhood Wall Mart" usually these stores have smaller parking lots, limited hours, and no overnight parking.

Also, Wall Mart, Sam's And Lowes... all Sam Walton companies. All Related.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Also, Wall Mart, Sam's And Lowes... all Sam Walton companies. All Related.
Could you elaborate on this a bit? Sam Walton sure didn't start Lowe's and the last time I looked the Walton's didn't own Lowe's so I was wondering what I missed and when when this happened.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:35 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
...And Lowes... all Sam Walton companies. All Related.
Incorrect. See this page for major holders.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:44 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
For those traveling that Southaven, Ms area there is a nice RV park there that is less than 30 bucks a night.

Southaven RV Park
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:05 PM   #13

lowes ?

they are a local company to us . . . out of north wilkesboro
wlihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:16 PM   #14

I've always felt that the "Walmart RVer's society" issue would eventually take care of itself, largely due to over-use and abuse of common courtesy and decency of too many users.

The bad part of all that, is that with chains such as Walmart/Sams, Cracker Barrel and others, all it takes is the stroke of a pen at corporate headquarters to shut down ALL branches - and when/if THAT happens, not only will the abusers (rightly!) be affected - but all the rest of us as well...

Are the RVers providing enough added revenue to offset their downside as far as Walmart is concerned? Apparently not everywhere - and how many MORE individual outlets will decide the same thing at their local level, before headquarters decides to make it universal?
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote