Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2014, 01:17 PM   #29

In 89 after being in tents and TCs for 25 years I bought my first MH. After owning it for 5 years I sold it. Added all the expense, price of RV parks, amount of time spent in the unit. Then also added up what the buy and sell price was. For that 5 years I could have stayed in the best of hotels during that 5 years. However, I'm still in an RV.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2014, 01:34 PM   #30

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I had my boat an employee said to me one day "I think I am going to get a boat like yours". I knew how much he made per month. I said, "OK let me tell you how you know you are ready for a boat; go to a gas station and lift the nozzle on the most expensive gas at the pump and run 300 gallons down the nearest drain, then go pay for it". "If that does not bother you then you are ready for a boat".

The OP dramatizes the issue, a lot of this is about what you can and are willing to afford. It is good advice "do not buy a motor home". But it applies to those who have no business having one but are tempted by what they see those of us that have one doing. They do not see the "far side of our moon".

We love our MH and I purposely do not add up the tally, it is irrelevant, unless you have placed yourself in a position you truly cannot afford to be in; then it is compelling and can spell trouble, and heart break.

It is not for everyone and so the point is go into it with wide open eyes and facts, other wise you may suffer disappointment and even financial hardship.

Buyer beware is universal however, and not restricted to MH's.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #31

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Exactly! Some people are either too literal or missing a gene
Old 02-02-2014, 02:48 PM   #32

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm on my third Thor product and for my money, I couldn't be happier. My wife and I are out every other weekend from the first week in April to late October every year. Things go wrong but I either fix them myself, get advise from those more knowledgeable than me, or like a lot of others, pay someone. But what I don't do is whine. I accept the challenges and deal with them. If you can't then "Don't buy a motor home!"
Old 02-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #33

Having owned 4 boats, 4 rv's and 2 jet skiis I can honestly say none have ever been a money pit. Buying new or nearly new, maintaining them including wash and wax and all they have ever cost me was initial purchase price, insurance and upgrades.
Being mechanically inclinded sure has it's benefits.
One happy camper
Old 02-02-2014, 04:52 PM   #34

While growing up 50 years ago every car I didn't own was crap. When I got old enough I found that any car well maintained could be a good car. The same is mostly true of any motorhome. I became an engineer and did a lot of design work on equipment. I can usually find the answer to most problems. While I could carry my 200 pound tool chest I don't. If a repair cannot be done with a screwdriver I likely will not do it. I found a long time ago that a professional service tech can do his job faster and better than I can. Of course finding a professional service tech in the RV world is a bit problematic. I don't count the dollars, I count the miles and the good times. I traveled over 2 million miles on airplanes and now I use an RV - it takes longer but has better seating, better food and I know who slept in the bed last night.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:44 PM   #35
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I thought this was a Troll post when I first read it, but then saw the OP was a Senior member. My feeling is that if you feel the way you do, why don't you sell your RV and just stay at home. A more appropriate title would have been New RV Owners, Must Read.

The way this is titled, it sounds like you should never buy anything. Why would you take the thrill out of a new RVer's excitement of getting into the RV life. My opinion, this was just dumb!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:59 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer
I'm on my third Thor product and for my money, I couldn't be happier. My wife and I are out every other weekend from the first week in April to late October every year. Things go wrong but I either fix them myself, get advise from those more knowledgeable than me, or like a lot of others, pay someone. But what I don't do is whine. I accept the challenges and deal with them. If you can't then "Don't buy a motor home!"
I'm glad you made this post. I read your original post and honestly thought it was one long, long whine. And possibly a few whimpers.
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:00 PM   #37

i am 100% with you as is why you can see my pic on the side

<<<<

i found a Rv that had a fire
i pulled every thing out of this Rv and even pulled the roof off and the motor and trans even the levelers

after just having a box to start with and a big shop to keep it under a roof why working on it and believe me i found so many things wrong that was just trash how it was made .. just some really bad ways to cut time on there part.. just as he says up there

yes yes we all do have to keep in mind the this gos down and road and have to stop and more and GVW have to be keep ed

so in 8 months i found all the higher end items to install and have touched every part that was ever made to all my own home made wiring too even adding a still box fro the frig to add 15 more mins to get out if the RV if there ever was a fire
to even a TPO roofing

all wiring from the motor down to the RV home side is all GXL high temp wiring installed as if it was in a airplane no games there

it is made my way drives my way and is 100% mine
Old 02-02-2014, 08:54 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a motorhome because I wanted one and could afford to operate and maintain it. I worked hard for my money and the last I heard was that when you die you sure cant take it with you. If my children need or expect my money when I die, then I raised them wrong. Most of us worked all our life and had few "toys" because we were providing for our families. Well, we got em grown so it is time for us to enjoy the fruits of our labors. Rving surely is not for everyone but if you enjoy it, go for it. Enjoy your life today because you may not be here tomorrow.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:19 PM   #39

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
I have owned a tent trailer, 2 5th wheel trailers, 2 airstreams, 2 traveler trailers, a 35' motorhome, current 33' Southwind. Some new, some used, but at the end of the day, if I didn't have a lot of electical/mechanical knowledge, they would have caused a lot of grief and $$$. I agree, buyer be wary.
Roger
Old 02-02-2014, 09:20 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
So far I haven't found any problem that money couldn't fix. I love my coach. If it breaks and I have the time and inclination I fix it, most of the time I prefer to drink a cold soda and watch the mechanic fix it. No difference in owning my S&B house, if I have the time I fix it, if not I call the contractor.

Nothing you buy is trouble free. All things require some kind of maintenance or repair. The cost is the only thing that changes.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:52 PM   #41
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great OP, Don

No Mfgt will ever share this warning...just too close to true, but great satire

No surprise there would be the Thor haters and those that are too thick to see what was being said...at least I have come to expect the naysayers. Only problem is that just because it is expected does not change how offensive these post are

Thanks for the laugh
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:18 PM   #42

DGShaffer - I have been motor homing for 34 years and don't agree with most of what you say. It is certainly true that some makers of RVs are motivated by making things cheap, but not all. I researched for a significant amount of time before I bought our latest coach and can tell you that Country Coach used quality materials, did a very good job of engineering and design, and still today has parts and reliable good service at a reasonable price. I spent months finding this out before I bought. I joined the RVCG years before buying and then poured over their materials before I bought. I narrowed it down to Country Coach and Foretravel. I am not sorry I picked CC.

Country Coach made motorhomes in Juncition City because that is where the founders were from.

IMHO people who are without any mechanical ability at all should buy very simple coaches. Generally speaking the more complex items are the ones that fail. Or rent.

I have many close RV friends who do not feel as you wrote. These are people with many different brands and models. I just spent two weeks in the desert with about 10 other coaches. Most of those coaches have few problems. Most of the owners love their machines.

Yes it is certainly true that it is hard to find good repair places. But they do exist. I have no intention of quitting RVing till I cannot drive one any more.

B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome