Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2014, 03:23 AM   #43

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I never thought about it but "Don't buy a Boat" either! But if you do... Don't say you weren't warned!

What a laugh.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 09:22 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I started camping with my grandfather in the 60's in a Chinook travel trailer and later he bought a Class C MOTORHOME. I have owned tents, 1 tent trailer, 3 camping trailers. We are now on our 5th motor home. My Son has a tent trailer. My daughter bought a new travel trailer last year. We are currently planing a family camping trip for Memorial Day. The RV is a lifestyle not an INVESTMENT! We love it and will continue as long as we can.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:47 AM   #45

Don, thanks for starting this thread - I agree with most of what you wrote and enjoyed all of the comments. I do feel sorry for the few who buy an RV and doesn't understand that things are going to fail just because you drove it, or jsut because it set for a while. I look at my Outlaw as a hobby. A labor of love!
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #46

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I know, it surprises me how many people seem surprised, shocked, and disappointed when their entry steps fail. I realize they shouldn't but they do! Mine failed on my way home from my trip to the factory for service! I read a few posts I remembered a while back, drove to Auto Zone, bought a Ford window winder, 20 minutes later I had a working set of steps.

I've heard that you have to leave your MH at a Camping World for three weeks to have that done
Old 02-03-2014, 10:51 AM   #47

Entegra Owners Club
Actually, I think you should buy a casket, use all your cash to stuff the padding, die and get buried in it. The casket won't depreciate, it just won't be reused. The dollars will be worth about the same as if you invest them in CDs after inflation and taxes.

Get some value out of your hard earned dollars
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:56 AM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Actually, I think you should buy a casket, use all your cash to stuff the padding, die and get buried in it. The casket won't depreciate, it just won't be reused. The dollars will be worth about the same as if you invest them in CDs after inflation and taxes.

Get some value out of your hard earned dollars
My plan is to die owing money. After all, you can't take it with you.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:24 PM   #49

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
A friend once told me... If I plan my finances just right, the check to the funeral home should bounce.

Two houses, a motor home, two cars, three motorcycles, and a business. I'm far from liquid but I enjoy my life.
Attached Files
Old 02-03-2014, 04:14 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sarcasm is my favorite type of humor and that's how I took the initial post. Seemed to be a light hearted tongue in cheek post directed at all of us who own these unruly beasts and love them even when they bite us in the shorts on occasion. I've started using smiley faces more when I'm kidding around because some people read thing differently than what I'm saying and take offense when I'm just trying to crack wise. Hope it helps. We"ll see.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:23 PM   #51

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
You are giving your money to a corporation that exists for one reason, and one reason only, no matter what their web site says about customers coming first, and that is to make MONEY.
Sounds like good business plan to me. I would sure hate to do business with a company that planned on going broke.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:24 PM   #52

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Where would we be without Emoticons! The world is changing right under our very feet!
Old 02-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #53

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's only money! I don't consider dollar signs of value in the big picture of life!

Safe travels!
RTinVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:41 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
RVing, like many other things has a cost of admission. (Full-timing in particular) RVs, especially those that are worth living in full time, are complex machines and even the best built among them have their issues. I spent most of the day yesterday dealing with a black tank full of poop that wouldn't drain into the sewer...what fun!

Aside from all the sacrifices, which are many, I wouldn't trade the freedom RV life has brought me. I've found a shortcut that lets me be a Californian without paying California taxes, live in the Desert when it's cold, live in New England in the summer, Florida in the winter, Seattle, Phoenix, San Antonio, Raleigh, Boston, St Petersburg, Houston, Flagstaff, Tacoma, Reno, The Grand Canyon...you name it, I've called it home for a little while. The beauty of this great land and the diversity are breathtaking and I've gotten a glimpse of so much of it. Sure I live in something only a bit larger than a movie star's closet, but life is simple and mostly uncomplicated. As my better half is used to saying: "My living room is small, but my back yard is enormous!"

Bring it on...I can clear poop clogs with the best of them!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:50 PM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricotec View Post
RVing, like many other things has a cost of admission. (Full-timing in particular) RVs, especially those that are worth living in full time, are complex machines and even the best built among them have their issues. I spent most of the day yesterday dealing with a black tank full of poop that wouldn't drain into the sewer...what fun! Aside from all the sacrifices, which are many, I wouldn't trade the freedom RV life has brought me. I've found a shortcut that lets me be a Californian without paying California taxes, live in the Desert when it's cold, live in New England in the summer, Florida in the winter, Seattle, Phoenix, San Antonio, Raleigh, Boston, St Petersburg, Houston, Flagstaff, Tacoma, Reno, The Grand Canyon...you name it, I've called it home for a little while. The beauty of this great land and the diversity are breathtaking and I've gotten a glimpse of so much of it. Sure I live in something only a bit larger than a movie star's closet, but life is simple and mostly uncomplicated. As my better half is used to saying: "My living room is small, but my back yard is enormous!" Bring it on...I can clear poop clogs with the best of them!
And that pretty much sums up, at least for me, the attitude of a successful full timer.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Fancy toilets. Really? Yea. In the constant struggle to design different floor plans and/or add more basement space the manufacturers are getting creative with placing black tanks and plumbing in relation to the toilets in rather interesting layouts requiring odd toilets. What a simple idea - flushing the toilet - now left to electronic gods. Macerator type toilets that fail will ruin your trip quickly. Don't get me started on VacuFlush systems....arrrrgh. We see several of these weekly for repairs due to loss of vacuum somewhere and they're never fun to fix as they're always backed up and you're sure to become soaked in effluent while repairing them. I prefer having the black tank right underneath the porcelain princess, pushing the pedal and letting gravity do it's work. In either the macerator or vacuflush systems you have no way to bypass them - if they fail you are going to be using a porta-potty somewhere.
ROFL, I learned an important lesson on my last RV. Was looking for a nice china toilet to replace my old Thetford plastic square toilet. One of those "we'll come to you" RV repairmen offered us a "perfectly good" Aria Deluxe toilet that a client had replaced....electric residential flush...cheap price...sounded great. It was after that when i was introduced to the wonderful world of Norcold/Thetford and their defective, destructive products. All was well for a few weeks, then the toilet started flushing by itself at odd times. Before long it would flush for hours on end, over and over. Then it wouldn't when it was full and needed to. We were afraid to leave our RV for fear we'd find it flooded and ruined when we came back. We finally disconnected the power and ordered a manual version of the same toilet. The relief that we experienced knowing the toilet would flush every time when we pressed the pedal... wouldn't get stuck, wouldn't open and close by itself, etc was profound. I've learned the hard way when it comes to the necessities (toilets, shower, refrig, etc.) KISS is the philosophy to embrace.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome