Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2014, 01:58 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am a whole lot more concerned about the people that don't know how to drive them, than the ones who can't fix them. How about some suggestions along that line. I have to agree with the folks who indicated that almost all of the comments are true about everything we buy. Can't fix em, can't afford em, applies to sticks and bricks = way upside down = foreclosures.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2014, 02:18 PM   #16

I am not sure if that is a troll post or venting when the poster could have just bought a park model and complained about quality and defects in new home units?

I have had one form or another coach since 1976 and I have learned a lot but no way do I know it all. Then they make systems more automatic and think they are windows 8 and I KNOW more of what you want then you do so I will do it too you.

If you want simple drive a MODEL T or live in a log cabin.

Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:05 PM   #17

A good perk of being mechanically inclined is knowing when it is a good value to have repair work performed by someone else rather than yourself. For instance, I recently paid $300 to have a new hydraulic hose installed for a slide. I could have done it myself but it was an emergency repair on Christmas Eve so was happy to pay that amount for the job quickly done. Just because you can do something doesn't mean it's always best to do it yourself.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
I wouldn't say BS, but I do find it very negative and totally lacking of any redeeming feature associated with the RV life....so let me think:

- The last cruise I went on, nearly 500 people got sea sick or the flu. The cruise line didn't refund their money.
- What's the latest problem with hotels in vacation spots, besides the staff that'll steal if you leave it pout in your room...oh yeah...bed bugs. And you pay $120 to 750 a night.
- When you eat out at that popular tourist place, your credit card gets copied and you get a surprise $350 charge from Amazon for a back massager.
- You arrive for your flight to Florida and find that your reserved and confirmed seat was already given to someone else...double booked...then you get to argue with the airline over the $150 coupon for your next trip...oh yeah, plus a $10 meal voucher. meantime you lost part of your vacation.

I could go on and on. I love the life style. I don't own a condominium w/ owners fee and I go where I want. My home isn't upside down in Ft. Myers FL with no hope of ever getting out from under it w/o claiming bankruptcy.

And I own one of the best coaches made in the mid-tier price range, supported by on the spot customer service when I need it and a two year warrantee. The coach company is family owned and the owners and the head of customer service act more like my grandparents than a get rich quick corporation. Just sayin' and and JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:49 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiedoke View Post
A good perk of being mechanically inclined is knowing when it is a good value to have repair work performed by someone else rather than yourself.
That's called Wisdom!
Old 02-02-2014, 06:44 AM   #20

Hrm.... I dunno if the same logic can be applied to motorhoming over the decades in general. I am a firm believer in the KISS methodology in just about anything I get involved in. In my opinion the majority of problems occur with the complex systems by automating so many processes in these RVs.

A perfect example is the automation of leveling. What a simple, easy idea, now with today's technology and "dumbed down" operating process, causing far too many problems. I still prefer the old, tried, proven and tested HWH 200 series or even earlier (not kickdown style jacks though) with joysticks. No muss. No Fuss. If it fails it's either the operating valve or the electric motor. In either case, a 20 minute fix.

Another good example of too much techojunk is EMS systems. Way too many problems with automating this. Just go back to the old ways with wiring the 2nd A/C so it can't be run on 30 amp service OR continue with the tried and proven 2-way switch to toggle between them.

Engine and Transmission ECM/PCMs. Unfortunately when issues occur you need software on your laptop to be able to troubleshoot anything. I still prefer the days of non-computer controlled powerplants. I love my 8.3C mechanical, it starts, it runs. If it doesn't troubleshooting is almost as easy as the 70s era gasoline engines. Very basic. No limp modes. No derating, no adding urine to keep it running, no sitting on the side of the road scratching your head wondering what happened with strange blinking red lights and warning buzzers. We can thank the EPA for complicating our lives :-)

Fancy toilets. Really? Yea. In the constant struggle to design different floor plans and/or add more basement space the manufacturers are getting creative with placing black tanks and plumbing in relation to the toilets in rather interesting layouts requiring odd toilets. What a simple idea - flushing the toilet - now left to electronic gods. Macerator type toilets that fail will ruin your trip quickly. Don't get me started on VacuFlush systems....arrrrgh. We see several of these weekly for repairs due to loss of vacuum somewhere and they're never fun to fix as they're always backed up and you're sure to become soaked in effluent while repairing them. I prefer having the black tank right underneath the porcelain princess, pushing the pedal and letting gravity do it's work. In either the macerator or vacuflush systems you have no way to bypass them - if they fail you are going to be using a porta-potty somewhere.

I could go on and on, and Im sure other members can chime in with more examples.. and let's not forget the inordinate amount of 12vdc electric motor failures in such a short period of time - we can blame this mostly on the sourcing of very very poor quality materials used in the imported motors. I realize it's due to cost.. but.. damn...

Ok Im done venting! Carry on! :-)
Old 02-02-2014, 09:52 AM   #21

I have to agree totally with the original post. DON'T buy a motorhome or for that matter a 5th wheel, a TT, popup, or a tent. Just stay home.....it gives me many more options as to where I want to go.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:22 AM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
I have to agree totally with the original post. DON'T buy a motorhome or for that matter a 5th wheel, a TT, popup, or a tent. Just stay home.....it gives me many more options as to where I want to go.
Shushhhhhhhhh
Old 02-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #23

Everyone is at a different state in their journey of RV ownership. Some start out paying to have their tire pressure checked, but eventually learn a lot about their systems, maintenance, and repairs. Others will continue to be the "turn the key and go" type as evidenced by posts asking questions that could be resolved by reading owners manuals or even just looking at the RV. Good luck to those who progress from the turnkey state . Remember, we are all subject to the "Innate perversity of inanimate objects". Or $*it happens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
I do anything within my ability and some that aren't but I try. I hate reading stories written by people that are in a position where they have to take it to a garage to have valve extensions installed. What if they leak? Do they have to be towed since most roadside assistance do not do work out side of the repair facility?

I'm not saying people shouldn't spend their money on what ever they want but if you buy a plane and never learn to fly.... Good luck with that!

Most people I run into are really talented, ingenious, and problem solvers. But, every now and then you meet those that don't even have a screw driver. I sort of feel bad for them. They're the type I'm trying to warn
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:56 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
That is why when I bought my last tt (2013) I ordered it without power awning, power stabilizer jacks, keyless entry and power tongue jack. I just figured that was just more thinks to fix if they failed down the road. I have a son who knows as soon as we un-hook he goes around and does the jacks, when the DW is inside doing her set-up stuff me and the kid do the awning.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Summer- Lake Diefenbaker, SK; winter- Westbay Marine Village, Victoria, BC
My current neighbour told me on day 1 that he was a do-it-yourself guy.

That night his entire 12 v system shut down. He had never checked his batteries for water. It's a 2008 model coach and I suspect the original owner had never checked them either, nor did the reselling dealer. Our local RV mechanic made a good buck the next day.
jim.smithjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:38 AM   #26
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would say Don of all your good intentions of a warning to newbies of what they may find is a motor home of problems and no clue as to where to start when problems happen.
We see it all the time on this forum not a question of what if, but what do I do now questions.
I have not seen it change in ten years here, the salesman can snow some people into the great easy RV lifestyle that's for sure.
For the most part most of us do enjoy the lifestyle even with the set backs that may arise.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:01 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim.smithjr View Post
My current neighbour told me on day 1 that he was a do-it-yourself guy.

That night his entire 12 v system shut down. He had never checked his batteries for water. It's a 2008 model coach and I suspect the original owner had never checked them either, nor did the reselling dealer. Our local RV mechanic made a good buck the next day.
Easy to over look! But once they dry out it's not long before they need to be replaced.

My coach batteries were full when I checked them during my PDI, I had to top them off about 6 months later.

If an owner thinks that these things just take care of them selves then they'll just need to pay to have the batteries replaced and suffer through the inconvenience of having to run off shore power or their generator.

I'll bet that he'll never let that happen again though.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:11 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
DG Shafer,

WEll I guess you must have a lot of problems with your Thor. I am on my 4th Winnebago and don't feel they way you do plus Winnebago makes most of their own parts excluding naturally the appliances, tv's, etc.

Building a Rv is a major task considering all the items in a small space. But let me ask you have you ever built your own home and didn't have a problem with the faucets dripping, the windows sticking or some other problem. Also what would happen it you decided to put 6 wheels under your house and drive it down the road.

I noticed you are not taking yoyr own advice about "not buying a motorhome" as you have one.

Another suggestion would be to hop in your RV and explore this great country of ours as each turn in the road is different from the first and stop giving out negative posts, life is too short........

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome